Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building a high-end gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 28, 2013 12:55:14 AM

I am looking at building my first high-end gaming rig that will be able to max out games like crysis 3 in ultra. Budget is a non-issue. Any suggestions about the type of cpu, motherboard, memory, storage, graphic card, power supply and others?
August 28, 2013 1:36:52 AM

Crysis 3 is poorly optimized, meaning it won't get high FPS on any system. Could you give us an APPROXIMATE budget? Because if it's not an issue we would suggest dual xeons and 4-way-SLI 690 or Titans.

Also, will you be overclocking, do you need a screen and do you know how to watercool?

Edit:

What will you be doing other than gaming? Eg: Video editing - requires lots of RAM. What country are you buying from?
m
0
l

Best solution

August 28, 2013 1:46:43 AM
Share
Related resources
August 28, 2013 1:53:44 AM

Well, if you do ask for an approximate budget, I would say $2000 to $3000 (can even go to $3500). I might very well overclock it in the future when other newer games demand more and more out of the system. A screen would not be an issue since I already have a 27-inch ultra high resolution 2560x1440 monitor, meaning I can spend more on the screen. And no, I do not know how to watercool since I have never tried it before. I will be using it for graphic designing though. Thanks for your time.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 3:02:19 AM

challenger15 said:
Well, if you do ask for an approximate budget, I would say $2000 to $3000 (can even go to $3500). I might very well overclock it in the future when other newer games demand more and more out of the system. A screen would not be an issue since I already have a 27-inch ultra high resolution 2560x1440 monitor, meaning I can spend more on the screen. And no, I do not know how to watercool since I have never tried it before. I will be using it for graphic designing though. Thanks for your time.


http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/4slime/saved/2gLY
In the price of AUD $3000. This should smash ANY game thrown at it. if you want better, change the 690 for a Titan. Personally, i would stay with a 690 because of it's dual cores.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 3:19:25 AM

I hear you. How many frames do you suppose I get when playing games in ultra using those specs and at a resolution of 2560x1440?And would an intel xeon deliver much better performance than the core i7 you recommended?
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 4:32:36 AM

challenger15 said:
I hear you. How many frames do you suppose I get when playing games in ultra using those specs and at a resolution of 2560x1440?And would an intel xeon deliver much better performance than the core i7 you recommended?


BF3 on ultra, the minimum FPS would be around 80, average 120 and max up to 160 FPS.

A Xeon would perform much the same, but it is used for video editing computers (it has a lot of cores). The only difference being the Xeon doesn't have graphics (as far as i know). With the 690 I recommended, you wouldn't be using integrated graphics anyway.

As you stated, you'd be using this for Graphic Design as well, the i7 would be well suited for this because of it's Hyper Threading (gives it twice the amount of cores. This CPU will have eight cores, four physical and four virtual.) Unless you were doing pretty extreme video editing (after effects) or looking for fast video renders, would the Xeon help.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 6:32:18 AM

I have to say this,you DO NOT want dual Xeons for gaming, a 3930k will give you MORE performance because Xeons can't be overclocked and games do not use more than 4 cores and by the time they use 24 threads (dual xeons) crysis 400 will be about.

Give me a sec, i am building you a kick ass PC.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 6:37:11 AM

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($330.01 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Azza Fusion 4000 ATX Full Tower Case ($260.30 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3153.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-20 01:20 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 6:37:34 AM

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($330.01 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Azza Fusion 4000 ATX Full Tower Case ($260.30 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3153.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-28 01:20 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 6:46:06 AM

Why not go for something like this -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme11 SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard ($609.47 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ CompUSA)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3039.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 6:51:10 AM

gamingworld said:
Why not go for something like this -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme11 SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard ($609.47 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ CompUSA)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3039.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)



*For this price range we recommend TRUE liquid coolers.

*Why woud you get an Asrock x79 Extreme 11 with only 2 GPUs??? that motherboard is for 4GPUs and 4GPUs only.

*The vertex 4 is superior to the Crucial M4

*The Cosmos II is very overrated and doesn't have much space for watercooling.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 6:56:15 AM

Wow, this thread seems to have generated so much interest. thank you for these responses, it's more than I expected. I finally figured out the watercooling process after google searches and a few phone calls, and I do think it would be efficient to keep the temperatures at bay. I'm going to go through these and I'll keep you updated.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 7:14:39 AM

That may be true, but you never know. How about this one?I found this on another thread and apparently, you get to save a lot of money which you may be able to use to get a better graphic card. Have a look at it:

This XFX psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic as are all XFX psu's. Windows 7 is combo'd with the motherboard. Just add a case to this build.


http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Semi-Modular-80Plus-S... $111.71 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $101.71
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply (Silver)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $279.98 save: $10.00 FREE SHIPPING
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $379.98 save: $18.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
Cooler Master TPC 812 RR-T812-24PK-R1 120mm Sleeve with Dual Vertical Vapor Chamber TPC 812 CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $55.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 997015

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD-RW-Serial-Internal-DR... $23.49 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-D... $98.03 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC2... $199.90 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC256B/WW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $409.99 - $400.00 after $10.00 rebate
MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $409.99 - $400.00 after $10.00 rebate
MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Total: $1,969.06 *not including shipping & rebates


http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed... <----- review of that MSI GTX 670 w/benchmarks

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/ <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios update

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g... <----- review of that board w/benchmarks

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=265... <----- review of that CM cpu h/s @ Frosty Tech

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm <----- that same CM cpu h/s on Frosty Tech's Top 5 list


120Hz refresh rate monitor. If your going to have that much GPU firepower than 120Hz is the only way to go. It makes gaming smooth as butter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $389.99
BenQ XL2420T Black-Red 24" 5ms (2ms GTG) HDMI Widescreen Height & Pivot Adjustable LED-Backlit 120Hz 3D-Ready LCD Monitor 350 cd/m2 DC 12M:1 (1000:1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $469.99 FREE SHIPPING
ViewSonic V3D245 Black 23.6" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD 120Hz 3D Monitor 300 cd/m2 20,000,000:1 w/ Speakers & 3D glasses


Some headsets to have a look at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $59.99 - $49.99 after $10.00 rebate FREE SHIPPING
Cooler Master CM Storm Sonuz 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Gaming Headset

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $79.99 FREE SHIPPING
Cooler Master CM Storm Sirus S 3.5mm Connector Circumaural 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 7:54:27 AM

A 3930k is MUCH better than a 3770k/3570k for video editing/decoding/transcoding/encoding/rendering multitasking, media creation, Folding@home and keeping up with Tri and quad GPU setups.


I suppose that the OP will AT LEAST game on a 2560x1440 monitor... if he isn't then he is just wasting money because a ~1600$ rig can easily play any game and make it look butter smooth on a 120Hz 1080p monitor.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 7:57:35 AM

What's the title of this thread? I don't see anything about a professional video editing / CAD / rendering on there. What I see is: Building a high-end gaming rig

As far as the 2560x1440 resolution...it looks nice but tell me one competitive gamer that plays FPS that doesn't use a 120Hz monitor if it's in their budget. I'm not talking RPG's where people go in for magic fairy dust or transgender elves, but FPS where people want to put a bullet through the opposing players head. That's 120Hz right there. The 3930K might as well come with a tube of K-Y Lube. There's suckers who don't read the benches, and they usually stick to their RPG/MMOPRG ..whatever they call those games, and then there's FPS gamers who have a clue. Those gamers don't care if their case is a cardboard box, as long as they are maxing out their FPS and everything is smooth.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 7:59:52 AM

hahahahaha buddy i like you! i hate RPG games as well, god i just don't understand how someone can spend 7 hours a day sitting in front of a freaking PC playing a "game" that is based on raising a character.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:14:16 AM

magic fairy dust or transgender elves :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:16:18 AM

maxeffect12 said:
magic fairy dust or transgender elves :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 


i lol'ed really hard at that :lol: 

i know i am on a tech forum and most people here are what you would normally call a nerd but i just hate the kind of people who sit in front of their PCs 8 hours a day playing a boring-ass game while getting fatter and fatter and developing a chronic masturbation disorder.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:18:08 AM

Sorry if I came off like a dick on here. Toms did a review with the 1155 (SB) x8 & x8 vs the NF200 Bridge (SB w x16 & x16) vs 1336 set up with x16 & x16. The 1336 lagged in third, and the NF200 set up ran pretty much dead even with the less expensive x8 & x8 set up. After that review the sales of the spendy boards with the NF200 bridges dropped like a rock.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:18:59 AM

Nothing against those players.....the WoW type gamers it's just that if I can't race it, blow it up, or put a bullet through it's head then I don't want to play it. I mean I broke in playing Duke Nukem way back in the day and went strait to UT97 and then Tactical Ops which was a UT mod FPS that was like Counter Strike on crack. It's gotta be fast paced or it totally sucks imo. Even BF3 is like taking a bunch of downers tbh. It's just too slow for me. Give me a Glock, MP5 or a sniper rifle and I'm off to the races. Nothing beats killing someone over and over and over in a map and then spamming them so bad that they get butt hurt and leave the map. That's what it's all about right there
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:28:51 AM

gamingworld said:
Nothing against those players.....the WoW type gamers it's just that if I can't race it, blow it up, or put a bullet through it's head then I don't want to play it. I mean I broke in playing Duke Nukem way back in the day and went strait to UT97 and then Tactical Ops which was a UT mod FPS that was like Counter Strike on crack. It's gotta be fast paced or it totally sucks imo. Even BF3 is like taking a bunch of downers tbh. It's just too slow for me. Give me a Glock, MP5 or a sniper rifle and I'm off to the races. Nothing beats killing someone over and over and over in a map and then spamming them so bad that they get butt hurt and leave the map. That's what it's all about right there

i agree :D 
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 8:32:27 AM
August 28, 2013 8:37:48 AM

Just for the record, I actively play every type of game but FPS are my favorite and 'magic fairy dust or transgender elves' had me laughing for a good minute. I will get back to you guys later regarding my decision as to what is the best gaming rig for my needs.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 9:42:47 AM

The best build, screw the naysayers they're wrong, is 2 7990s@$650 a piece, on a 2011 Asus $230, with a 3930k @ 4.8 with a Corsair h110, Cooler Master Storm Series, 512 GB Samsung 840 Pro, and a 4TB Nas sata 3 HDD from Seagate. Basically the following:

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper $149.99
EVGA Super Nova 1300 (Super Flower, Beastly PSU)
ASUS P9X79 LE $224.99
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400(few bucks over 1600, why not?)
Intel Core i7-3930K
MSI R7990-6GD5 x 2 (These will shit on Crysis 3 and AMD has fixed all driver problems people were complaining about Info on AMD 13.8 Driver Fix
Seagate ST4000DM000
Corsair Hydro H110, it 280mm Rad is confirmed to fit in the case picked
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 512GB

Total Price: $3,524.90

You can slim down 200 bucks for a 256GB 840 Pro also, but I wouldn't; There are benefits to the 512GB besides space that are for another topic. $3500 for a PC that WILL shit on the vast majority of games for the next 10 years. But 5 years from now if there is a DX 14, you would prob have to upgrade the gpus, but I doubt it.

- Prax

PS, this rig will detroy two 780s yet both gpu configurations are 1200 dollars. You know the right choice xD wink wink nudge nudge. Also, you get 8 games with the 7990 which is pretty awesome.


m
0
l
August 28, 2013 11:13:49 AM

4slime said:
challenger15 said:
I hear you. How many frames do you suppose I get when playing games in ultra using those specs and at a resolution of 2560x1440?And would an intel xeon deliver much better performance than the core i7 you recommended?


BF3 on ultra, the minimum FPS would be around 80, average 120 and max up to 160 FPS.

A Xeon would perform much the same, but it is used for video editing computers (it has a lot of cores). The only difference being the Xeon doesn't have graphics (as far as i know). With the 690 I recommended, you wouldn't be using integrated graphics anyway.

As you stated, you'd be using this for Graphic Design as well, the i7 would be well suited for this because of it's Hyper Threading (gives it twice the amount of cores. This CPU will have eight cores, four physical and four virtual.) Unless you were doing pretty extreme video editing (after effects) or looking for fast video renders, would the Xeon help.


expeacer said:
Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($330.01 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($459.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Azza Fusion 4000 ATX Full Tower Case ($260.30 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3153.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-20 01:20 EDT-0400)


Praxeology said:
The best build, screw the naysayers they're wrong, is 2 7990s@$650 a piece, on a 2011 Asus $230, with a 3930k @ 4.8 with a Corsair h110, Cooler Master Storm Series, 512 GB Samsung 840 Pro, and a 4TB Nas sata 3 HDD from Seagate. Basically the following:

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper $149.99
EVGA Super Nova 1300 (Super Flower, Beastly PSU)
ASUS P9X79 LE $224.99
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400(few bucks over 1600, why not?)
Intel Core i7-3930K
MSI R7990-6GD5 x 2 (These will shit on Crysis 3 and AMD has fixed all driver problems people were complaining about Info on AMD 13.8 Driver Fix
Seagate ST4000DM000
Corsair Hydro H110, it 280mm Rad is confirmed to fit in the case picked
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 512GB

Total Price: $3,524.90

You can slim down 200 bucks for a 256GB 840 Pro also, but I wouldn't; There are benefits to the 512GB besides space that are for another topic. $3500 for a PC that WILL shit on the vast majority of games for the next 10 years. But 5 years from now if there is a DX 14, you would prob have to upgrade the gpus, but I doubt it.

- Prax

PS, this rig will detroy two 780s yet both gpu configurations are 1200 dollars. You know the right choice xD wink wink nudge nudge. Also, you get 8 games with the 7990 which is pretty awesome.




You seem to be a pretty big amd fan,for this is the first time somebody has mentioned it in this thread.all benchmarks show that the 780 shits on the 7990, so what makes you think its better?CF isnt even as good as SLI,so why would shit like that work in 10yrs or whatever?never used amd,never liked it.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 11:16:52 AM

Sorry if I came across as rude in my earlier post.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 1:17:35 PM

expeacer said:
Sorry if I came across as rude in my earlier post.


To sum up your previous post, "You must be an AMD fanboy, because you are the only one I have seen recommend a 7990 on Toms Hardware. Besides, the 780 shits on the 7990 in benchmarks didn't you know? It is common knowledge here on the forums, get with the program Praxeology! SLI is better also, so explain to me how "AMD's shit," will work well in 10 years? Never used AMD, never will. - expeacer"

I am glad you added this because it gave me a really good laugh; If you're going to be rude, don't back-pedal when you can instead let me know what you think. You strike me as an individual who owns a green flag and cheers accordingly. That's great, but in reality, both red and green create similar performing products. What comes into play when I choose a build's GPU's is price, performance, and drivers.

To help you learn something new today, I am going to spend my time addressing your opinions. I am an AMD fan (Good eye!) but am an NVIDIA fan also; You haven't seen anyone recommend a 7990 because Tom's Hardware has a lot of NVIDIA fan-boys. The only factors that should be considered are price, performance, and drivers. The fact that you state your opinions and beliefs somewhat rudely, is largely due to you realizing my post conflicts with your conceived notions, instead of a position supported by facts, helps me better understand your capabilities of providing worthwhile feedback. I am utterly baffled as to how anyone could believe a single GPU could compete with a multi GPU configuration. The only possible way a 780 can out perform a 7990 would be in NVIDIA benchmarking software (insert Batman: Arkham City here) Here are some benchmark comparisons from AnandTech's 5 month old article. Please bear in mind, AMD's 7990 drivers were NOT very optimized, as is commonly the case with new hardware.







Source

The 7990 (With infant drivers) held both a higher fps average and minimum against the GTX Titan and 780 in every game tested. This is not impressive because we are comparing 2 Tahiti chips on 1 PCB vs NVIDIA's 1 chip competition. What is, however, incredibly impressive? The 7990 is 650 dollars, the Titan is 1,000. More to the OP, he is looking for a high-end $3000ish build. With such a budget $1200 can be allotted for the GPUs. The three criteria are Price (Check), Performance (Check), and Drivers(Mate, they are even better today). Someone to date looking to spend $1200 on graphic cards should strongly consider crossfire 7990s as they provide the best price, performance, and now have very stable drivers. Back in may when these benchmarks were being done, an argument could have been made against the drivers. But the counter is obviously time, drivers will always get updated.

TL;DR Put bluntly, you're uninformed. The 7990 is not shit and any rig built around them will perform well for the next 5-10 years, despite your misconceptions. People who bought ATI's 2 Dual GPU card back in the 4000 series only just upgraded. I hope this post has helped explain "why would shit like that work in 10 yrs or whatever?" for you.

To the OP, screw the naysayers and get the best bang for buck which in this situation is crossfire 7990s unless you want to spend an extra 1,000 dollars for 2-way SLI 690s which would be generally better.

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper $149.99

EVGA Super Nova 1300 (Super Flower, Beastly PSU)

ASUS P9X79 LE $224.99

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400(few bucks over 1600,
why not?)


Intel Core i7-3930K

MSI R7990-6GD5 x 2 (These will shit on Crysis 3 and AMD has fixed all driver problems people were complaining about

Info on AMD 13.8 Driver Fix

Seagate ST4000DM000

Corsair Hydro H110, it's 280mm Rad has been confirmed to fit in the case picked

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 512GB

Total Price: $3,524.90

- Prax


m
0
l
August 28, 2013 9:39:26 PM

That's all very well, but why would the cards be ranked this way on this site: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
The 780 is second within the high-end gpu list and the 7990 is a measly 8th. When you do compare the average g3d mark, the gtx 780 comes up with a score of 7919 while the 7990 only comes up with a 5030. So how do you explain that?

m
0
l
August 29, 2013 3:55:48 AM

expeacer said:
That's all very well, but why would the cards be ranked this way on this site: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
The 780 is second within the high-end gpu list and the 7990 is a measly 8th. When you do compare the average g3d mark, the gtx 780 comes up with a score of 7919 while the 7990 only comes up with a 5030. So how do you explain that?



Synthetic benchmarks are utterly irrelevant, and because that website is based off them, it is a waste of space on the internet. Any chart that ranks the titan above a dual gpu card is absurd. But again, synthetic benchmarks can do some absurd things. The fact remains that a 7990 @ 700 dollars will outperform a titan and a 680 by 10-30 fps depending on the game. And if the budget can afford 2 680s, then Crossfire 7990s are better.
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 8:52:39 AM

I couldn't get back earlier due to work-related commitments but after looking through all of these reviews, I have to agree with Praxeology. The 7990 is a very good graphic card indeed and I did receive a recommendation for it from my friend nearly 2 months ago and I am pretty certain that the $3524.90 I am about to spend will be worth every penny. I might very well order my parts today, so thank you Prax, not forgetting expeacer, gamingworld, maxeffect12, 4slime and the rest of the tom's hardware community.
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 8:54:52 AM

challenger15 said:
I couldn't get back earlier due to work-related commitments but after looking through all of these reviews, I have to agree with Praxeology. The 7990 is a very good graphic card indeed and I did receive a recommendation for it from my friend nearly 2 months ago. I might very well order my parts today, so thank you Prax, and noot foorgetting expeacer, gamingworld, maxeffect12, 4slime and the rest of the tomshardware community.


Speaking for the collective here,

Glad we could help
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 8:59:47 AM

Yup, thanks again and ignore my double post (accidentally hit the button twice).
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 9:11:38 AM

challenger15 said:
Yup, thanks again and ignore my double post (accidentally hit the button twice).


Just did a quick look and 2 7990s are going to draw anywhere from 800-1100 watts depending on what source you're looking at. I tend to side with guru3d as I like their methodology. So you definitely do not want to skimp on the PSU. The bigger the better obviously but the 1500s do not come from the best OEMs; I would strongly recommend you ONLY buy EVGA's Super Flower 1300 Gold. For this kind of build you want the best quality with the highest wattage and this is unfortunately as big as it gets. So if you are going to change anything in the build, this shouldn't be it. Don't let anyone steer you away from this PSU. And if 3-5 years down you start crashing during an intensive gaming session, you know its the PSU Degradation kicking in (that is, the PSU cannot deliver its maximum wattage anymore, which is why you crash during intensive gaming). And that's when you cash in EVGA's 10 year warranty and customer support that is second best to none.

- Prax

Edit: Just to make sure I didn't scare you on PSU degradation, here is a Toms Hardware topic forum discussion on the topic: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300392-28-capacitor-a...

The TL;DR version is that PSU's degrade but not too much, and is generally degradation is over-estimated. And I tend to agree but just letting you know, remember a few years from now if a problem of crashing during gaming appears, it isn't EVGA's PSU fault xD its just that you're running a big ass load on it. I think it'd be fine though for 5 years, the parts in it are A+ and that is why it comes with a 10 year warranty.
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 9:24:39 AM

Praxeology said:
challenger15 said:
Yup, thanks again and ignore my double post (accidentally hit the button twice).


Just did a quick look and 2 7990s are going to draw anywhere from 800-1100 watts depending on what source you're looking at. I tend to side with guru3d as I like their methodology. So you definitely do not want to skimp on the PSU. The bigger the better obviously but the 1500s do not come from the best OEMs; I would strongly recommend you ONLY buy EVGA's Super Flower 1300 Gold. For this kind of build you want the best quality with the highest wattage and this is unfortunately as big as it gets. So if you are going to change anything in the build, this shouldn't be it. Don't let anyone steer you away from this PSU. And if 3-5 years down to road in this build you start crashing, you know its the PSU Degradation kicking in (that is, an older PSU cannot crank out its rated wattage anymore). And that's when you cash in EVGA's 10 year warranty and customer support that is second best to none.

- Prax


Well, I will take your word for it since I do not have to worry about my budget and I am certainly looking at long-term use for such a high-end desktop. And I have heard lots of good things about EVGA though. How much heat am I to expect when playing games on max settings and will the CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler you suggested be sufficient or should there be a better one?
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 9:30:15 AM

challenger15 said:
Praxeology said:
challenger15 said:
Yup, thanks again and ignore my double post (accidentally hit the button twice).


Just did a quick look and 2 7990s are going to draw anywhere from 800-1100 watts depending on what source you're looking at. I tend to side with guru3d as I like their methodology. So you definitely do not want to skimp on the PSU. The bigger the better obviously but the 1500s do not come from the best OEMs; I would strongly recommend you ONLY buy EVGA's Super Flower 1300 Gold. For this kind of build you want the best quality with the highest wattage and this is unfortunately as big as it gets. So if you are going to change anything in the build, this shouldn't be it. Don't let anyone steer you away from this PSU. And if 3-5 years down to road in this build you start crashing, you know its the PSU Degradation kicking in (that is, an older PSU cannot crank out its rated wattage anymore). And that's when you cash in EVGA's 10 year warranty and customer support that is second best to none.

- Prax


Well, I will take your word for it since I do not have to worry about my budget and I am certainly looking at long-term use for such a high-end desktop. And I have heard lots of good things about EVGA though. How much heat am I to expect when playing games on max settings and will the CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler you suggested be sufficient or should there be a better one?


Check the edit about degradation; H110 will cool your CPU excellently. You should expect with a 4.5-8ghz OC 60-79C depending on how demanding / long the game is going. No problems there. As far as the GPU's go, they stay quite cool but during long gaming sessions you will see high 70C. No problems there either as modern GPU's are rated for 105C, it is perfectly safe for a GPU to go 70s, and even 80/90s though that isn't recommended. The cooler you can run a part the longer it will last. So CPU 60-79 for GPU 60-79, good to go on both accounts.

Also, since I have you online, I feel I should tell you it isn't advisable to build this kind of a computer right now. Ivy-Bridge-E that is the 4930k, same CPU but with ivy's architecture, is coming on literally in a month and it will outperform Sandybridge-E 3930k by 5-20% depending on what the task is. For gaming though, they will be pretty much identical but thought I would mention it. And 1 year from now, Haswell-E will come out, so say a 5930k and they will be 8 cores. This is what I am waiting for to upgrade to. The PS4/Xbox One are running AMD 8 core CPUs so next gen games will be 8 core threaded for both PC and consoles. And haswell-E is going to cash in on that. What's more is DDR4 ram will be hitting the market in 2014 to be coupled with haswell-E's integrated controller and the new motherboard socket 2011-E, not sure if its called that, will be required to run the CPU. I ship to Navy Basic Training in Feb 3, 2014 and will graduate and head to A-School 2 months later, April 3, 2014. I will then be in a similar situation. Build a 3500$ 2011 build, or wait for haswell-E to drop in another 6 months. So I have decided to build a 4670k, a cheap 1150 board for it, only 8GB of ram, and a cheap graphics card (at the time of April 2014) that will run the 2 games I am most active in which is League of Legends, and Hearthstone. The build is here http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx... The reasoning behind it is of course in 6 or so months, I will replace the motherboard, cpu, and memory with the new tech. So you should think if you want to go all in on 2011 now, or build a more standard 1,000 build that will server your specific needs now, and upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram come haswell E. For me personally its worth the wait, but this may be different for you. Food for though at least,

Prax
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 9:40:00 AM

Praxeology said:
challenger15 said:
Praxeology said:
challenger15 said:
Yup, thanks again and ignore my double post (accidentally hit the button twice).


Just did a quick look and 2 7990s are going to draw anywhere from 800-1100 watts depending on what source you're looking at. I tend to side with guru3d as I like their methodology. So you definitely do not want to skimp on the PSU. The bigger the better obviously but the 1500s do not come from the best OEMs; I would strongly recommend you ONLY buy EVGA's Super Flower 1300 Gold. For this kind of build you want the best quality with the highest wattage and this is unfortunately as big as it gets. So if you are going to change anything in the build, this shouldn't be it. Don't let anyone steer you away from this PSU. And if 3-5 years down to road in this build you start crashing, you know its the PSU Degradation kicking in (that is, an older PSU cannot crank out its rated wattage anymore). And that's when you cash in EVGA's 10 year warranty and customer support that is second best to none.

- Prax


Well, I will take your word for it since I do not have to worry about my budget and I am certainly looking at long-term use for such a high-end desktop. And I have heard lots of good things about EVGA though. How much heat am I to expect when playing games on max settings and will the CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler you suggested be sufficient or should there be a better one?


Check the edit about degradation; H110 will cool your CPU excellently. You should expect with a 4.5-8ghz OC 60-79C depending on how demanding / long the game is going. No problems there. As far as the GPU's go, they stay quite cool but during long gaming sessions you will see high 70C. No problems there either as modern GPU's are rated for 105C, it is perfectly safe for a GPU to go 70s, and even 80/90s though that isn't recommended. The cooler you can run a part the longer it will last. So CPU 60-79 for GPU 60-79, good to go on both accounts.


Well then, I have nothing further to worry about. Thanks and I am placing my order now.
m
0
l
August 29, 2013 9:49:17 AM

challenger15 said:
Praxeology said:
challenger15 said:
Praxeology said:
challenger15 said:
Yup, thanks again and ignore my double post (accidentally hit the button twice).


Just did a quick look and 2 7990s are going to draw anywhere from 800-1100 watts depending on what source you're looking at. I tend to side with guru3d as I like their methodology. So you definitely do not want to skimp on the PSU. The bigger the better obviously but the 1500s do not come from the best OEMs; I would strongly recommend you ONLY buy EVGA's Super Flower 1300 Gold. For this kind of build you want the best quality with the highest wattage and this is unfortunately as big as it gets. So if you are going to change anything in the build, this shouldn't be it. Don't let anyone steer you away from this PSU. And if 3-5 years down to road in this build you start crashing, you know its the PSU Degradation kicking in (that is, an older PSU cannot crank out its rated wattage anymore). And that's when you cash in EVGA's 10 year warranty and customer support that is second best to none.

- Prax


Well, I will take your word for it since I do not have to worry about my budget and I am certainly looking at long-term use for such a high-end desktop. And I have heard lots of good things about EVGA though. How much heat am I to expect when playing games on max settings and will the CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler you suggested be sufficient or should there be a better one?


Check the edit about degradation; H110 will cool your CPU excellently. You should expect with a 4.5-8ghz OC 60-79C depending on how demanding / long the game is going. No problems there. As far as the GPU's go, they stay quite cool but during long gaming sessions you will see high 70C. No problems there either as modern GPU's are rated for 105C, it is perfectly safe for a GPU to go 70s, and even 80/90s though that isn't recommended. The cooler you can run a part the longer it will last. So CPU 60-79 for GPU 60-79, good to go on both accounts.


Well then, I have nothing further to worry about. Thanks and I am placing my order now.


Good luck, it is surely to be a sweet machine.
m
0
l
!