Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Fan Speed Wont Change

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 28, 2013 11:09:03 AM

I have an XFX Radeon HD 6870 that keeps on overheating, so I tried to use AMD Overdrive (which has worked before to change fan speeds on this card) to change the fan speed to maximum to stop the problem. The software indicates a change in speed, but physically there is no difference, and the temperature remains at around 80-100 degrees celcius.

As a side note the card is in crossfire with a Sapphire Radeon HD 6850.

More about : fan speed wont change

August 28, 2013 11:20:13 AM

Do you have good airflow in your case? And what are your temps EXACTLY when you play a game? And you should definitely hear the difference between a 50% and 100% fan spinning. Try to use this software instead, and change your fan speed.
https://www.sapphireselectclub.com/ssc/TriXX/
August 28, 2013 11:59:41 AM

fjaesbog said:
Do you have good airflow in your case? And what are your temps EXACTLY when you play a game? And you should definitely hear the difference between a 50% and 100% fan spinning. Try to use this software instead, and change your fan speed.
https://www.sapphireselectclub.com/ssc/TriXX/


I have removed the case entirely due to problems with airflow and the temperatures ingame rise steadly from around 64 degrees Celsius to around 108. At this point I shut the game down as the computer itself shuts down after that.
The games I tested it with are Counterstrike: Global offensive (on low settings) and Antichamber.
I have just installed the Beta 13.8 driver to see if that helps.
I will use TriXX if CCC fails again

Unfortunately neither CCC or TriXX worked, and the card (XFX 6870) still idled at around 60-70 degrees Celsius. I think their must be a problem with the card's fan itself

Also forgot to mention, I am running Windows 7 64 bit
Related resources
August 28, 2013 12:14:33 PM

But did the fan spin faster when you changed it, or did it just stay at the same value?(RPM)
How old is your card? Does it still have warranty etc?
August 28, 2013 2:43:53 PM

fjaesbog said:
But did the fan spin faster when you changed it, or did it just stay at the same value?(RPM)
How old is your card? Does it still have warranty etc?


Yes I have the warranty, and the card was bought near the end of July new. The fan speed did noticeably change now. Some software went wrong somewhere supposedly. However the temperature is still 102+ so I think airflow may still be an issue.

Best solution

August 28, 2013 11:05:47 PM
Share

OliBeBored said:
fjaesbog said:
But did the fan spin faster when you changed it, or did it just stay at the same value?(RPM)
How old is your card? Does it still have warranty etc?


Yes I have the warranty, and the card was bought near the end of July new. The fan speed did noticeably change now. Some software went wrong somewhere supposedly. However the temperature is still 102+ so I think airflow may still be an issue.


Try to open your case, and see what the temps are from there. Do you have a front and back fan that shoots out the air from the inside of your case?

August 31, 2013 4:37:38 AM

fjaesbog said:
OliBeBored said:
fjaesbog said:
But did the fan spin faster when you changed it, or did it just stay at the same value?(RPM)
How old is your card? Does it still have warranty etc?


Yes I have the warranty, and the card was bought near the end of July new. The fan speed did noticeably change now. Some software went wrong somewhere supposedly. However the temperature is still 102+ so I think airflow may still be an issue.


Try to open your case, and see what the temps are from there. Do you have a front and back fan that shoots out the air from the inside of your case?


It Turns out that the fan on the card was faulty, and was extremely stiff, and remained so even after applying (a non conductive) lubricant. However the card cannot be sent back as there are stains from the water cooling system.

For the time being I have added another fan to cool the gpu directly, and adjusted other fans to improve airflow. That seems to have helped. I think I'll get a water cooling block for the card though as I have a large excess in the water cooling system.

I appreciate your help, thank you.
August 31, 2013 5:10:26 AM

Glad you fixed it :)  Good job!
!