Solved

Asking for advice on Very Low Budget Gaming PC. ASAP

Hello guys! :D
It's my 1st time here..
I am learning how to build a PC, and found that Tom's hardware guides and information are really helpful.

So thing is, on first week of july, my sweet old PC is on fire(literally) because of electricity problem in my house back then.
So rather than dilly-dally, i'm asking help to build a new PC and i know that you guys are willing to help. :D

Approximate Purchase Date: Next couple of days (today is 8/25/2013)

Budget Range: $300-$400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (CS-GO, Dota2, HoN, Skyrim)

Parts Not Required: I have Monitor, HDD, keyboard, mouse, and speaker

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I dont quite understand, sorry..

Country: Jakarta, Indonesia

Parts Preferences: none in particular

Overclocking: no, but maybe in the future..

SLI or Crossfire: not really needed, but maybe in the future when i got money :p ..

Monitor Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Additional Comments:
I have win 7 32bit and external DVD-RW.
the most important thing is future upgradibilty, so i prefer to use an 1155 intel socket or AM3+ (amd) for motherboard.

Thanks guys, i really appreciate your support! ;D
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice low budget gaming asap
  1. No $400 pc will play CoD
  2. FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    No $400 pc will play CoD


    Ok then i will omit CoD from my game list :)
  3. Best answer
    FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    No $400 pc will play CoD


    Not true at all. I've had $400 laptops playing CoD on low to medium settings a couple years ago, and the Xbox 360 can play every CoD game at 60 fps. You don't think a $400 desktop custom built can play it optimally? I'll introduce you to a few things, Jakbes:

    "Preferred Website(s) for Parts" just means what website do you usually like to buy from? For me, I like to use Newegg but since you're in a different country it's really up to you and a matter of where you want to have your parts shipped from.

    "SLI or Crossfire" are technologies used by Nvidia and AMD respectively in order to make 2 Graphics Card work in unison with each other to make your system far more powerful than just using 1 Graphics Card. Since you have a low budget, you're probably not considering getting 2 GPUs anyway.

    As for the actual parts you'll need, I like to use a PC buying guide occasionally and this one works very well:
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/

    Go for the "Entry" level tier of parts. It's cheap, affordable, and I guarantee you'll very Black Ops VERY WELL on that system. Plus, since you're not buying a Hard Drive with it, you'll actually save $59 so the total price should only be about $331, not including Shipping costs. If you feel you get the budget, feel free to try the "Modest" level tier instead. But ultimately, you'll still be able to play all the games you mentioned (including CoD Black Ops) on at least Medium settings.

    I have an important question, though: Is the Hard Drive you're going to use brand new or does it have data on it already?
  4. Thank you very much deus gladorium for the information, really appreciate it man.

    err, My hard drive have data on it already..

    also i got 2 more question..

    In Graphic Cards, i've seen something like this:
    1GB 128 bit DDR5.

    What differences between 1GB and 2gb?
    also what differences between 128bit, 256 bit, etc?
    A brief and simple info will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

    PS: im looking into the link that you gave me right now :D
  5. Jakbes said:
    Thank you very much deus gladorium for the information, really appreciate it man.

    err, My hard drive have data on it already..

    also i got 2 more question..

    In Graphic Cards, i've seen something like this:
    1GB 128 bit DDR5.

    What differences between 1GB and 2gb?
    also what differences between 128bit, 256 bit, etc?
    A brief and simple info will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

    PS: im looking into the link that you gave me right now :D


    128 bit and 256 bit in this case both relate to Memory Bandwidth. It basically has to do with how quickly the Memory and the GPU can exchange information in a single instance. We refer to these bit rates in video cards as "Bus Width". When you multiply bus width by the memory clock and by the transfer rate of the memory (i.e. DDR2/DDR3/DDR5 RAM; DDR5 is the fastest) you get the memory bandwidth. The faster the memory bandwidth, the better.

    The difference between 1 GB and 2 GB in the context you've seen them is the amount of video memory a card has. Video memory (VRAM) is just like regular memory (RAM), the only difference is that video memory is memory that is dedicated just for the graphics card.

    While these are important in GPUs, it's really just easier to look at benchmarks of these cards. Benchmarks will tell you how efficient the Graphics Card really is for your gaming tasks.

    As for your harddrive, since it has data on it I recommend you back up your important data (i.e. documents, photos, videos, etc.) somewhere because you're likely going to have to format your harddrive since it's going to be in a new motherboard and you're going to have new drivers and other things. Just a recommendation.
  6. Deus Gladiorum said:


    128 bit and 256 bit in this case both relate to Memory Bandwidth. It basically has to do with how quickly the Memory and the GPU can exchange information in a single instance. We refer to these bit rates in video cards as "Bus Width". When you multiply bus width by the memory clock and by the transfer rate of the memory (i.e. DDR2/DDR3/DDR5 RAM; DDR5 is the fastest) you get the memory bandwidth. The faster the memory bandwidth, the better.

    The difference between 1 GB and 2 GB in the context you've seen them is the amount of video memory a card has. Video memory (VRAM) is just like regular memory (RAM), the only difference is that video memory is memory that is dedicated just for the graphics card.

    While these are important in GPUs, it's really just easier to look at benchmarks of these cards. Benchmarks will tell you how efficient the Graphics Card really is for your gaming tasks.

    As for your harddrive, since it has data on it I recommend you back up your important data (i.e. documents, photos, videos, etc.) somewhere because you're likely going to have to format your harddrive since it's going to be in a new motherboard and you're going to have new drivers and other things. Just a recommendation.


    You just make my day bro!
    Also, thanks for enlightening me about GPUs.
    I'll back up my data now and go to the local store to check the items availibility.
    Bless you brother!
  7. Deus Gladiorum said:
    FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    No $400 pc will play CoD


    Not true at all. I've had $400 laptops playing CoD on low to medium settings a couple years ago, and the Xbox 360 can play every CoD game at 60 fps. You don't think a $400 desktop custom built can play it optimally? I'll introduce you to a few things, Jakbes:

    "Preferred Website(s) for Parts" just means what website do you usually like to buy from? For me, I like to use Newegg but since you're in a different country it's really up to you and a matter of where you want to have your parts shipped from.

    "SLI or Crossfire" are technologies used by Nvidia and AMD respectively in order to make 2 Graphics Card work in unison with each other to make your system far more powerful than just using 1 Graphics Card. Since you have a low budget, you're probably not considering getting 2 GPUs anyway.

    As for the actual parts you'll need, I like to use a PC buying guide occasionally and this one works very well:
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/

    Go for the "Entry" level tier of parts. It's cheap, affordable, and I guarantee you'll very Black Ops VERY WELL on that system. Plus, since you're not buying a Hard Drive with it, you'll actually save $59 so the total price should only be about $331, not including Shipping costs. If you feel you get the budget, feel free to try the "Modest" level tier instead. But ultimately, you'll still be able to play all the games you mentioned (including CoD Black Ops) on at least Medium settings.
    I have an important question, though: Is the Hard Drive you're going to use brand new or does it have data on it already?


    The X360 plays CoD because it is optimized for that particular GPU but yes, mabey if you put the setting on low
  8. FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    Deus Gladiorum said:
    FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    No $400 pc will play CoD


    Not true at all. I've had $400 laptops playing CoD on low to medium settings a couple years ago, and the Xbox 360 can play every CoD game at 60 fps. You don't think a $400 desktop custom built can play it optimally? I'll introduce you to a few things, Jakbes:

    "Preferred Website(s) for Parts" just means what website do you usually like to buy from? For me, I like to use Newegg but since you're in a different country it's really up to you and a matter of where you want to have your parts shipped from.

    "SLI or Crossfire" are technologies used by Nvidia and AMD respectively in order to make 2 Graphics Card work in unison with each other to make your system far more powerful than just using 1 Graphics Card. Since you have a low budget, you're probably not considering getting 2 GPUs anyway.

    As for the actual parts you'll need, I like to use a PC buying guide occasionally and this one works very well:
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/

    Go for the "Entry" level tier of parts. It's cheap, affordable, and I guarantee you'll very Black Ops VERY WELL on that system. Plus, since you're not buying a Hard Drive with it, you'll actually save $59 so the total price should only be about $331, not including Shipping costs. If you feel you get the budget, feel free to try the "Modest" level tier instead. But ultimately, you'll still be able to play all the games you mentioned (including CoD Black Ops) on at least Medium settings.
    I have an important question, though: Is the Hard Drive you're going to use brand new or does it have data on it already?


    The X360 plays CoD because it is optimized for that particular GPU but yes, mabey if you put the setting on low


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOv5r79QTPc

    Well as they like to say: Your argument is invalid.
  9. Deus Gladiorum said:
    FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    Deus Gladiorum said:
    FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    No $400 pc will play CoD


    Not true at all. I've had $400 laptops playing CoD on low to medium settings a couple years ago, and the Xbox 360 can play every CoD game at 60 fps. You don't think a $400 desktop custom built can play it optimally? I'll introduce you to a few things, Jakbes:

    "Preferred Website(s) for Parts" just means what website do you usually like to buy from? For me, I like to use Newegg but since you're in a different country it's really up to you and a matter of where you want to have your parts shipped from.

    "SLI or Crossfire" are technologies used by Nvidia and AMD respectively in order to make 2 Graphics Card work in unison with each other to make your system far more powerful than just using 1 Graphics Card. Since you have a low budget, you're probably not considering getting 2 GPUs anyway.

    As for the actual parts you'll need, I like to use a PC buying guide occasionally and this one works very well:
    http://www.logicalincrements.com/

    Go for the "Entry" level tier of parts. It's cheap, affordable, and I guarantee you'll very Black Ops VERY WELL on that system. Plus, since you're not buying a Hard Drive with it, you'll actually save $59 so the total price should only be about $331, not including Shipping costs. If you feel you get the budget, feel free to try the "Modest" level tier instead. But ultimately, you'll still be able to play all the games you mentioned (including CoD Black Ops) on at least Medium settings.
    I have an important question, though: Is the Hard Drive you're going to use brand new or does it have data on it already?


    The X360 plays CoD because it is optimized for that particular GPU but yes, mabey if you put the setting on low


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOv5r79QTPc

    Well as they like to say: Your argument is invalid.


    I stand corrected, god of gladiators.
  10. FlyingHelmet-1373206 said:
    I stand corrected, god of gladiators.


    Well, God of Swords, but close enough :)

    Still, good Latin. I think I've only met 2 people who've understood what the language is or could translate it even approximately.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Systems New Build