Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Realtek Sound Problem

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2013 6:34:35 PM

I'm having an issue with a build I have been doing with an ASUS M5A99FX Pro motherboard, with an AMD Phenom 965, 8 GB of Kingston RAM, and SLI Geforce 460s. When initially setting up windows on the drive, and first installing the sound drivers, they worked. After powering back down, adding the second graphics card, and hooking up the side panel fan to close it up, when Windows 7 came back up, the sound was gone. In the Sounds menu, the Speakers read "Not Plugged In" and the only options for sound are Digital Optical Output.

I've noticed a few similar threads all over the internet about this, but I have found very few "resolutions" aside from "Switched to another board" or "Bought a sound card." The latter isn't much of an option as the two graphics cards cover the PCI lanes, and I'd like to avoid having to bring it back if I don't have to. Does anyone have any experience solving this issue? I have tried everything except formatting again and starting from scratch.

Also - several suggested solutions say to "disable front panel detection" using the folder icon on the Audio controller. No such option exists on the version of Realtek that I installed. Any other suggestions are more than welcome, I would really appreciate it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 416 V Motherboard
August 26, 2013 8:34:30 PM

Are you using the Windows driver for the audio or the Realtek driver on the MB disk?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2013 8:56:06 PM

Initially used the driver that was on the disk. After the restart where it stopped working, I sought the latest driver from ASUS' homepage. Installing that did not help. I cannot seem to 'uninstall" the driver without Windows immediately attempting to replace them with it's own, and then I end up with about 6 different digital devices in my Sounds menu for some reason.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 416 V Motherboard
August 27, 2013 11:10:46 AM

Hmmm... yes, Win7 will always install its audio driver when it doesn't see one already installed. I'm not sure why you would have so many "digital devices" in Windows/Sound, tho. Modern gfx cards also have a sound chip in them. Not sure if the older GTX 460s do as well. If so, that may be where the other devices are coming from.

But that doesn't solve your initial problem. Assuming the on-board Realtek chip didn't suddenly go bad, try uninstalling all the sound drivers one more time. Then run Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode (tap F8 @ boot). Have it locate and remove any remnants of any sound drivers it finds. Then re-boot and see if the Win7 sound driver it loads works properly.
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...

Before doing anything, however... it may be wise to try different speakers, cable, etc to be sure it isn't a problem outside the PC. Try your headphones on the rear jack. Try your speakers on the front jack.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2013 11:18:14 AM

clutchc said:
I'm not sure why you would have so many "digital devices" in Windows/Sound, tho. Modern gfx cards also have a sound chip in them. Not sure if the older GTX 460s do as well. If so, that may be where the other devices are coming from.


Both 460s have one HDMI port, so I believe you could be right on that count.

clutchc said:
Try your headphones on the rear jack. Try your speakers on the front jack.


Tried both of these before posting here, though I appreciate you bringing it up. Plugging anything in, rear panel or front panel, doesn't show as "Plugged in" and the Realtek software doesn't show a popup indicating it has detected a new device (and yes, the option in the software is checked to pop up on new devices). I hadn't thought of using Drive Sweeper, I will give that a shot for sure when I get home from work today. Thanks for that suggestion clutchc. I will update with my progress this evening.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2013 4:35:08 PM

No luck with the Driver Sweeper. It still doesn't work after reboot :\
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 416 V Motherboard
August 28, 2013 8:36:05 AM

Is it possible the front audio jack hasn't returned its contact to 'normal' after removing the headphones the last time? The audio system thinks there's still a pair of headphones plugged in? Try removing the FP audio connector from the MB and re-boot.

In lieu of that, does it work if you remove the 2nd card again? Or the side panel fan? (???)

Is there a possibility that you have something under the MB grounding out/shorting out the solder traces? Like an extra standoff that wasn't needed.

I'm groping at straws here, but it sure sounds like you need to RMA the MB.
Share
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2013 9:09:10 AM

Tried removing the front panel connector, didn't seem to make a difference. Tried removing the second card, and side panel fan. None of those changed any behavior :\

There are a few extra of the metal/brass/whatever material they are stands that the mobo sits on that aren't secured with screws. I've never had an issue with those causing shorts before, but I suppose I could give that a shot. Is it often that unscrewed stands can cause a short?

I might have to return it. Luckily, I bought it retail, so hopefully I can just exchange it, but I wanted to rule everything out if possible first since the store is 30-40 mins away.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 416 V Motherboard
August 28, 2013 9:38:05 AM

CraigN said:

There are a few extra of the metal/brass/whatever material they are stands that the mobo sits on that aren't secured with screws. I've never had an issue with those causing shorts before, but I suppose I could give that a shot. Is it often that unscrewed stands can cause a short?


If your case is of the design that has the standoffs as an integral part of the MB backplate (i.e. stamped), then no. That wouldn't be an issue. But most cases have discrete standoffs that have to be screwed into the MB backplate in the location of the MB mtg. holes. Sometimes, not all of them will be needed. As a result, sometimes a builder will add one that doesn't belong. That causes it to be under the MB where there is no hole possibly shorting/grounding out a trace.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 28, 2013 10:54:36 AM

I have extra metal standoffs screwed to the MB mtg. holes, but they are lined up with holes on the motherboard. The metal pegs came with the case, I just didn't apply screws to all of them, so no, none of them are pressing against a part of the board where there is no hole to screw into the standoff.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2013 4:07:08 PM

clutchc said:
Is it possible the front audio jack hasn't returned its contact to 'normal' after removing the headphones the last time? The audio system thinks there's still a pair of headphones plugged in? Try removing the FP audio connector from the MB and re-boot.

In lieu of that, does it work if you remove the 2nd card again? Or the side panel fan? (???)

Is there a possibility that you have something under the MB grounding out/shorting out the solder traces? Like an extra standoff that wasn't needed.

I'm groping at straws here, but it sure sounds like you need to RMA the MB.


Ended up having to bring the board back to the retailer. We switched it out for an MSI 990FXA-GD80, and it seems to be going strong. Thanks for all your help clutch.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 416 V Motherboard
August 31, 2013 8:41:48 PM

Glad to hear your problem is resolved. Happy gaming.
m
0
l
3 minutes ago

CraigN said:
I'm having an issue with a build I have been doing with an ASUS M5A99FX Pro motherboard, with an AMD Phenom 965, 8 GB of Kingston RAM, and SLI Geforce 460s. When initially setting up windows on the drive, and first installing the sound drivers, they worked. After powering back down, adding the second graphics card, and hooking up the side panel fan to close it up, when Windows 7 came back up, the sound was gone. In the Sounds menu, the Speakers read "Not Plugged In" and the only options for sound are Digital Optical Output.

I've noticed a few similar threads all over the internet about this, but I have found very few "resolutions" aside from "Switched to another board" or "Bought a sound card." The latter isn't much of an option as the two graphics cards cover the PCI lanes, and I'd like to avoid having to bring it back if I don't have to. Does anyone have any experience solving this issue? I have tried everything except formatting again and starting from scratch.

Also - several suggested solutions say to "disable front panel detection" using the folder icon on the Audio controller. No such option exists on the version of Realtek that I installed. Any other suggestions are more than welcome, I would really appreciate it.

I have FX 9370 with Asus Sabertooth R 2.0 and my icon disappeared from my task bar running windows 8.1 and my 7.1 surround sound became 3.1 lol Well I deleted all realtek off my system , ran ccleaner and becarful which one you download because theres been a lot of 3rd party downloads but the thing that fixed me is that I downloaded and installed the realtek audio manager , the internet controller and the drivers and finally I got my stuff back but do a clean install make sure theres no remainder of old drivers on your pc that's what screwed mine up , anything realtek delete , wipe it from pc and re install , its what I was told to do and it worked :) 
m
0
l
!