Sign in with
Your question
Solved

new i5 2310 idle high or normal?

Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2013 11:24:06 AM

hi all, just did a new build the other day luckily enough i was able to finally upgrade from the good ol' intel 775 socket to the new i series i5 2310 sandy bridge. i am well aware that stock HSF's aren't all that good however my temps seem quite high. i have done many installs before so i am already sure i installed the HFS correctly and everything. under normal idle conditions the cores run at 89F to as high as 100F i have checked both with hw monitor and core temp and both result with those same temp readings. during normal gaming the max temp i have seen so far is around 135-139F of course my cpu never sees the 100% full load. average usage during benchmarking games around 67%. but when trying prime95 for testing system stability i am forced to stop running the workers reaching temps uncomfortably high. around 140-145F and risng. the Tjmax said for this cpu is 160F i read online so i stopped all torture tests before it hit 150F which im sure it would. is this normal since its using a stock heat sink or may there be something wrong possibly? im very very low on a budget right now due to the overall cost spent on this new build so a new HSF may or may not be do-able do to low funds. thanks for any and all help! i have never owned the i5 series so im not familiar with its traits for temps. but it seems a bit high for normal to me.

More about : 2310 idle high normal

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 24, 2013 11:37:15 AM

That's normal. Pretty cool, actually.

Mine can reach up to 180F during intense gaming. (I do have a new cooler coming though)
a c 295 à CPUs
August 24, 2013 11:37:19 AM

The stock heatsinks can be fairly bad simply put. For future reference when referring to temps, use C I got a little scared when I saw 100 but it was F. After converting your temps, 32C idle is good, and hitting 62C under prime95 is warm, but by no means hot, its pretty low for prime95. My 965 hits 60C while gaming.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2013 11:47:52 AM

John Bauer said:

Mine can reach up to 180F during intense gaming. (I do have a new cooler coming though)

ouch thats pretty hot still. so even though the thermal said for this 2310 is around 160F my temps should still be okay then? i used to run a Q6600 775 socket overclocked and it ran 120's 130's but never as high as i seen this i5 get. thanks for the input
m
l
August 24, 2013 11:49:29 AM

Gam3r01 said:
The stock heatsinks can be fairly bad simply put. For future reference when referring to temps, use C I got a little scared when I saw 100 but it was F. After converting your temps, 32C idle is good, and hitting 62C under prime95 is warm, but by no means hot, its pretty low for prime95. My 965 hits 60C while gaming.

well agreed for stock HSF. i have an open panel case so the side is off. i only have one intake fan right now in the front as well with no exhaust or anything. i have a large 120mm i should really hook up soon it might help some. thanks for the feeback
m
l
a c 295 à CPUs
August 24, 2013 11:52:02 AM

Adding more fans will help, and when you get the money an aftermarket cooler like the 212 evo would be good as well. Right now its warm but nothing bad, or anything that requires immediate attention.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2013 11:53:08 AM

demonsparkx said:
John Bauer said:

ouch thats pretty hot still. so even though the thermal said for this 2310 is around 160F my temps should still be okay then? i used to run a Q6600 775 socket overclocked and it ran 120's 130's but never as high as i seen this i5 get. thanks for the input

Do you have the stock Intel CPU fan and thermal paste? Because the cooler is absolutely awful, unless you're a normal consumer. I would recommend getting a different cooler and thermal paste, if you have the money.

Hyper 212 EVO
Arctic Silver 5
m
l
August 24, 2013 12:14:34 PM

John Bauer said:
demonsparkx said:
John Bauer said:

Do you have the stock Intel CPU fan and thermal paste? Because the cooler is absolutely awful, unless you're a normal consumer. I would recommend getting a different cooler and thermal paste, if you have the money.

Hyper 212 EVO
Arctic Silver 5

yes sadly thats exactly what im using, the BOX cpu HSF with pre applied thermal paste. as of right now i dont think i can afford much, i previously ran a H55 corsair closed loop water cooler when i upgraded my q6600 system and it never broke 120F with it. they're only around 60$ so i may try and get another but i will also highly consider your newegg links due to my funds are very bad right now after this build. thanks again
m
l
November 23, 2013 3:50:34 PM

thanks for the replies all. might as well close this thread i suppose afterwards though. i managed to throw a H55 cooler in my system, kept the cpu much much cooler. never over 119-120F. as compared to the stock HSF that i was using, which was bringing temps near 160F +
m
l
!