Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 22, 2013 8:06:13 PM

My first try at building a gaming pc. I want to run games like arms 2 and 3, BF 4 and Dayz Standalone. Here are my components: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aW4Y

More about : gaming build

a c 406 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 8:09:17 PM

Change that RAM to low profile and get an XFX550 PSU and everything else looks good to go. A 64gb SSD will only fir the OS and one game. Get a 120gb SSD if you want to install games on it.

I would drop the SSD completely and upgrade the PSU as stated and get a better case. (Corsair 200r, NZXT source 220, Coolermaster haf912)
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 227 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 8:43:05 PM

Made a new build that is similar to yours, but is better for the price. Also don't worry about the ram, even with high heat spreaders they will still fit :) .
Vengeance+212 EVO: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1686490/z77-extr...

Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($58.65 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1032.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 23:53 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 8:45:49 PM

You don't need the low profile ram in that build, however, you can find faster ram for less money.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1063.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 23:45 EDT-0400)

The evga 760 isn't bad, but if it's not the ACX version, I wouldn't buy it. This uses another combo which is actually the parts I'd buy anyways, so that's a bonus.
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
August 22, 2013 8:52:29 PM

Swordkd said:
You don't need the low profile ram in that build, however, you can find faster ram for less money.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1063.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 23:45 EDT-0400)

The evga 760 isn't bad, but if it's not the ACX version, I wouldn't buy it. This uses another combo which is actually the parts I'd buy anyways, so that's a bonus.


The PSU is bad on that unit, and definitely not worth the price.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 4:56:24 AM

That PSU got a good review from hardwaresecrets.com, and is listed as a tier 2 from: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx . I agree that it's a little more expensive than I'd like, but there weren't any good deals at the time. The only other unit even close is a Corsair CX unit, and I don't like to recommend those except extreme budget cases. Could have recommended a 500w - 600w unit, but I opted for a little more power.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 4:20:03 PM

Here is a new modified build with input form some of my friends. Here are the components: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1vu6H
I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thanks,
Duke
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 4:48:25 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($58.65 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $927.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 19:53 EDT-0400)

Pretty much an upgrade on your build across the board. Newer Cpu and Motherboard, faster Ram. Larger HDD and better SSD.

The case is a matter of personal preference, but Nzxt makes good enclosures, and the one you have listed is overpriced for what is essentially a budget enclosure. That case you have listed has zero options for cable routing, so when compared to newer builds, a build using that case looks like a clusterfluff of cables. You do lose the side window, but there is a great case on sale right now if you buy it today. Fractal Design Define R4 w/window titanium grey for a great price that I'd recommend if you purchase today. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Higher quality Psu with higher wattage rating and modular. I did drop down slightly in performance with the Gpu. It's a terrific deal right now, has the best cooling solution for ANY graphics card right now(Twin Frozr) and also comes with the Radeon 3 free game bundle. The actual difference in performance is slight, but the 760 is faster. I just don't feel it's worth the extra 60 dollars and losing 3 free games to buy a 760.

Also saved some money overall over your build.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 4:58:28 PM

Thank you so much. How ever I really like Nvidia so what is a similar nvidia GPU. I just have heard bad things about Radeon and want a Nvidia (only heard good things from friends). Would a 660ti be better? Also that PSU seems a little expensive.
m
0
l
a c 406 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 5:02:05 PM

No a 660ti will not be better than a 7950. You would need a gtx670 or gtx760 to compete with an hd7950. AMD has come a long way with drivers are are even better than Nvidia in some places. One is not better than the other. They are simply different. Its like saying Intel is better than AMD. It just isn't true. Neither is better.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 5:08:13 PM

I will get the 760, for some reason I just do not trust AMD because of their performance in the past. I feel that the power supply is a little expensive though. Any other recommendations?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 5:08:33 PM

If you are dead set on going nVidia then, I'd do this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($130.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($58.65 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $988.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 20:03 EDT-0400)

I'll be honest though, with the price you pay and the games you get free, the 7950 is a much better buy. The difference in performance is very slight, and with the nice cooling solution on the MSI card, you can easily overclock to match the performance of a good 760. The issues with Radeons is from using two of them in crossfire, single cards are great though. Here is a pic of the games you can get free with that video card.

Share
a c 406 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 5:09:23 PM

Nope. It is worth it. It is 100% the most important part of the computer. If you want something a bit cheaper, get an XFX550 unit. Still very high quality and about $15 or so cheaper.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 5:12:05 PM

You can get a Corsair CX600 for about 40 dollars after MiR. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600 It's not as good quality of a Psu, and it's not modular but it is cheaper. I usually only recommend them for budget builds, which yours is not.

There are usually better deals on Psu's too, but for some reason they are really lacking. Xfx usually has a great deal going, but I'm not seeing anything.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 5:53:21 PM

Thanks so much for the help!!!!
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 8:21:36 PM

Swordkd said:
That PSU got a good review from hardwaresecrets.com, and is listed as a tier 2 from: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx . I agree that it's a little more expensive than I'd like, but there weren't any good deals at the time. The only other unit even close is a Corsair CX unit, and I don't like to recommend those except extreme budget cases. Could have recommended a 500w - 600w unit, but I opted for a little more power.


TheIronDUke said:
Thanks so much for the help!!!!


Get an i5 ivy bridge if you want to save money and get better performance.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 8:40:56 PM

How does an IB perform better than a Haswell? Ten dollars difference between the 3570k and 4670k AFTER MiR. Motherboard is about the same too.
m
0
l
a c 227 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 8:44:29 PM

Swordkd said:
How does an IB perform better than a Haswell? Ten dollars difference between the 3570k and 4670k AFTER MiR. Motherboard is about the same too.


Ivy bridge is only 5% below Haswell, however it can overclock to higher GHz, which surpasses the 5% speed.
m
0
l
a c 406 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 7:19:33 AM

I agree to just stick with Haswell. Its newer and on a new socket. Just makes sense.
m
0
l
!