Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is an H100i adequate for overclocking an FX8350 to 5ghz?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 24, 2013 8:07:58 AM

It's all in the title. My case is a Thermaltake Chaser MK-I btw... And the H100i is i push-pull
a b K Overclocking
a c 94 à CPUs
August 24, 2013 8:11:25 AM

Yes it should keep it cool but I recommend you get better cooling fans than the stock fans, Noctua have good, quiet fans.
m
0
l
August 24, 2013 8:13:03 AM

Azrael47 said:
Yes it should keep it cool but I recommend you get better cooling fans than the stock fans, Noctua have good, quiet fans.


Yeah I know that, I have 2 200mm case fans on the top of the H100i and stock fans on the other side. I know that the stock fans suck, but $40-50 more on my fans is just a little too much for me right now...
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 145 K Overclocking
a c 198 à CPUs
August 24, 2013 8:17:27 AM

Its adequate to wake up ya neighbors :)  Fan noise not only problem and w/ quiet fans it doesn't cool as well as teh Phanteks, Noctua etc. Pump noise also an isssue.

The 100i can cool ya CPU about 0.5C than th betetr air coolers (i.e. Phanteks PH-TC14-PE). However it does so at close to 40 dBA and id consider anything over 20 dbA unacceptable. If ya must go self contained water, suggest the Coolermaster Eisberg Presitege 240L or if not in US, the equivalent Swiftech 220 ....listen to both here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTf0Vq1j4Ec (breaks 60 dBA at 2:25)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKSVKv3Sxk (46ish at 2:40)

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a c 94 à CPUs
August 24, 2013 8:17:38 AM

Well it is not that they suck as they are part of the SP series which can shift a lot of air through very little clearance. They are pretty loud fans is from what I have heard so if you are not bothered by how loud they are then leave them and slowly invest in better fans such as ....

As long as you have an all round good cooling solution then you will be able to overclock that CPU. Remember that the FX 8350 is a power house when overclocked so make sure you have a capable/quality PSU.





Remember to select a solution in this thread the forum members appreciate it!
m
0
l
August 24, 2013 8:20:58 AM

Azrael47 said:
Well it is not that they suck as they are part of the SP series which can shift a lot of air through very little clearance. They are pretty loud fans is from what I have heard so if you are not bothered by how loud they are then leave them and slowly invest in better fans such as ....

As long as you have an all round good cooling solution then you will be able to overclock that CPU. Remember that the FX 8350 is a power house when overclocked so make sure you have a capable/quality PSU.





Remember to select a solution in this thread the forum members appreciate it!


So to switch the topic, what is a good cooler to get this thing to 5ghz? My mobo is an M5A99FX btw and my GPU is a 7970. The PSU is 620w
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a c 94 à CPUs
August 24, 2013 8:24:10 AM

A very promising cooler that has not been released yet is this - http://www.geek.com/chips/zalman-launches-worlds-first-...

However the H100i will perform well for overclocking. The PSU if it is a good quality brand (like seasonic or XFX) will suffice. I don't think I would overclock to 5.0Ghz instantly I would do it in increments, however if you know what you are doing then.....

Share
August 24, 2013 8:29:27 AM

Azrael47 said:
A very promising cooler that has not been released yet is this - http://www.geek.com/chips/zalman-launches-worlds-first-...

However the H100i will perform well for overclocking. The PSU if it is a good quality brand (like seasonic or XFX) will suffice. I don't think I would overclock to 5.0Ghz instantly I would do it in increments, however if you know what you are doing then.....



That cooler looks like a beast! If it's around $130 or less when it comes out, I'm definately getting that! And the blue LED matches my case too...
m
0
l
!