HD 7850 not recognised as a video card.

There are several other threads related to issues with 7850 not being recognized however i really just want some advice specific to my issue.

I have bought a new Powercolor HD 7850 GPU as well as a new motherboard (Asus M5A78L-M/USB3). I have insured it is properly inserted into the PCI-e slot as well as connecting a 6 pin pci power cable.

The Problem is however that it is not recognized at all in device manager.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version as well as install the graphics drivers.

Other threads put the issue down to insufficient power, however I have checked and the PSU is 550 W (coolermaster RP-550-PCAR).

Importantly my monitor is plugged into the Graphics card and the monitor shows the proper display.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok. I have now tried a full uninstall of graphics drivers and reinstall with no luck.

I put my old graphics card in and it was recognized immediately. - so not a slot problem. (old graphics card is HD 4850 toxic).

Thanks again
3 answers Last reply
More about 7850 recognised video card
  1. Disabled the onboard graphics. Did nothing, still able to use 1920 x 1080. Have tried rolling back to an older bios & reinstalling the motherboard drivers.

Is this a windows issue? Im going to try the card in another PC and then reinstall windows.
  2. There is nothing wrong with the card, runs perfectly in by brothers pc.

This leads me to 3 conclusions

The 12V1 pin is not powerful enough (16 x12 = 192 W), where my brother has (20 x 12 = 240 W). Would this lead to the device not being recognized at all?

Its a windows/diver issue that can be solved by reinstalling windows.

The GPU and Mobo are incompatible.
  3. I have solved the issue, and although this was nothing more than a monologue I will post my solution for any others with this problem.

As i should have known it was a driver issue, The card came up as 'standard VGA adapter' (which i origonally mistook for the onboard). Although i had uninstalled and reinstalled the corect drivers (several times) the catalyst instal manager is useless and did not properly install the drivers.

I went into device manager and pressed update driver. I then manually chose the correct file under :C\AMD\Support. (note, not the downloaded file).

This properly installed the drivers and now its working like a dream.

If anyone ever has a similar problem send me a message and i will do all I can to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Graphics