Has my 660 kicked the bucket?

Flux_Dubstep

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
So, picture the scenario

Here I am, playing some payday 2, fans on gpu going pretty quick, since it was getting pretty damn hot before, so I changed the fan curve (It only got steeper)

Then suddenly, out of nowhere a chequer effect takes over the screen, with payday on one side and what looked like static noise on the other.

Now, hoping this was a software issue (which it probably wasn't) I reset my C:// Drive using the windows 8 recovery disk. But now, whenever I turn on my computer, it will last for about 2 minutes, then the screen will go black,but the monitor will still be on for a few seconds (As if it was showing the color black)
Then after these few seconds the monitor will look like it has lost power (no display) but the power led will still be on

I left it like this over night, and at sometime in the night, the screen was back with full video but then in the morning, it had gone again

I am running an EVGA GTX660 SC
i5 3570k on P8Z77 V LX
Stock cooler, 8gb corsair veng
650w coolermaster psu

Thinking it was a gpu problem, I took out the gpu and tried with those lovely integrated graphics, As of yet, The problem has not started.

Solution
HERE is a complete uninstall method for nvidia. Do a COMPLETE uninstall of the nvidia drivers/software. Download the current certified (not beta) drivers from nvidia (not evga, not microsoft) and reinstall.

Mark
If the IGPU is working correctly, you've nailed the issue. If you get a short time on the gpu and then a bsod, your 660 has let the magic smoke escape.

Run hardware monitor as an autostart with the gpu in place. Enable the log feature and after the crash, check the temp rise in the gpu.

Mark

Flux_Dubstep

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
I don't get bsod's. (Windows 8, unless there is a way to enable them)

As I reset windows with the unlikely hope of it making things work, I do not have the drivers installed
Anytime I try to install the drivers, It will crash at varying points of the installation, so with no drivers, I cannot detect my gpu in hwmonitor or any similar programs.

I have tried with multiple drivers but still no success

Try the gpu in a secondary pcie slot. If that cures it, you have a bad pcie slot on the m/b. If not, I suspect your card may be bad, but if you can try it in a different pc or try a different gpu in yours, that would be the best way to close the possibilities.

Mark