Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help! Gigabyte GTX660 OC - PC won't boot

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 28, 2013 3:41:26 AM

After installing the card, the computer beeps randomly, hangs at the HP splashscreen, then decides to start flashing underscores with a black background. No keyboard inputs can be made at the BIOS screen.
The computer boots up perfectly with a 7750.

More about : gigabyte gtx660 boot

August 28, 2013 3:48:06 AM

how big is your power supply?
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 3:53:19 AM

shamsmu said:
how big is your power supply?


It's CX430 V2
Plenty for GTX 660.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 28, 2013 4:00:44 AM

Seriously what should I do ;_;
m
0
l

Best solution

August 28, 2013 4:12:51 AM

I guess the problem here is- this is an OEM system and has some sort of locks in the motherboard that prevents any drastic change in hardwares. I have seen plenty of people on this website having the same problem with upgrading their OEM desktop hardwares. That's the reason why a custom built computer is always better than OEM

Best course of action could possibly be, is to change the motherboard. Depending on the rest of your system specs, even a $50 motherboard may suffice. If you need suggestion on the motherboard, you can let me know your full system specs.
Share
August 28, 2013 4:17:51 AM

shamsmu said:
I guess the problem here is- this is an OEM system and has some sort of locks in the motherboard that prevents any drastic change in hardwares. I have seen plenty of people on this website having the same problem with upgrading their OEM desktop hardwares. That's the reason why a custom built computer is always better than OEM

Best course of action could possibly be, is to change the motherboard. Depending on the rest of your system specs, even a $50 motherboard may suffice. If you need suggestion on the motherboard, you can let me know your full system specs.


m..my money.... please...
ahhh..... so would it be a wise decision to just upgrade to FX6300 with a cheap ITX board?
Also I have a i3 2120 that came with the HP computer.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 4:21:02 AM

hu4228 said:

m..my money.... please...
ahhh..... so would it be a wise decision to just upgrade to FX6300 with a cheap ITX board?
Also I have a i3 2120 that came with the HP computer.


Well unfortunately, its the only way to go.

Yes you can either upgrade to a fx6300 along with a cheap motherboard or get a cheap $50 asus/asrock b75/h61 motherboard for the i3 2120
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 4:31:25 AM

shamsmu said:
hu4228 said:

m..my money.... please...
ahhh..... so would it be a wise decision to just upgrade to FX6300 with a cheap ITX board?
Also I have a i3 2120 that came with the HP computer.


Well unfortunately, its the only way to go.

Yes you can either upgrade to a fx6300 along with a cheap motherboard or get a cheap $50 asus/asrock b75/h61 motherboard for the i3 2120

Then is there a possibly a chance that there is an actual fault with the GPU?
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 4:35:55 AM

hu4228 said:

Then is there a possibly a chance that there is an actual fault with the GPU?


yes there is a possibility. However, from experience, I would bet all my money on the fact that your OEM motherboard is what's causing all the problem. But you can test that graphic card on another computer if you can.
m
0
l
August 28, 2013 4:42:55 AM

shamsmu said:
hu4228 said:

Then is there a possibly a chance that there is an actual fault with the GPU?


yes there is a possibility. However, from experience, I would bet all my money on the fact that your OEM motherboard is what's causing all the problem. But you can test that graphic card on another computer if you can.


Hmm... then there's something I don't understand here.
Why does it work for 7750, where as it does not for 660?
Or is it because they're two completely different hardware?
Also again, I've never heard of a GPU making a computer hang in such a way, so I guess it is a problem with the OEM Foxconn Cupertino2 motherboard.

edit: I think I got 5 beeps, and according to this website(http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/ami-beep...), it says it might be a problem with the expansion slot?

Anyway thank you shamsmu, for providing me a solution. I was on the verge of passing out as this has never happened.
m
0
l
July 6, 2014 6:48:18 AM

had similar issuees, since my mother board dident switch from internal grafic to the PCE card automatly, you might wana try to disable integrated grafics in ur bios.
m
0
l
!