Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

No improvement after RAM upgrade

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Components
  • Kingston
Last response: in Components
Share
August 23, 2013 8:13:05 AM

Hi guys,
so I've just bought myself a Kingston HyperX Black DDR3 1600MHz 2x4GB kit but I can't notice any difference. In addition to my concerns is the Windows Experience Index - it didn't show any change as well. I can't understand how this is possible because I've moved from 4GB DDR2-800 to 8GB DDR3-1600 (running at 1333 because of my arrogant CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 945). Should I overvolt or make any other changes in BIOS? My motherboard supports both DDR2 and DDR3 and I'm sure I've put the modules to the right slots.

More about : improvement ram upgrade

August 23, 2013 8:20:39 AM

Get 2 of the same ram then it will run faster in dual channel. Also, do you use a 32-bit os?
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 8:23:58 AM

If you had RAM running at 1333 and now you have RAM running at 1333, what do you expect to change? The windows experience, which is pointless anyways, doesn't care about the quantity of ram.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 23, 2013 8:24:57 AM

getochkn said:
If you had RAM running at 1333 and now you have RAM running at 1333, what do you expect to change? The windows experience, which is pointless anyways, doesn't care about the quantity of ram.


^ also this
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 8:27:59 AM

getochkn said:
If you had RAM running at 1333 and now you have RAM running at 1333, what do you expect to change? The windows experience, which is pointless anyways, doesn't care about the quantity of ram.


I had DDR2 RAM running at maximum of 800mhz, now it's DDR3 at 1333
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 8:28:56 AM

aatje92 said:
Get 2 of the same ram then it will run faster in dual channel. Also, do you use a 32-bit os?


I'm using 64bit windows 7 ultimate and both RAM sticks are exactly the same, that's why they are sold in kits of two.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 8:30:54 AM

Sorry read it wrong thought you had both running at the same time. Well what the other guy said then, what did you expect to change? Why did you upgrade your RAM?
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 8:36:27 AM

aatje92 said:
Sorry read it wrong thought you had both running at the same time. Well what the other guy said then, what did you expect to change? Why did you upgrade your RAM?


DDR2 is a older and slower technology than DDR3. The most obvious thing is the speed comparison - DDR2 goes up to 1066 mhz while DDR3 can go up to 1866 I believe
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 8:44:20 AM

Yes but that will only mean increase in performance if it was a bottleneck, but in this case your cpu is the bottleneck, so it will not get more performance from faster ram.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 10:56:48 AM

did you insert the RAM in the corresponding dual channel slots? 1st and 3rd slots or 2nd and 4th slots on the mobo? it really does matter...
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 11:16:08 AM

ddr2 ram is at 800mhz but its latency is around 5 or so, ddr3 is at 1300 mhz or 1600mhz or watever it is (goes up to 3500mhz or so coming up) but the latency on ddr3 is 9/10/11. lower latency is better. not to say that evens them out but with ram, as long as you have enough of it or are running an amd apu, you almost will never notice a difference.
m
0
l

Best solution

August 23, 2013 11:23:27 AM

You shouldn't have expected a performance increase from new memory. Unless your system is memory starved, memory is one of the last things you ever should upgrade for a performance increase. You will rarely ever see a performance increase with memory, even from 1600-2400 unless your using an APU or the likes.

Point is, you wasted your money, I say return them and put the money towards a new graphics card.
Share
August 23, 2013 11:24:10 AM

ittimjones said:
did you insert the RAM in the corresponding dual channel slots? 1st and 3rd slots or 2nd and 4th slots on the mobo? it really does matter...


There are 4 RAM slots in my motherboard, two of them are for the DDR2 and the other two are for the DDR3, there aren't many ways of inserting them wrong :D 
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 11:28:59 AM

edogawa said:
You shouldn't have expected a performance increase from new memory. Unless your system is memory starved, memory is one of the last things you ever should upgrade for a performance increase. You will rarely ever see a performance increase with memory, even from 1600-2400 unless your using an APU or the likes.

Point is, you wasted your money, I say return them and put the money towards a new graphics card.


Hah, I bought a gpu just a month ago, RAM was the cherry on a cake for my build. Still, I hope 8 gigs will do better than the former 4 as I've sold them for just as much as I've paid for my new RAM
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 11:31:13 AM

Kostis, that works out well then, no money lost. :D 

Don't worry about it though, if you upgrade motherboard/cpu, at least you can keep using same memory sticks, although DDR4 is around the corner.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 11:53:35 AM

You also had a hybrid board running two slot types. Generally the chipset will be from the oldest slots era, and tho the new ram can run faster, the rest of the bus system will still be the same so you wont see much if any improvement. As was mentioned, volume counts more than speed and 4 gig was enough for your system needs.
m
0
l
!