I've got two 680's under water...how do I go about overclocking them?

UnexceptionalJew

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Im trying to get my EVGA 680 Superclocked Edition cards overclocked to match 770's. Ive got ek water blocks on both of them. What program should I use and do you think I could match or even surpass the power of 770's? And what heat range should I stay in?

Solution

you dont ever flash the bios since it will most likely void your warranty if it dies. a simple overclock will do since thats about really the only difference between the two cards. 770 just comes with a higher memory clock and higher gpu clock speed. I personally would only raise the gpu clock and leave the memory clock alone

you dont ever flash the bios since it will most likely void your warranty if it dies. a simple overclock will do since thats about really the only difference between the two cards. 770 just comes with a higher memory clock and higher gpu clock speed. I personally would only raise the gpu clock and leave the memory clock alone

Mysteoa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012

A lot of people with 680 are doing it and it Unlocks more core voltage. I was just suggesting not telling him to do it. And overclocking can void warranty too.

They are basically the same. Same chip different clocks.

UnexceptionalJew

Honorable
May 13, 2013
I dont really need to worry about warranty since I have already had the cards for a year. So what should I use to overclock and what should my "targets" be?

jdevers

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

I've had a lot of luck with my EVGA 680s using EVGA Precision. Not everyone likes it, but I've gotten the best overclocks out of it. It even overclocks my two stock EVGA 780s easily on air (1063MHz). You can link Precision with EVGA OC Scanner to test for stability too.

Solution

UnexceptionalJew

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Alright sounds good. I will try out some different clocks tonight and see what happens.

i'm pretty sure your cards are warrantied 3-5 years.

But generally overclocking will not void your warranty, varies from each warranty though.

Also having the increased voltage fry something or killing the memory controller is more likely than ever killing it from an increased core clock

I'd sure hope so or your doing something wrong. I wouldnt try to push the memory that high though, youll end up killing your cards

jdevers

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Shoot for 1265MHz boost clock. You should be able to do that without touching the voltage. Just set the power limits higher in Precision. Since you're on water, you can up the voltage and shoot for 1300MHz boost clock if you want. I wouldn't touch the memory frequency until you get a nice solid and stable overclock.

UnexceptionalJew

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Awesome! So I think im gonna go for around 1250 or so boost clock. How far do I need to overclock the memory in order to be as fast as the 770?

jdevers

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

About 7010MHz. So that is an increase of I think about 350MHz. Should be pretty doable. If while running OC Scanner you can keep the temps at about 80 with 75% or less fan speed, you're golden. The SC cards have exception silicon, so you should be able to go pretty far if you are patient. Up the voltage if you need too, but just keep it under 85.