7970 Ghz no signal detected on boot with 8 pin and 6 pin, boots fine with only 8 pin

aotengs

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hi guys,

I just finished my first build and have a bit of problem. The computer boots up fine to the bios with all fans spinning and everything when I have only the 8 pin connected to my XFX 7970 Ghz card, but when I connect both the 6+2 and 6 pin to the card, my monitor shows no signal detected.

I had believed the gfx card requires both 8 + 6 pin connections? Also note that I read on a review the card may require 2x 6 pin connectors, but when I tried only using the two 6 pin connectors, I get the same no signal detected error.

The PSU is an Antec 520W modular with 2 6+2 pin connectors split from the 1 cable.

Is there something wrong with my graphics card? Or is the PSU simply not compatible with that card? I'm a bit lost here.

Cheers for any advice you can give me

Solution
Most likely your PSU can drive the single 8pin with high enough voltage and amps to run your GPU at low power need situations.
But when you connect the 'split' cable to both it no longer provides enough juice for the 8pin.
So either you can try to connect the 2nd 6 pin from another location or you are going to have to get a new PSU.
On that note newegg is running a great sale on the HX750. $109.99 ( and $20 MIR )

rvilkman

Distinguished
Most likely your PSU can drive the single 8pin with high enough voltage and amps to run your GPU at low power need situations.
But when you connect the 'split' cable to both it no longer provides enough juice for the 8pin.
So either you can try to connect the 2nd 6 pin from another location or you are going to have to get a new PSU.
On that note newegg is running a great sale on the HX750. $109.99 ( and $20 MIR )

Solution

aotengs

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

So you think it's an issue with the PSU and not the GFX? I also live in Australia so can't buy from Newegg. Hopefully if it's a PSU issue I can just take it back on warranty and get it replaced. I

rvilkman

Distinguished

aotengs

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Ahh damn... and to think all the posts I've read where people have had concerns about sufficient wattage and everybody saying ~500w is fine ;/. I suppose I will try and get it replaced

aotengs

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
I just found out I made a pretty big FUBAR.... Turns out I had plugged in the hdmi cable to the integrated graphics port on my mobo and not the gfx card itself. I have work now so I won't be able to test it plugged in to the gfx until tonight... but do you think that might have been the problem why it wasn't posting when I had both pins connected to the gfx? Something to do with the mobo trying to get display from the card since all the connectors are in, but the cable was in the integrated port

rvilkman

Distinguished

A bit hard to say, but a HCG-520 should be able to run that card. Even though the 'max load' for the 12V is 'only' 480W still it should run fine. But yeah give it a try, plug the cable to video card properly, plug in your PCIe's and see if you get a picture. If not then make sure that your bios also has the display settings setup so that it tries from PCI first instead of the onboard or on-chip graphics, at least i had to do that for my Asus board.