Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Monitor Suggestions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 23, 2013 10:49:01 AM

I'm looking to purchase a 27" monitor for movies, general browsing, and light gaming. My budget maxes out around $300...I might be a bit flexible with that.

Suggestions on a good midrange for that price?

Thanks!

More about : monitor suggestions

Best solution

a b C Monitor
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 11:05:01 AM

In your budget, the only type of 27" monitor you can get is a 1080p one. I would stay away from this, however, since 1080p at 27" starts to look somewhat blurry/ more like a TV. I would instead recommend a 24 inch monitor for its added clarity. If you want 27 inches, go for a 2560x1440 monitor.

Here's a good 24 inch monitor:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-m2gcr

It's 1920x1200, so 16:10 instead of 16:9. This pretty much gives you a few extra pixels at the bottom which can be used to view more of a web page, for example. Also, the monitor is an IPS one, so the colors will be superior to what you would see on a regular (TN) monitor/ panel.
Share
August 23, 2013 11:10:31 AM

Munchbot said:
In your budget, the only type of 27" monitor you can get is a 1080p one. I would stay away from this, however, since 1080p at 27" starts to look somewhat blurry/ more like a TV. I would instead recommend a 24 inch monitor for its added clarity. If you want 27 inches, go for a 2560x1440 monitor.

Here's a good 24 inch monitor:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-m2gcr

It's 1920x1200, so 16:10 instead of 16:9. This pretty much gives you a few extra pixels at the bottom which can be used to view more of a web page, for example. Also, the monitor is an IPS one, so the colors will be superior to what you would see on a regular (TN) monitor/ panel.


I had just come across an article supporting your argument. Thanks for the tip. Those dang 2560x1440 are soooo expensive. WOW!

Thanks again. Looks like I'll start saving my pennies.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 11:21:05 AM

byogamingpc said:
The QNIX QX2710 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI44US/ref=as_li_q... is an awesome monitor for the price. I'm hoping to get one soon.


It's risky to buy those, since you get very limited support/ warranty, and you're screwed if you have dead pixels on your panel:

In the description itself it says: " Qnix monitor Defective standard (up to 5 white pixels are normal)"

I would save up my pennies and get a dell u2713hm if I really wanted a 27 inch monitor.
m
0
l
August 23, 2013 11:31:53 AM

Munchbot said:
byogamingpc said:
The QNIX QX2710 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI44US/ref=as_li_q... is an awesome monitor for the price. I'm hoping to get one soon.


It's risky to buy those, since you get very limited support/ warranty, and you're screwed if you have dead pixels on your panel:

In the description itself it says: " Qnix monitor Defective standard (up to 5 white pixels are normal)"

I would save up my pennies and get a dell u2713hm if I really wanted a 27 inch monitor.


Hasn't the U2713HM had a lot of QC issues? It seems like every other review on Newegg has someone listing a Con and the manufacturer responding.

I'll do some internet surfing. It's a start, at least, to save for.

m
0
l
a b C Monitor
a b 4 Gaming
August 23, 2013 1:19:56 PM

Phosphonothioic said:
Munchbot said:
byogamingpc said:
The QNIX QX2710 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI44US/ref=as_li_q... is an awesome monitor for the price. I'm hoping to get one soon.


It's risky to buy those, since you get very limited support/ warranty, and you're screwed if you have dead pixels on your panel:

In the description itself it says: " Qnix monitor Defective standard (up to 5 white pixels are normal)"

I would save up my pennies and get a dell u2713hm if I really wanted a 27 inch monitor.


Hasn't the U2713HM had a lot of QC issues? It seems like every other review on Newegg has someone listing a Con and the manufacturer responding.

I'll do some internet surfing. It's a start, at least, to save for.



If the Dell has issues, you can always send it back and get another. It's just a matter of the amount of backlight bleed and tint, it's like that with any IPS display.
m
0
l
!