First post on Toms hardware. I am building my first PC ever and would appreciate some help. I apologize, if this is not the right place to ask these questions.
I am not an expert at this and this would be a learning experience, I am just trying to avoid expensive mistakes. I sure would return the favor to the community, once I become good at this.
Below is my build. Specifically I am trying to make sure that parts are compatible and I am getting the best value for my money. Any suggestions to improve it are welcome. As I said earlier, I am new at this and if there is a dumb mistake in this build, please go easy on me...
-Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Case- $ 179
-MSI Z87 MPOWER Max LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC-$259
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. You have knocked off $ 200 and it is still an impressive build. If I understand correctly, your build has the exact same performance as the one suggested except yours is cheaper?
I Would like to ask a few follow up questions:
- Is the Intel core i5 3570K as powerful as the the newer Haswell 4770K?
- I wanted to go with the newer LGA 1150 chipset thinking it might be better in the long run as I want the computer to be future proof. At some point, I want to get into photo and video editing (not a heavy gamer, although I do play occasionally). Is there no advantage to using the latest chipset from Intel?
- I am most confused with regards to choosing the motherboard. There are so many options out there and it's hard to compare them. I would like something that I can start out with a decent graphics card and memory but update in a few years with better components.
- The graphics card is another one that's hard to choose from so many different options. Your suggestions is the one that I wanted to go with initially. I am going to take your suggestion on this one.
- I am also not sure which OS to go for. I am leaning towards Windows7 but then in the future if I want to move to a touch screen interface, I will have to update. Any suggestions?