i7 3770 / 650 Ti BOOST - bottleneck?

Ceraxin22

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hey guys,

Just wondering if this would cause any issues. Asus B75 mobo, i7 3770 with a 650 Ti BOOST - would my GPU cause bottleneck?

Just curious if anyone knows if I could do 2 x 650 Ti boost if my motherboard supports it? Can't seem to find much detail about it :[

Thinking of upgrading GPU to a 760 - any advice which brand etc I should get?

Thanks.

Solution
I have a i7-3770k and currently have a GTX 760 but used to have a GTX 650 Ti Boost and for those games you should have no issues running the single Boost. Instead of the SLI thing which I did consider I would suggest selling the boost when the time comes for ~$100 and instead of paying another $150 on the second card (and having to get the PSU and motherboard to support it) going for the single best card (like 99/100 people here will tell you.) Other than that the boost is a great card for the $ and I am also very happy spending the $250 to get my new GTX 760 OC TF from MSI so I recommend that. Yes the gfx card will be your bottleneck but you likely won't see all too much better performance playing those games going up a level or...

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
For most games (actually all games, since your CPU is high end), the GPU is the bottleneck all the time, even for the high end cards, because no GPU can push unlimited frames per second.

So yes it will bottleneck for games, but that doesn't mean its a bad card, its just that cards are always that way.

You could do an SLI, but you are probably better off going for a single card. What games do you play? Because that card is pretty ok to last another year (unless you want to really max out, in which the GTX 760 isn't the best option due to the small difference in performance for that price)

Ceraxin22

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I pretty much do want to max it out so that the bottleneck issue won't really be an issue.

I mostly play SWTOR/WoW nothing that is really graphic hungry but would love to play them on the highest possible settings. Any recommendations in which GPU I should have? and if I should have to bump up my PSU (600W)?

Also thanks for the fast reply!!

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

PSU is fine. But SWTOR and WOW don't even need a GTX 650 to max it out. Are you having problems with the card? I too have a similar card (AMD HD 7850), and I've never had any problems, at all.

I would suggest you wait at 1 generation (go for the GTX 800 series, because they will have serious performance boosts).

Toxicsix

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

I think I can relate to your situation quite well, I have been playing WOW since it launched and same with SWTOR and I have always looked for the perfect and most fluid gameplay possible since I PVP a lot. What I can tell you is the Graphics card your running is just fine as mentioned above. I am currently running with a 3770k at 4.3GHZ OC (on air at the moment no liquid cooling) and single Titan solution and its about as good as you can get. But the key to good MMO play seems to lean more on your CPU than your GPU. I have experimented with a 3930k at 4.8GHZ on a RIVE board with a 7970 last fall and I am getting better frame rates on my current 3770k build (I am not an expert but I assuming this is because SWTOR doesn't take advantage of six cores or possibly even four for that matter) I currently building a 4770K with a custom loop planning to hit 5GHZ to see if makes things better but If I were you I would stick with what you have as shelling a whole lot of coin is only going to yield you 3-5 fps in crowded zones if your lucky. Now if your a hobbiest and system builder then go nuts but I thought id just share my experience with you.

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I have a i7-3770k and currently have a GTX 760 but used to have a GTX 650 Ti Boost and for those games you should have no issues running the single Boost. Instead of the SLI thing which I did consider I would suggest selling the boost when the time comes for ~$100 and instead of paying another $150 on the second card (and having to get the PSU and motherboard to support it) going for the single best card (like 99/100 people here will tell you.) Other than that the boost is a great card for the $ and I am also very happy spending the $250 to get my new GTX 760 OC TF from MSI so I recommend that. Yes the gfx card will be your bottleneck but you likely won't see all too much better performance playing those games going up a level or two. Hope my input helps but don't worry that setup is solid I ran with it for a while and am still debating whether or not the upgrade to the GTX 760 was even worth it :)

Solution