Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

stuck on "reverting changes" after clean install and Windows Update Failure

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
August 25, 2013 7:23:38 PM

I've tried to get Windows 8 working several times (even tried different PCs) and each time it has the same problem. Here's what happens: I do a clean install, then run Windows Update. The updates then fail and it reboots and goes to a screen which says something like "Windows Update has failed... reverting changes" at which point it just stays stuck for a long time and won't ever boot up all the way to the desktop or continually reboots and stays always stuck on the "reverting changes" screen.

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
August 25, 2013 8:00:42 PM

Hello... re-install agian... and don't go out looking for updates... Not all automatic updates are needed for personal compuiter use... use your computer and try to find something that doesn't work... Then learn to select and install updates "manually" so you don't run into MASS UPDATE at one time problems!!!! and install files you don't really need.
Share
August 25, 2013 9:04:01 PM

Ironsounds said:
Hello... re-install agian... and don't go out looking for updates... Not all automatic updates are needed for personal compuiter use... use your computer and try to find something that doesn't work... Then learn to select and install updates "manually" so you don't run into MASS UPDATE at one time problems!!!! and install files you don't really need.
Don't go out looking for updates? Whenever I install any version of Windows, whether it be XP, Win7, etc. the VERY FIRST thing I do before using the computer for ANYTHING is make sure ALL the updates are downloaded and installed. Then I get MSE installed. Then, and ONLY then, do I start using the computer.

If Windows 8 requires some sort of special manual selection and weeding of updates, I simply don't have the time or inclination to be bothered with that.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 381 * Windows 8
August 25, 2013 11:29:48 PM

Was Windows activated when you tried to do updates? If you clean installed to Unallocated space using the Upgrade version then it may not have activated automatically. This can be achieved by leaving your Installation Media in place and performing 'Refresh your PC'
m
0
l
August 26, 2013 3:25:53 PM

dodger46 said:
Was Windows activated when you tried to do updates? If you clean installed to Unallocated space using the Upgrade version then it may not have activated automatically. This can be achieved by leaving your Installation Media in place and performing 'Refresh your PC'


I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade last year for $40 using a qualifying copy of XP I own and it gave me a new product key for Windows 8. But it didn't give me the option of creating media to do a clean install. Plus I wanted a 64-bit OS, and my copy of XP was 32-bit. So I installed a copy of Windows 7 64-bit (downloaded from Digital River) in trial mode without entering a product key, from which I was able to create the installer disk for Windows 8 and do a clean install of Windows 8 (to unallocated space). Is this work around what is causing my problems?

m
0
l
a c 381 * Windows 8
August 27, 2013 12:10:02 AM

Probably the workaround failed! Try the download from M'soft again whilst running the 64bit W7 from
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204
Hopefully it will allow you to d'load the 64 bit version without checking to see if W7 is activated...
If not PM me, I'm willing to send out a 'Backup' copy of 64bit Upgrade disk...
m
0
l
August 27, 2013 12:38:13 AM

dodger46 said:
Probably the workaround failed! Try the download from M'soft again whilst running the 64bit W7 from
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204
Hopefully it will allow you to d'load the 64 bit version without checking to see if W7 is activated...
If not PM me, I'm willing to send out a 'Backup' copy of 64bit Upgrade disk...


Which do I want... activated or unactivated?

I have purchased copy of Windows 7 64-bit. Could I use that for what you're talking about?

I just downloaded the Windows 8.1 preview and I'm going to install that and try with that.
m
0
l
January 20, 2014 6:00:54 AM

toronado said:
I've tried to get Windows 8 working several times (even tried different PCs) and each time it has the same problem. Here's what happens: I do a clean install, then run Windows Update. The updates then fail and it reboots and goes to a screen which says something like "Windows Update has failed... reverting changes" at which point it just stays stuck for a long time and won't ever boot up all the way to the desktop or continually reboots and stays always stuck on the "reverting changes" screen.


toronado said:
Ironsounds said:
Hello... re-install agian... and don't go out looking for updates... Not all automatic updates are needed for personal compuiter use... use your computer and try to find something that doesn't work... Then learn to select and install updates "manually" so you don't run into MASS UPDATE at one time problems!!!! and install files you don't really need.
Don't go out looking for updates? Whenever I install any version of Windows, whether it be XP, Win7, etc. the VERY FIRST thing I do before using the computer for ANYTHING is make sure ALL the updates are downloaded and installed. Then I get MSE installed. Then, and ONLY then, do I start using the computer.

If Windows 8 requires some sort of special manual selection and weeding of updates, I simply don't have the time or inclination to be bothered with that.


Spoon feed the updates - that's right. I kept getting failure and reverting also - what I did is select 3 updates at a time - reboot 3 updates at a time again and reboot until all the updates were placed - it took forever but it worked!
m
1
l
January 20, 2014 4:38:29 PM

Roadbat said:
Spoon feed the updates - that's right. I kept getting failure and reverting also - what I did is select 3 updates at a time - reboot 3 updates at a time again and reboot until all the updates were placed - it took forever but it worked!

My understanding is that I am unable to pull this off because Microsoft doesn't want me to install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 because I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade using a 32-bit version of XP as the qualifiying product.

My understanding is the only Microsoft-sacntioned upgrade path from 32-bit XP using the $40 Win8 upgrade that I purchased is installing a 32-bit version of Windows 8 OVER an exisiting XP installation as an upgrade, not a clean install of 64-bit Windows 8, or any clean install for that matter.

(Please correct me if that's incorrect.)


m
0
l
a c 381 * Windows 8
January 21, 2014 1:45:03 AM

toronado said:
Roadbat said:
Spoon feed the updates - that's right. I kept getting failure and reverting also - what I did is select 3 updates at a time - reboot 3 updates at a time again and reboot until all the updates were placed - it took forever but it worked!

My understanding is that I am unable to pull this off because Microsoft doesn't want me to install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 because I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade using a 32-bit version of XP as the qualifiying product.

My understanding is the only Microsoft-sacntioned upgrade path from 32-bit XP using the $40 Win8 upgrade that I purchased is installing a 32-bit version of Windows 8 OVER an exisiting XP installation as an upgrade, not a clean install of 64-bit Windows 8, or any clean install for that matter.

(Please correct me if that's incorrect.)



You can 'clean install' Windows 8 to a qualifying machine, so if you have the 64 bit version (Downloadable from M'soft using your Product key on a machine running 64 bit Windows). Once installed, activate by performing 'Refresh your PC' without removing the disk from the drive.

m
0
l
May 24, 2014 2:09:13 AM

Go to Windows updates in Control Update select the most important updates and install them :) 
m
0
l
June 3, 2014 12:43:51 PM

Same problem. I solved testing

- Install Win 8.0
- I order all updates by size (smaller first). -There are 97 Updates
- make only the first 30 updates
- reboot with windows update button (NOT Windows Button)
- Same ordering + Other 30 + Reboot
- INVERSE ORDER (Bigger first)
- Install 10Up. First + reboot
- Install the rest without drivers - reboot
- Install updates with drivers
- Go to Shop and Install Windows 8.1
And 4 coofees later you have a damned Windows 8.1 copy
- Update all the rest..


Thanks Microsoft :-(
Sorry for my english

Juanjo. QI
m
0
l
!