$1200 New Gaming Build

Akrasiel

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I am attempting to help my friend build a new gaming PC. He's been using a laptop for the past year or so, but it is starting to fail on him, and he is looking to build something better before it completely crashes.

Approximate Purchase Date: Some time in the next month or two

Budget Range: We're looking at about $1200 with maybe $100-200 wiggle room.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This is primarily going to be used for gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: I have not included a Monitor on the list yet, but he would like to be able to get a new 25"+ monitor for it. It is not a must have though, as he has a monitor he can use with it until he is able to save up for another one.

Do you need to buy OS: He does not have a copy of windows, so we will need to include a copy in the budget. Windows 7 is what he wants.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: He has an account with new egg, so we would like to use that. But if the price difference is worthwhile, we can use another.

Location: It will be shipped to and Assembled in Phoenix Arizona.

Parts Preferences: We have no brand preference here. Looking for max performance for the money.

Overclocking: He has no plans to overclock at this time.

SLI or Crossfire: Not likely, though he is contemplating going with dual monitors sometime in the future.

Your Monitor Resolution: His preferred play setting is 1920x1080.

Additional Comments: I've assembled a list of parts I've found so far, but I am looking for any assistance on possibly increasing its performance or even just finding equally powerful components at a better price. He already has his Keyboard, Mouse, and Speakers/Headset.

PC Partpicker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wiVD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($398.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($83.88 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1268.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-26 01:02 EDT-0400)

-Overclockable if you add an aftermarket cpu cooler in the future.
-Able to SLI.
-Included a SSD for fast booting and loading times.
-Put in Windows 8 over Windows 7. You can change it to look like Windows 7 with a program. There are tons of them out there.
-GTX 770 max out any game on 1080p.

Solution

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
In all honesty, your friend should wait. AMD is rumored to launch their newest GPUs this Fall/Winter. Last I heard was October, its just a rumor though.
With their release GPUs like the 7970 or even GTX 770 could drop in price.

Akrasiel

Honorable
May 2, 2012

I'll bring up the Windows choices with him when I talk to him again. The GPU choice may be better as well, as he is more a fan of Nvidia than Radeon.

In all honesty, your friend should wait. AMD is rumored to launch their newest GPUs this Fall/Winter. Last I heard was October, its just a rumor though.
With their release GPUs like the 7970 or even GTX 770 could drop in price.

This is mostly just early research so that we can get a list of parts early so we don't have to spend as much time searching when he is ready to order. He estimates that he will be ready to begin purchasing parts in October at the earliest, but it may be a bit later than that. I will keep an eye out for any release info on the next GPUs for any potential price drops though. Thank you for the heads up.