Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Nvidia driver problem...maybe?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 26, 2013 5:06:20 AM

I have heard that they have not really made a good driver for the GTX 770 yet. Now I don't know what the problem is it seams only when I am using my Steam account that the games play poorly. I have Far cry 3 and that plays great(1920x1080 on ultra with 4xAA) and it never goes below 60fps. I will try reinstalling steam or messing around with the control panel. Any advice would be helpful.

More about : nvidia driver problem

August 26, 2013 7:19:59 AM

What do you mean playing poorly that doesn't tell us anything? Also need to know all your specs and what other games are you trying t play exactly?
m
0
l
August 26, 2013 1:31:47 PM

The Kasafist said:
What do you mean playing poorly that desn't tell us anything? Also need to know all your specs and what other games are you trying t play exactly?


All I meant was that certain games have stuttering issues, like if I was to record the steam games using fraps I would get like framerates above 60 but they spike randomly like in Borderlands 2 I can see as high as 140 fps or when v sync is on it will be going steady at 60 then it would spike down to 50 fro a second same in crisis 2, But for other games like the ones not on steam I get steady frames.... specs: i5 3570k, GTX 770, 8gb KHX 1600, Corsair CX750M, 64gb ssd( for OS) WD1.5 TB Black performance HDD.(games)
m
0
l
Related resources
August 27, 2013 3:43:26 AM

massa902 said:
The Kasafist said:
What do you mean playing poorly that desn't tell us anything? Also need to know all your specs and what other games are you trying t play exactly?


All I meant was that certain games have stuttering issues, like if I was to record the steam games using fraps I would get like framerates above 60 but they spike randomly like in Borderlands 2 I can see as high as 140 fps or when v sync is on it will be going steady at 60 then it would spike down to 50 fro a second same in crisis 2, But for other games like the ones not on steam I get steady frames.... specs: i5 3570k, GTX 770, 8gb KHX 1600, Corsair CX750M, 64gb ssd( for OS) WD1.5 TB Black performance HDD.(games)


LOL ok you have the same exact issue I do and the issue is as certain games don't perform well over 60 FPS because devs have nt coded the game to function at those high frame rates. Another thing is it shouldn't really matter how high your FPS is more how steady unless you're monitoring it you can't really notice the difference when it remains steady hence the purpose of v-sync.

Games (most especially FPS games) are often not optimized to run over 60 FPS assuming our tv/monitor can even handle certain levels of frame rates as well. Depending on whether you tv/monitor is interlaced or progressive your 60 or 120 or 240 Hz may be getting the full FPS convertion or only half. Although microstutter issues are extremely common in machines such as ours that are too strong for certain titles and their poor graphics. V-sync helps to try and keep it stable.

If there is a simple 10 FPS drop I wouldn't worry about thats totally normal in certain conditions of the game when the game eats up a lot of VRAM for the moment. This is common for me on Skyrim when loading a large area with many enemies my FPS may be at a steady 60 then dip for a moment as the video card attemts to catch up again.

I have a microstutter issue with MW3 because they still use the same poor old engine as the previous games since COD4 (MW1). FPS that rockets higher than 60 will cause microstutter and I admit its very game breaking when you cant aim! Although my Skyrim runs fantastic like 90-95% of the time. It's just during the high load times that it dips but I would take an occasional dip than a constant microstutter any day.

Anyhow you have a good PC and I would not be worried about it much. The last issue is YES it may very well be a driver issue involving how well it utilizes v-sync and its entirely possible that the driver may not be optimized to use v-sync as well as the last. Anyhow I hope some in this long essay is your answer. Nothing we can do but sit and wait or revert to a driver that has been known to run super smooth not sure how to help there LOL! Anyhow you're not alone!

P.S. If your screen ever flashes green, then black then picture gets restored and the audio is gone and it has a constant microstutter in any game. Take note that its not your GPU but the new driver don't be alarmed. Save your game then restart your PC and it should be gone. It made my heart almost sky rocket through my brain when it happened. But it's very rare that its the hardware just though I would let you know that!

Hope this helps further as well.
http://www.camcorderchris.com/back-to-basics-lesson-9-p...
m
3
l
August 27, 2013 5:27:33 AM

The Kasafist said:
massa902 said:
The Kasafist said:
What do you mean playing poorly that desn't tell us anything? Also need to know all your specs and what other games are you trying t play exactly?


All I meant was that certain games have stuttering issues, like if I was to record the steam games using fraps I would get like framerates above 60 but they spike randomly like in Borderlands 2 I can see as high as 140 fps or when v sync is on it will be going steady at 60 then it would spike down to 50 fro a second same in crisis 2, But for other games like the ones not on steam I get steady frames.... specs: i5 3570k, GTX 770, 8gb KHX 1600, Corsair CX750M, 64gb ssd( for OS) WD1.5 TB Black performance HDD.(games)


LOL ok you have the same exact issue I do and the issue is as certain games don't perform well over 60 FPS because devs have nt coded the game to function at those high frame rates. Another thing is it shouldn't really matter how high your FPS is more how steady unless you're monitoring it you can't really notice the difference when it remains steady hence the purpose of v-sync.

Games (most especially FPS games) are often not optimized to run over 60 FPS assuming our tv/monitor can even handle certain levels of frame rates as well. Depending on whether you tv/monitor is interlaced or progressive your 60 or 120 or 240 Hz may be getting the full FPS convertion or only half. Although microstutter issues are extremely common in machines such as ours that are too strong for certain titles and their poor graphics. V-sync helps to try and keep it stable.

If there is a simple 10 FPS drop I wouldn't worry about thats totally normal in certain conditions of the game when the game eats up a lot of VRAM for the moment. This is common for me on Skyrim when loading a large area with many enemies my FPS may be at a steady 60 then dip for a moment as the video card attemts to catch up again.

I have a microstutter issue with MW3 because they still use the same poor old engine as the previous games since COD4 (MW1). FPS that rockets higher than 60 will cause microstutter and I admit its very game breaking when you cant aim! Although my Skyrim runs fantastic like 90-95% of the time. It's just during the high load times that it dips but I would take an occasional dip than a constant microstutter any day.

Anyhow you have a good PC and I would not be worried about it much. The last issue is YES it may very well be a driver issue involving how well it utilizes v-sync and its entirely possible that the driver may not be optimized to use v-sync as well as the last. Anyhow I hope some in this long essay is your answer. Nothing we can do but sit and wait or revert to a driver that has been known to run super smooth not sure how to help there LOL! Anyhow you're not alone!

P.S. If your screen ever flashes green, then black then picture gets restored and the audio is gone and it has a constant microstutter in any game. Take note that its not your GPU but the new driver don't be alarmed. Save your game then restart your PC and it should be gone. It made my heart almost sky rocket through my brain when it happened. But it's very rare that its the hardware just though I would let you know that!

Hope this helps further as well.
http://www.camcorderchris.com/back-to-basics-lesson-9-p...


Thanks for the reply, I came to think I was using the 320.18 driver a few weeks ago before I reinstalled win 8 pro and I don't remember any stuttering in those games but I now that that I am using 320.49 I noticed some new games run better like I tried tomb raider 2013 last night it ran perfectly. so I think I will try the 320.18 driver if I want to play certain games and see how it works. But what you say makes sense. I just pay too much attention to every little thing on my PC... it is probably not normal.
m
0
l

Best solution

August 27, 2013 5:38:25 AM

massa902 said:

Thanks for the reply, I came to think I was using the 320.18 driver a few weeks ago before I reinstalled win 8 pro and I don't remember any stuttering in those games but I now that that I am using 320.49 I noticed some new games run better like I tried tomb raider 2013 last night it ran perfectly. so I think I will try the 320.18 driver if I want to play certain games and see how it works. But what you say makes sense. I just pay too much attention to every little thing on my PC... it is probably not normal.


Ive got .49 and it works perfect with my gtx 660. All the games run maxed at my Vsync (which seems to be 85 FPS) except for some intense moments (like having whole line of sight filled with cops while your in a heli rocketing them... In poorly optimized game like GTA IV) it gets to 40-50.
You shouldnt be worried about drop from 60 to 50 unless it does more troubles (BSODs, black screen...)
Share
August 27, 2013 9:20:29 AM

tadej petric said:
massa902 said:

Thanks for the reply, I came to think I was using the 320.18 driver a few weeks ago before I reinstalled win 8 pro and I don't remember any stuttering in those games but I now that that I am using 320.49 I noticed some new games run better like I tried tomb raider 2013 last night it ran perfectly. so I think I will try the 320.18 driver if I want to play certain games and see how it works. But what you say makes sense. I just pay too much attention to every little thing on my PC... it is probably not normal.


Ive got .49 and it works perfect with my gtx 660. All the games run maxed at my Vsync (which seems to be 85 FPS) except for some intense moments (like having whole line of sight filled with cops while your in a heli rocketing them... In poorly optimized game like GTA IV) it gets to 40-50.
You shouldnt be worried about drop from 60 to 50 unless it does more troubles (BSODs, black screen...)


I agree and love that Conquer's avatar you got going there LOL! That was one of my favorite games for the N64!
m
0
l
!