Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer randomly shutting off

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 24, 2013 6:16:39 PM

So here is my problem. I custom built my computer about 4 years ago. Haven't had any problems so far. This month my computer randomly started just shutting down. When just doing normal stuff and when i start playing any game. Tested it multiple games and it just shut down. no overclocking done to the processor and i have a new liquid cooling system that i installed thinking that would fix the problem. below are the temps everything is running so i know that's not the problem. any ideas?

CPU Temps 54C max
GPU 65C idol and 81C on games

Specs
Windows 7
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00ghz
RAM 8 Gig DDR3
2 ATI Radon HD 4780 Sapphires with VaporX
Motherboard Foxconn Black OPS
August 24, 2013 6:18:45 PM

cduff06 said:
So here is my problem. I custom built my computer about 4 years ago. Haven't had any problems so far. This month my computer randomly started just shutting down. When just doing normal stuff and when i start playing any game. Tested it multiple games and it just shut down. no overclocking done to the processor and i have a new liquid cooling system that i installed thinking that would fix the problem. below are the temps everything is running so i know that's not the problem. any ideas?

CPU Temps 54C max
GPU 65C idol and 81C on games

Specs
Windows 7
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00ghz
RAM 8 Gig DDR3
2 ATI Radon HD 4780 Sapphires with VaporX
Motherboard Foxconn Black OPS


What's your PSU?
m
0
l
August 24, 2013 6:21:07 PM

Deus Gladiorum said:
cduff06 said:
So here is my problem. I custom built my computer about 4 years ago. Haven't had any problems so far. This month my computer randomly started just shutting down. When just doing normal stuff and when i start playing any game. Tested it multiple games and it just shut down. no overclocking done to the processor and i have a new liquid cooling system that i installed thinking that would fix the problem. below are the temps everything is running so i know that's not the problem. any ideas?

CPU Temps 54C max
GPU 65C idol and 81C on games

Specs
Windows 7
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00ghz
RAM 8 Gig DDR3
2 ATI Radon HD 4780 Sapphires with VaporX
Motherboard Foxconn Black OPS


What's your PSU?


Apevia 1100W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 24, 2013 6:32:37 PM

I think you'll find this problem very hard to trace. Years ago I had a similar problem. Unbelievably, Microsoft soved it... Upon reboot my PC always wanted to send an error report to MS. I must have eventually submitted an email address; because as I recall MS emailed me the source of the problem. The random crash(reboot) was a software problem, do to a firewall I was running.

So if all else fails, don't ignore the chance that a properly submitted error report will give you the answer.
Share
August 24, 2013 6:35:31 PM

cduff06 said:
Deus Gladiorum said:
cduff06 said:
So here is my problem. I custom built my computer about 4 years ago. Haven't had any problems so far. This month my computer randomly started just shutting down. When just doing normal stuff and when i start playing any game. Tested it multiple games and it just shut down. no overclocking done to the processor and i have a new liquid cooling system that i installed thinking that would fix the problem. below are the temps everything is running so i know that's not the problem. any ideas?

CPU Temps 54C max
GPU 65C idol and 81C on games

Specs
Windows 7
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00ghz
RAM 8 Gig DDR3
2 ATI Radon HD 4780 Sapphires with VaporX
Motherboard Foxconn Black OPS


What's your PSU?


Apevia 1100W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


It's not bronze certified or anything, and it could just be that this thing crapped out on you. 1100 watts is huge, but then again even with that much wattage without certified efficiency, over time anything can happen. I recommend you try reseating all your cables and hardware; make sure everything is plugged in snugly. Then see if the problem keeps occurring.
m
0
l
August 24, 2013 6:36:07 PM

wdmfiber said:
I think you'll find this problem very hard to trace. Years ago I had a similar problem. Unbelievably, Microsoft soved it... Upon reboot my PC always wanted to send an error report to MS. I must have eventually submitted an email address; because as I recall MS emailed me the source of the problem. The random crash(reboot) was a software problem, do to a firewall I was running.

So if all else fails, don't ignore the chance that a properly submitted error report will give you the answer.


I dont know if its a software problem I never get any errors when booting up even after the complete shutdown.
m
0
l
August 24, 2013 6:40:28 PM

Deus Gladiorum said:
cduff06 said:
Deus Gladiorum said:
cduff06 said:
So here is my problem. I custom built my computer about 4 years ago. Haven't had any problems so far. This month my computer randomly started just shutting down. When just doing normal stuff and when i start playing any game. Tested it multiple games and it just shut down. no overclocking done to the processor and i have a new liquid cooling system that i installed thinking that would fix the problem. below are the temps everything is running so i know that's not the problem. any ideas?

CPU Temps 54C max
GPU 65C idol and 81C on games

Specs
Windows 7
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00ghz
RAM 8 Gig DDR3
2 ATI Radon HD 4780 Sapphires with VaporX
Motherboard Foxconn Black OPS


What's your PSU?


Apevia 1100W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


It's not bronze certified or anything, and it could just be that this thing crapped out on you. 1100 watts is huge, but then again even with that much wattage without certified efficiency, over time anything can happen. I recommend you try reseating all your cables and hardware; make sure everything is plugged in snugly. Then see if the problem keeps occurring.


Thanks. I had it plugged into a powerstrip for safety but the power strip also had my monitor(32in TV) computer speakers and printer all plugged into it. I just plugged it directly into the wall right now to see if that was causing the fluctuation of power. So far its running well. When i was building my computer i had a 750W PSU and it wasnt enough to run all my stuff. The graphics cards are huge and require alot of power thus why i got an 1100W. I just dont want replace the dang PSU 1100W are super expensive.
m
0
l
August 25, 2013 6:37:02 AM

You likely have error reporting turned off. But all those random shut-offs should be saved and they may give you an indication or you can submit them.

(scoll down a bit in the link)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Use-Windows...

To turn error reporting on:
start/control panel/system and security/review your computer's status and resolve issues/
change action center settings/problem reporting settings
m
0
l
August 25, 2013 10:41:54 AM

wdmfiber said:
You likely have error reporting turned off. But all those random shut-offs should be saved and they may give you an indication or you can submit them.

(scoll down a bit in the link)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Use-Windows...

To turn error reporting on:
start/control panel/system and security/review your computer's status and resolve issues/
change action center settings/problem reporting settings


Here is the error that came up


Problem: Video hardware error
Files that help describe the problem:
WD-20091111-2029.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:08:23 PM

Appears you're not alone, comes up on the seven forums.

Blow the dust out of those video cards with compressed air.
Download GPU-z and see if they are over heating.
m
0
l
!