Is i7 940 bottlenecking my rig?

Keltik3030

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Hi guys,

Built my current rig about 4 or 5 years ago, it has i7 940, asus deluxe p6t and 6 gb of ram.

I upgraded to sli 4gb gtx 680s FTWs not too long ago as i game on triple monitors.

In BF3 I'm hitting around 30 - 60 fps depending on the map with ultra settings and 4x msaa.

Question is my i7 940 bottlenecking me? It's running stock right now at 2.9 ghz as my heat sink was damaged when I moved house and doesn't cool enough for my 3.6ghz OC I used to run.

The heat sink is ok enough to run stock, idles at 50c and hits max 70c when gaming... (max in prime5 is another story, like 100c)..

My question is I was going to upgrade my cpu cooler but then I thought I'd just wait for Ivy bridge-E and Get a new mobo, cpu, ram and cooler as I suspect my 940 may be bottlenecking my gpus..

Would the real world performance in gaming (generally triple monitor bf3/bf4) be worth the $1000+ outlay for a new cpu/mobo/ram.

I've got the upgrade bug, I really want another mobo so I have the option to go tri sli in future but at the same token a wee voice in my head is telling me the benefits from spending might not be worth it yet as 30 - 60 fps on 3 monitors with ultra settings isn't too shabby.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks guys

rvilkman

Distinguished
It's probably ok when overclocked, but you might be losing some performance with running it stock.

You could always get a good cooler now since they generally work fine for pretty much all sockets, and get back your overclock until you figure out what you want to upgrade the rest of the stuff to and when you do just re-use the cooler.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Overclocking your current cpu would be a better option. I am still rocking an i7 930 with 2 5870's and bf3 on high is 140 fps. and stutters like hell on ultra lmao ( I think it is the msaa ) every game is extremely playable ( though I am running 4.3-4.5ghz depending non season ) I say upgrade cooler to a good one with proper airflow and overclock it. I would wait at least for ddr4 and sata express next year ( that is what i am doing )

Keltik3030

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks guys. I've already ordered a new cooler, going to try and push the 4ghz barrier with a new 240 rad (can't fit much else in my antec 1200).. And see if that makes much difference to my fps.

@hafijur I was looking at those chips but I when I do upgrade I want to have 3 Pci-e slots all running at x16 for when I get my 3rd GPU. To my knowledge only some LGA 2011 mobo's support x16/x16/x16 which is why I was thinking of ivy bridge-E.