is this $600 build good for mid-high gaming?

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012
Hi. After a day of researching i finally found the parts for my pc. It cost about $600 and thats my budget. I cant go above that. I will list the specification below:

CPU: Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30 GHZ, 3mb cache.

RAM: Kingston 8gb DDR 31600 mhz.

GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7770.

PSU: Corsair VS550 500w.

Chassis: Thermaltake v4 black edition.

Motherboard: Gigabyte-Ga-H77-Ds3h Lga 1155 socket.

Hard drive: Seagate 500gb Baracuda @ 7200rpm

Optical Drive: Asus Drw 24b5st Sata Dvd RW

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Eagle RR-UAS-L9C4 Multi-Platform CPU Cooler.

So if u guys have any other build that performs better than this build but is in the $600 budget please mention it below :D

Solution
I do a lot of mATX builds and yes that video card will work. Usually the issue is that people use small cases and big cards are tight, but your case is large and will present no problem.

This board, like many mATX boards only supports 2 sticks of DDR3 memory (instead of 4 like full ATX boards), so two 4GB Kingston sticks will work fine. mATX boards are compatible with the Thermaltake v4 case, so you are good there too. With an mATX board you will tons of room in that case and ventilation should be very good.

RealBeast

Titan
That should do a nice job, but you really don't need the CoolerMaster heatsink -- the Intel retail heatsink that comes with the CPU works fine. Since you are primarily interested in gaming, if you save enough on the heatsink, you can step up a notch on the video card.

I agree with RealBeast. Your system can play a lot of games on medium to high, but if you put the money from the aftermarket cooler into a better video card (e.g. GTX650Ti Boost) you'll probably play most games on High.
Oops, just noticed (but fortunately appears to be a typo); you need a socket 1155 board for the i3-3220, not a socket 1150 board. The board you've listed though, is S1155.

Kiril's build has three problems; one just a waste of money,but the other two are more serious.

First, the Hyper212+ is inferior to the similarly-priced Xigmatek Gaia (which is also superior to the more expensive Hyper212 EVO):
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/07/07/review-xigmatek-gaia-sd1283/7/
http://www.techreaction.net/2011/11/27/review-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus/4/

Unlike the Hyper212 EVO (ignore the URL; it IS the EVO they tested), the Gaia never throttled, although it wasn't always the coolest depending on the fan used. Both got awards, but if you factor in the price, the Gaia wins hands down.
Second, potentially a LOT more serious, the cheap MSI motherboard appears on this spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgN1D79Joo7tdE9xMUFlMEVWeFhuckJEVF9aMmtpUFE&gid=0 noted for having weak VRMs that pop under load. Especially if you overclock, this could mean a dead system in the middle of your first gaming session. If you'll check the other boards listed there, you'll be able to find a relatively inexpensive alternative (in particular, check out Biostar on a budget; normally not a brand I recommend, but appears to be decent in this case).
Finally, if you get a Corsair CX, make sure you get a modular one (in this case, the CX-600M. They are all made by CWT for Corsair, but the non-modular ones contain some inferior Samxon capacitors that do not like heat and are known for early failure. I would not use one in a gamer.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

I appreciate your feedback about my build. The MSI board is rated for 125W. Maybe OCing a 125W CPU on it would cause problems but not a 95W one. Your other points are probably valid, but this doesn't ruin my whole build. It is a much more powerful build then that of the OP. And a waste of money? Considering it csosts the same as the OPs build, why do you say that?

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

Yeah my bad :D. Its a typo my board has a lga1155 socket.

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

But if i buy the heatsink will it work better than the intel one. And its only around $7.

I wasn't trying to be harsh, and I apologize if it came off that way. The "waste of money" part was in reference to the CM cooler; people who buy CM are paying for a name, when, IMO, there are ALWAYS better and less expensive alternatives available. The Xigmatek Gaia is a great example.
As the spreadsheet indicates, cheap MSI motherboards are known for weak VRMs that pop under load. Considering there are similarly-priced alternatives (in this case from Biostar) not known for these problems, MSI is a risk that doesn't make sense. Their high-end boards are nice, but the cheap ones need a skip.
Your idea of the FX-6300 was sound though, it just needed some different parts to go with it.
It does seem we will need to know where the OP will be buying his parts in order to make the best recommendations.

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

I will be buying my parts at www.czone.com.pk, http://www.iamextreme.net or http://galaxy.com.pk. And another thing my budget in my currency is abou RS. 65000.

RealBeast

Titan
No, but since I don't shop outside the US, I really can't give you any advice about your local market. As I originally said, your build looks fine for the money but I wouldn't use an aftermarket cooler on an i3, the Intel works fine. If you change the board or CPU make sure that you stay with both being 1155 (or 1150 if you change one for some reason). The only thing that I would try to do is get a faster video card if you really want fast gaming -- think NVIDIA 650 or 660 range.

ron lanham

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Nice build.. Should do well. The i3 3220 is a decent chip for this budget range. The stock coolers work well for these but hey every attempt to reduce heat should help prolong the life of the components. I use the i3 2120 ( I had similar budget when building a little over a year ago) and the 7770 seems to be a good card for the price point. Happy gaming!

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

How about this build :

Processor: Intel Core i3 3220

Mobo:Intel Desktop board DH61CR Micro ATX.

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2gb.

RAM: Kingston 8gb 1600 mhz.

Chassis Thermaltake v4 black edition.

Optical Drive : Asus Drrw 24b5st Sata Dvd RW

HDD : Seagate barracuda 500gb @ 7200 rpm.

My main question about this build is will the intel mobo support the 7870 as it is only micro ATX and will the 7870 fit in the thermaltake v4 chassis. Another thing i noticed that the intel mobo supports dual ddr3 ram? what does that mean and will the kingston ram work on that mobo

RealBeast

Titan
I do a lot of mATX builds and yes that video card will work. Usually the issue is that people use small cases and big cards are tight, but your case is large and will present no problem.

This board, like many mATX boards only supports 2 sticks of DDR3 memory (instead of 4 like full ATX boards), so two 4GB Kingston sticks will work fine. mATX boards are compatible with the Thermaltake v4 case, so you are good there too. With an mATX board you will tons of room in that case and ventilation should be very good.

Solution

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks. And another question will the 7870 be able to handle games like bf3 on high settings at 60 fps and what about next gen games??

That last build (I assume with the same PSU as it isn't listed) would be nice. At 1680x1050, a HD7870 should play on Ultra to High settings for some years yet. Even Medium looks pretty good in modern games, and you're well beyond that. Have fun!

Stryker13799

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2012

I forgot to mention that im stuck between the radeon 7870 and the gtx 660. Which one should I buy as they both are around the same price with the gtx 660 cheaper where im buying.