Solved

Recommended PSU for my build considering low power consumption

INTEL CORE i3 3220
SAPPHIRE HD7750 1GB DDR5 128BIT

Do i need to get a lowest watts PSU that is enough to power my system to save money on my electric bills?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recommended psu build low power consumption
  1. No , the computer will only use the power it needs.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($43.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $43.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 16:22 EDT-0400)
  2. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    The computer will only use the power it needs.


    I read an article last day saying higher wattage PSU has a higher pull of power
  3. Not true , your computer will only use the power it needs to run.
  4. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Enermax 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $29.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 16:25 EDT-0400)
  5. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Enermax 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $29.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 16:25 EDT-0400)


    oops minimum power req for the card is 400w
  6. Lemuel Nabong said:
    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Enermax 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $29.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 16:25 EDT-0400)


    oops minimum power req for the card is 400w


    That's recommended because they have to account for the people that are going to buy $10 power supplies that would melt if they came anywhere near your rated capacity. My own i3-530 with a 5770 in it pulls about 220 watts from the wall when running (as measured with a Watt's Up Pro meter).

    SR-71 is correct, the machine will only use what it needs, the rating on the power supply is the maximum it is capable of supplying, not how much it uses.
  7. Traciatim said:
    Lemuel Nabong said:
    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Enermax 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $29.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-23 16:25 EDT-0400)


    oops minimum power req for the card is 400w


    That's recommended because they have to account for the people that are going to buy $10 power supplies that would melt if they came anywhere near your rated capacity. My own i3-530 with a 5770 in it pulls about 220 watts from the wall when running (as measured with a Watt's Up Pro meter).

    SR-71 is correct, the machine will only use what it needs, the rating on the power supply is the maximum it is capable of supplying, not how much it uses.



    Get it thanks. But how about that efficiency thing? Most of the PSU are efficient at 50% load, will i consider that in choosing my PSU to meet that 50%? say that ill be on 100-130watts load on average?
  8. Best answer
    I would get the 450w , for some extra headroom.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Sapphire Components