7870 xt not running at 100% usage

Dingleberg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
I just got my i5 3350p last week, upgrading from an i3 2130. I have a 7870 xt and the xfx core 550w psu. I was having lower than normal gpu usage in games like bf3 at about 75% at ultra with my framerate hitting the 40s-50s. Task manager says my cpu is hitting into the low 90s and high 80s in intensive gun fights. Also my cpu is at 3.3GHz when I do this.

I can't think of any sort of restriction that I can have. I would really hate to have just wasted $200 on something that didn't really help. Anyone have any sort of help?

Solution

All desktop i5's are quad-core parts. The issue he is having may be the opposite of what you're suggesting. To my knowledge, BF3 only utilizes four cores in multiplayer. If you are player single player, only two cores are used and you see no benefit over the i3 in that situation.

What frame rates are you getting?

*edit* hah, fast posts ftl.

Dingleberg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

The 3350p is not a dual core cpu. I am getting almost the same fps as with the dual core though.

Ah right I read that 'i3 2130' was your current processor, missed that. Anyway, BF3 is particularly CPU intensive online, so its nothing out of the ordinary, so long as your FPS is fine (drops to 40 at Ultra is to be expected) then its nothing to worry about. An overclocked processor would have helped.

Dingleberg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

Sorry, I just used ultra as an example. Even on low with no vsync, I can get into the hundreds, but it will still drop below 60 at times. Also, this is measured on a 64p canals server.

All desktop i5's are quad-core parts. The issue he is having may be the opposite of what you're suggesting. To my knowledge, BF3 only utilizes four cores in multiplayer. If you are player single player, only two cores are used and you see no benefit over the i3 in that situation.

What frame rates are you getting?

*edit* hah, fast posts ftl.

Solution

Dingleberg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012

Framerates vary, but avg about 53 on ultra at 75% gpu usage. What gets me though, is that on low with no vsync, I still have frame drops sometimes at only 30% usage.