660 SLI Plus a PhysX GPU to unbottleneck an AMD 965?

frdmftr

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I am running two ASUS GTX 660 in SLI on Gigabyte 990FXA motherboard with 8Gb RAM at 1333Mhz and an AMD 965 Clocked at 3.9Ghz. I am getting 56FPS with metro 2033 Very High 4xMSAA 16xAF DX11 and Tess, so I'm not bottlenecking there. In Guild Wars @ my fps is in the 20-35 range in Divinity Reach plus when it loads it loads slow and the Buildings come on screen one by one until the scene is all loaded then the fps drop. I'm guessing this is due to the limitations of my 965?
Also, I was thinking of adding a 620 or 630 as a dedicated PhysX card. Can either the 620 or 630 process PhysX fast enough for the SLI set up?

Those cards might be a little shy of the necessary CUDA cores to pair with GTX 660 Ti's in SLI. I would have to recommend a minimum GT640 or better 650. That is, if you feel that your performance in GPU accelerated PhysX games is not high enough for smooth gameplay. Of course, you'll also need a PSU strong enough to run three video cards.

You need to make sure that you're targeting a performance boost in actual PhysX games. Metro 2033 uses PhysX, but not with enough depth to stress your performance too much. Guild Wars in not a GPU accelerated PhysX game.

its probably your cpu. dont bother getting another gpu. Spring for an fx 8350, or even better make the switch to intel i5/i7.
Also, have you tried disabling SLI for the games that dont run well? SLI works well most of the time but there are some games that dont support it fully. Also a driver and/or game reinstall may help.

frdmftr

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks jack and 17seconds.
They are not the Ti Version. They are the 960 core GTX 660. GW2 is an sli supported game I was wondering if the slow, peice by peice rendering was a CPU bottleneck as everyother game I have run so far is great on SLI

frdmftr

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks Iam2
Yes I have disabled SLI and run many tests and there was no change. I just upgraded from a GTX 260 and it didn't happen with that card that is why I was thinking it was the CPU. I thought about the 8350 but it doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade for gaming compared to my 965. I think a 3770 or 4770 is the way to go, just upgraded my amd mobo though :/

You could always overclock the 965 if you have a CPU cooler. I havent overclocked mine. Getting past 4.0GHz is rather difficult though. A Physx GPU wouldnt help you, the two 660's should be fast enough.

I mean, you could always just live with it. The board you bought is really nice, and there's nothing wrong with the 965 (I have one lol).

You should keep an eye out for what is using the most load in your setup to see if the CPU is actually the culprit. If the CPU is at 100% sometimes while playing, then that is your bottleneck.

cpu load isnt always a good indicator of bottleneck. if a game only uses 2 cores, windows often splits the load on the other 2 cores and you willl see 50% useage. A better way is to drop screen resolution way down, if fps increases significantly, then gpu bottleneck, if no real change, then cpu bottleneck.

I have to differ, the best way to check for a CPU bottleneck is to just look at your GPU usage on an intense game with VSync OFF. Anything below 99% GPU usage is an indication of the amount of CPU bottlenecking. After all, what you really want to know is how much your GPU is being held back by the rest of the system. If it only needs to run at 50% on BF3, then the system is holding it back.

frdmftr

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Used regedit to stop the core parking and that helped thanks crowe. Since starting this post I have tried 660 SLI and have upgraded to an FX 8320 then switched to a single GTX 680. Switching to the 8320 has given me a 8% preformance increase in gaming(at best) and that was true for the SLI setup and the single 680.