Sign in with
Your question
Solved

~$500 Linux dev build

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2013 7:11:05 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking to get some help with a build for a linux box.

I'm mainly going to be using this for web development and to learn linux. I'll be using a dual monitor setup, but won't be doing any gaming (although steam is tempting). Most of the work will be coding and probably running virtual boxes to mimic production environments.

case
I was hoping to be able to fit the whole thing in a shuttle or lian li style mini-itx barebones case-- space and noise are an issue since I live in a rather small NY apartment

cpu
I haven't made up my mind on mobo or cpu yet. Mini-itx is appealing because of size.

hd
For speed, I would like to run the os on a ssd hd (~128gb), while keeping most of the working files on a slower and larger traditional hd (~500gb).

ram
At least 8gb

etc
I already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I'd like to get input on components so that I can avoid compatibility issues with linux. I would ideally be ordering all of my parts from newegg or amazon. I'd like to keep the cost under $500 ($800 absolute max).

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

More about : 500 linux dev build

Best solution

August 25, 2013 1:43:01 AM

No such thing as incompatibilty with linux. I've built 6 linux machines, two windows pcs, and the only os I've had driver/compatibilty issues with is windows. Get an 8 core amd cpu. You need a strong cpu, multicore cpu for linux development, and the i7's are out of your budget. everything else is personal choice.
August 25, 2013 9:34:34 AM

apower101 said:
No such thing as incompatibilty with linux. I've built 6 linux machines, two windows pcs, and the only os I've had driver/compatibilty issues with is windows. Get an 8 core amd cpu. You need a strong cpu, multicore cpu for linux development, and the i7's are out of your budget. everything else is personal choice.

Why amd over intel? Price? Do I get more bang for buck spending on the cpu or the ram? Could you recommend some cpu/mobo combo (mini-itx).

One more question, how difficult would it be to configure a two hd build (ssd + reg hd)?
m
l
!