Is my FX 8350 too hot?

benjanini61

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Heys guys i recenty updated my motherboard to a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 which is matched with my fx 8350.

Ive got it stable (i believe, except for illegal sumout errors on P95) to 4.8Ghz and im using the Asus thermal radar to test temperatures.
In Prime95 ive seen 61c which i then exited. But Coretemp shows a lower temperature. While Thermal radar says im at 58, coretemp says about 38c.

Another strange thing, in HWinfo64 i have 2 different cpu temps one of them showing the same as coretemp and one of them reads the same as thermal radar.

Is one of them the Cores temp? and the other the socket/packet temp? im not sure.

Which one should i be paying attention to?

Ok so thats my first query. But my gut says to trust thermal radar as the motherboard has its own temp sensors.

So according to thermal radar at 4.8Ghz with 1.48v i saw max temps in Bf3 maxed out 1440p at 54c, Chivalry i saw it max at 48c.
If these are the correct temperatures do they sound reasonable?
With thermal radar once again the idle temp is around 35-37 and 37-39 in BIOS temps.

Im using a Phanteks dual rad/dual fan cooler. tc14pe or something.

Solution
Thermal radar's readings are a lot more plausible. 38C in Prime95 on an overclocked FX-8350... not gonna happen. 61C in Prime95 is about as far as you'd want to push it. The gaming temps make sense and are not a problem. BF3 (multiplayer, presumably) puts a fairly heavy load on the CPU, while Chivalry is a little less demanding.
Thermal radar's readings are a lot more plausible. 38C in Prime95 on an overclocked FX-8350... not gonna happen. 61C in Prime95 is about as far as you'd want to push it. The gaming temps make sense and are not a problem. BF3 (multiplayer, presumably) puts a fairly heavy load on the CPU, while Chivalry is a little less demanding.

Solution

benjanini61

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Yer i thought that would make more sense and yes it was BF3 multiplayer, Operation firestorm 64 player to be precise. Even though im reaching high temps in Prime95, would you say this is a safe overclock?

cmi86

Distinguished

If it runs stable (no crashes/bsod) I would ride with it. Just make sure you watch your temps on warm summer days or your CPU will throttle and your game will lag, and then you will get shot in the face, thats never fun.