FX-8120 with Noctua NH-D14 overheat problem

SuperSonic

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hello.

I have CPU AMD FX-8120 with Noctua NH-D14 on ASUS M5A97. With Prime 95 runnig i get 63+ degrees Celsius on default BIOS settings. Before Noctua i used Arctic Cooler Freezer CO, but on full CPU load i get 65+ degrees. I think that Noctua solve my problem, but it is not :pfff:

BIOS is latest version.
I monitor temperature with Asus AI Suite and AIDA64.
I changed thermopaste several times.
All the time cover of the case is opened.

I need help. How can i prevent CPU overheating?

SuperSonic

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

In tech specs for FX-8120 says, that critical temp is 61 degree, so my results is to hot. That temperature under prolonged load.

Idle temp is about 43 degrees.

I manually set clock rate to 3100 MHz and vcore to 1.320 v. I am also forgot to say, that i disabled AMD turbocore and manually enable Load Line Callibration. With this settings CPU temp is 62 degrees under prolonged load.

I am already checked cooler installation and several times changed thermal grease.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Prime 95 is very stressing and will push a CPU very hard. How hot does the CPU get when gaming?

Also, your idle temp is high (especially with the case open as stated previously). After two aftermarket heatsinks and still this high, I suspect a possible thermal sensor issue or the CPU itself. You should consider the other recommendations to lower your vcore.

blackdevilmt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2012
Eh see if you positioned the cooler right. I like that cooler but it is enomoursly huge and a beast... anyways do like 'COLGeek ' said and reposition the cooler with some new thermalpaste and clean it with artic cleaning kit.

SuperSonic

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Yes, all this at 3100MHz. I lowered vcore to 1.295 v (further reduction leads to the loss of CPU stability, many stability tests do not pass). With Prime95 prolonged full load temp is 59c :( Also on that vcore CPU became less productive, for example in cinebench it is 4.75pts vs 5.05pts on stock vcore.

I use this computer mainly for 3D rendering and not for games. When 3D rendering in progress temp close to the temp with Prime95.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. My apologies for assuming this was a game rig (as most questions on Tom's seem to inquire about).

Have you tried the "touch test"? By that I mean, have you touched the heatsink when the system is under load? Does it feel as hot as the monitoring apps indicate? 65C/149F (if the sensor is reporting accurately) would feel quite warm to the touch.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try this (only for a short period of time). Disconnect your heatsink fans (with only the case/PSU fans running) and start the system. Enter the BIOS and see how hot the CPU gets, just idling while in the BIOS. Let it sit on the monitoring screen for a short period of time.

Looking for a quick spike or a slow climb to a steady temp. This could simply be a faulty CPU temp sensor.

SuperSonic

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
In other forum suggested to touch heatsinks of VRM and NB, they were very hot. And beause that heatsinks is so close to CPU socket i decided to buy another case and add some fans for better air circulation. Thanks for for trying help me.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood. However, given the amount of air the Noctua (with 2 fans) moves around the CPU and VRMs, a new case may not help. Did you ever notice a significant temperature difference in the system when the cover was in place (vice being off)?

NBs and VRMs will certainly get hot, especially when the system is under load. You finger on the CPU heatsink test implies that the CPU isn't as hot as the sensor would indicate. This could be a matter of excess thermal compound on the sensor itself (typically located in the center of the CPU socket.

Regardless, I really hope the new case helps. Good luck!

SuperSonic

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
When case is closed, CPU temp is higher about 3-4 degrees. If new case and additional fans will not solve my problem there only one logical possibility, for my opinion, that motherboard sensor get temp wrong.

logainofhades

Titan
While the 8120 is not a great chip, keep the fanboyism out of this thread. Even an 8120 should not be experiencing such temps on that Noctua at stock. @ OP, check and make sure fans on the cooler are installed in the correct orientation for air to go in the proper direction.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

While that (arguably) may be true by some measures, it really doesn't help the OP. Thanks for sharing though.

SuperSonic

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Orientation of fans is correct, i already checked that. For price of 8120 it is very good chip, i am very satisfied of it. Only high temp is bothers me, but then i find a solution i will be totally happy :)