360 Radiator fans

Solution
Noctua NF-F12's, Silverstone Air Penetrators and Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850's are the typically recommended radiator fans, their pretty good.
Though what fan to get depends on your radiator. If your talking a slim low FPI rad, you really dont need anything special in terms of fans. Get yourself a High FPI 80mm thick rad, you better get good fans or you will get nowhere near its potential performance.

elgydium

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I've tried 3x scythe gentle typhoon @ 1850rpm and wasnt too happy about them. The noise was fine but the power was kind of low for my taste. So I have a 5400rpm now, and they're like a jet engine.

Can they be fan controlled, having only 3 pins? Do the fan controllers on the market convert that? I know I need to have the 4th pin for temperature, thus manipulating the speed.
I'm not good with soldering like this guy explains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1vNo2CRlcs

oczdude8

Distinguished
oh yes they can! you don't need 4 pins for control. Get a good fan controller and you can adjust those babies to any speed you wish.

the 4th pin is for PWM (pulse width modulation) and its sort of a pulsing signal that mobos use to control fan speeds based on temps.

3 pin fans can be controlled the old fashioned way. Voltage. this is how fan controllers work, they send a low voltage for slow speeds and high for fast speeds.

you can get something like this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998100

or this with a touchscreen:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992004

elgydium

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Noctua NF-F12's, Silverstone Air Penetrators and Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850's are the typically recommended radiator fans, their pretty good.
Though what fan to get depends on your radiator. If your talking a slim low FPI rad, you really dont need anything special in terms of fans. Get yourself a High FPI 80mm thick rad, you better get good fans or you will get nowhere near its potential performance.

Solution

elgydium

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

So you're saying a 8cm rad does the difference with my gentle typhoons 5400rpm? I only need a fan controller for them cause they are too damn loud. Or do I need a push pull on it?

Right now I'm standing on the edge between a 8cm thick with typhoons @ 5400 or another 240 rad (besides my 360, 4cm thick, i already own). Please give me a nudge on this.

Any fan running that fast will be loud, regardless of what radiator its screwed too. For an 80mm rad with high FPI, a push/pull setup would give you a noticeable performance increase.

I cant really give you any advice on what/how much rad to get as I dont know what you are cooling.

elgydium

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I'm cooling a 3770k with a future OC, and a gtx 690 (dual gpu). Practically the most powerful components up to date. Well apart from haswell.

For a setup like that 360mm + 240mm would be my guess, dual GPU cards pump out a lot of heat. You would want to do the TDP calculations to compare that to your rads capabilities though.
Though a GTX690 isn't that great a card, the 780 performs far too close to it to justify the price and comes packed with more VRAM, which you will need if you want to take advantage the performance either offer.

elgydium

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I know what you mean, I already did the tdp before buying the corsair HX1000. As for a gtx 780 I dont know, I needed cuda cores, I'm a web designer & architect. Design is all I do.

As for Vram, 690 has a lot of that.

The 690 has 4GB split among two GPU's, so in effective memory it only has 2GB.
If you need CUDA cores and compute capabilities, a Titan would be the better option I think (and that has a lot of VRAM).

Though if your not gaming at all, why are you looking into mainstream cards? You want to be looking at workstation cards like the AMD Firepro, Nvidia Tesla and Quadro lines.

elgydium

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I'm a gamer as well. I just bought the beast, I can't go back now. It's not that cheap you know.