Solved

Can't decide between 3 configs

Hi. I am buying a new config in a week or two and after a lot of thinking i've made 3 configs, which i like, and can't decide which 1 to get. I will use it mainly for gaming and movies. Some help would be really appreciated, any other suggestions are welcome too.

Unlocked Ivy Bridge based config:
I5-3570K /3.4G/6MB/BOX/LGA1155
ASROCK Z77 EXTREME3 /Z77/1155
CM HYPER 212 EVO
GB GTX760 GV-N760OC-2GD
1T SG SATA 6G/7200/64 /3Y WARR
Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8GB 2x240 CL9 Vengeance Pro R
PSU SEASONIC SS-520GB BRONZE
FD CORE 3000 USB3 ATX BLACK
~800 euro total

Unlocked Haswell based config:
I5-4670K /3.4G/6MB/BOX/LGA1150
GB Z87-HD3 /1150
CM HYPER 412 PS
GB GTX760 GV-N760OC-2GD
1T SG SATA 6G/7200/64 /3Y WARR
Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8GB 2x240 CL9 Vengeance Pro R
PSU SEASONIC SS-520GB BRONZE
FD CORE 3000 USB3 ATX BLACK
~820 euro total

Locked Haswell based config + SSD:
I5-4670 /3.4G/6MB/BOX/LGA1150
GB B85-HD3 /1150
GB GTX760 GV-N760OC-2GD
1T SG SATA 6G/7200/64 /3Y WARR
Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 8GB 2x240 CL9 Vengeance Pro R
PSU SEASONIC SS-520GB BRONZE
KINGSTON SSD 120GB SV300S37A
FD CORE 3000 USB3 ATX BLACK
~830 euro total

So far the 1st one is my favorite, mainly because it costs a bit less and because the Ivy looks a bit cooler and clocks a bit better, but it is on a dead socket. On the other hand Haswell is probably more perspective and is newer. My third option is locked Haswell (not sure if it is enough for all games?) and an added SSD.

Thanks in advance :)
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about decide configs
  1. Best answer
    Ivy in my opinion. You will need one hell of a cooler to OC MOST haswell chips, and the 1150 socket is dead the moment it released. Only the haswell refresh will be supported, and that will definitely not be worth the upgrade.

    So yes, Ivy if you plan on OCing and if you do not have a need for an extra 2 Native USB3 and 2 native SATA 6Gbps ports.

    If you do not plan on OCing, then the Locked haswell is by far the most balanced. Keep in mind that you can never dual-GPU on a B85 chipset board, so the Z87/Z77 has that going for it.
  2. Thank you for your opinion. I am getting the first one, and maybe later I will add a SSD. One more question: is there any point to get any ram higher than 1600 mhz?
  3. crix said:
    Thank you for your opinion. I am getting the first one, and maybe later I will add a SSD. One more question: is there any point to get any ram higher than 1600 mhz?


    Depends, G.skill Snipers 2X8 1866MHz RAM goes for just under 70$, so its worth the cost there.
    But generally the price is more.
  4. Already ordered the 1st one, expecting it after the weekend :)
    Could u tell me what clock can I reach? Was thinking on 4.5 ghz, or is going to be too high? What voltage should i set it on?
  5. Most people get at least 4.4GHz with the EVO, but each and every single chip reacts differently when OCd.
  6. Right. And about the voltage, is 1.255V fine or it depends too?
  7. Novuake is right i have an i5 3570k and and h100i and i can only get up to 4.3 stable
  8. crix said:
    Right. And about the voltage, is 1.255V fine or it depends too?


    That will change with every chip... OCing is a process, you need to find the lowest possible voltage needed to keep the ship stable under load.
  9. cramved said:
    Novuake is right i have an i5 3570k and and h100i and i can only get up to 4.3 stable


    Either you have the unluckiest chip on the planet, or you are doing something wrong. LOL
    What are the settings you are using?
    Voltage?
    Temps?
  10. Novuake said:
    cramved said:
    Novuake is right i have an i5 3570k and and h100i and i can only get up to 4.3 stable


    Either you have the unluckiest chip on the planet, or you are doing something wrong. LOL
    What are the settings you are using?
    Voltage?
    Temps?

    multiplier 43
    voltage 1.275
    load line calibration extreme

    If i go over 43 it crashes under load
    the temps are good always under 80
  11. cramved said:
    Novuake said:
    cramved said:
    Novuake is right i have an i5 3570k and and h100i and i can only get up to 4.3 stable


    Either you have the unluckiest chip on the planet, or you are doing something wrong. LOL
    What are the settings you are using?
    Voltage?
    Temps?

    multiplier 43
    voltage 1.275
    load line calibration extreme

    If i go over 43 it crashes under load
    the temps are good always under 80


    Hmmm relax the LLC a bit.
    This is in BIOS right? Not some stupid program.
  12. One more question: that PSU (SEASONIC SS-520GB BRONZE) is enough for this system even when overclocked, right?
  13. More than enough.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Systems Intel i5