Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Questions on cloning my HDD

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 26, 2013 1:29:40 PM

First off, if I clone my Western Digital HDD, can I copy everything to a Seagate?(does cross brand cloning work)

Second, is there anything special I need to do before cloning and copying my HDD? can I just plug in the new HDD(but make sure its a slave drive in BIOS) and use EaseUS to clone my HDD and copy everything to the new drive?

Thanks for reading. Any help is appreciated.,

More about : questions cloning hdd

Best solution

a c 888 G Storage
August 26, 2013 6:01:57 PM

theres nothing special to prep for besides making a backup before you begin but most people omit this step since their real important data is usually already backed up somewhere.
You dont need to make sure its a slave drive.
yes cross brand cloning works fine.
I always put the cloned drive into the original drives sata port after the cloning has finished and before booting up for the first time with it.
Share
August 27, 2013 10:08:25 PM

popatim said:
theres nothing special to prep for besides making a backup before you begin but most people omit this step since their real important data is usually already backed up somewhere.
You dont need to make sure its a slave drive.
yes cross brand cloning works fine.
I always put the cloned drive into the original drives sata port after the cloning has finished and before booting up for the first time with it.
Thanks a ton. I have one more question, do I need to format the new drive before copying everything on it?

m
0
l
Related resources
August 27, 2013 11:10:06 PM

I just cloned my 1tb samsung to a 4tb hgst a couple of days ago and everything went perfectly. I too almost formatted my new hard drive but I only initialized it as gpt bc it is more than 2tb and just a storage (does not need to be bootable) drive. I made sure not to have the old drive connected and had the new 4tb cloned drive in the old one's sata position, booted up and all was good! I'm still afraid to connect my old one yet. I'm researching the forums right now to see when that's okay or if already was and I'm being just too joshin careful! So, simply put, no you don't need to have it formatted. I don't think it will hurt either way but no formatting for me worked fine. Let us know how this went!
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 10:33:52 AM

jnewegger23 said:
I just cloned my 1tb samsung to a 4tb hgst a couple of days ago and everything went perfectly. I too almost formatted my new hard drive but I only initialized it as gpt bc it is more than 2tb and just a storage (does not need to be bootable) drive. I made sure not to have the old drive connected and had the new 4tb cloned drive in the old one's sata position, booted up and all was good! I'm still afraid to connect my old one yet. I'm researching the forums right now to see when that's okay or if already was and I'm being just too joshin careful! So, simply put, no you don't need to have it formatted. I don't think it will hurt either way but no formatting for me worked fine. Let us know how this went!
Thanks for the advice. I just purchased the drive last night,(decided to go with the WD Black 2TB) so I'll let you know how it goes once it gets here.

m
0
l
August 30, 2013 4:35:11 PM

HDD got here today. Successfully cloned my old HDD to the WD 2TB Black using Acronis WD edition. I love having over 1TB of free space. I use my pc primarily for gaming, so 1.8 TBs will last me a long time. Thanks popatim and jnewegger23 for the help.
m
0
l
a c 888 G Storage
August 30, 2013 4:38:40 PM

Anytime :-)
m
0
l
August 30, 2013 6:19:00 PM

concernedcivilian said:
HDD got here today. Successfully cloned my old HDD to the WD 2TB Black using Acronis WD edition. I love having over 1TB of free space. I use my pc primarily for gaming, so 1.8 TBs will last me a long time. Thanks popatim and jnewegger23 for the help.


Glad to hear it went well! Any time!
m
0
l
!