Please look over my $1,600 gaming build :)

erikjs

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hi! I took a few hours today to put a gaming PC together on Newegg and I was hoping someone could look over it and give me their thoughts and suggestions. I currently have a 27" 2011 i7 iMac, but it's just not quite enough for games. The game I play most is League of Legends, which is not very graphic-intensive at all, but there are a few others I play that need more, such as Battlefield 3.

Here is the link to the wish list on Newegg: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23160725.

I do not plan to overclock this computer and I do hope it'll last a few years before I have to upgrade some of the parts. Also, I will put LoL and Windows on the SSD (and maybe BF3), and put everything else on the hard drive.

My budget is whatever I get from selling the iMac. It looks like I should get at least $1,500, and I'm hoping to get more like $1,700. The thing with it is that I put in 16GB of RAM instead of the stock 4GB. If anyone has any idea of how much I should list it on eBay for, that'd be a huge help!

Thanks. :)

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week

Budget Range: I'm selling my 2011 i7 27" iMac with 16GB of RAM in it. I'm hoping to get around $1,650-$1,700 for it, so that'll be my budget.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (90%), Microsoft Word & streaming on twitch.tv (10%)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, 2 for a dual-monitor setup

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: IDK :p

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 by 1080

Additional Comments: I'm not too concerned about looks. Volume level is somewhat important.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: This Mac can't game. xD

Solution

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
If I were to spend $1600 I would be coming away with more than a single 660Ti.

For $1600 I don't see why you can't work in a GTX770 or even a GTX780.

The next-gen is right around the corner and I would recommend a little more oomph in the graphics department than a single 660Ti. True, you can always SLi later, but it's generally better to go with the best single card available at the time.

Praxeology

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

This is a solid build. The PSU OEM is Super Flower which is awesome, and those egg reviews reflect that OEM quality, this hard drive is much better than the original pick and I would strongly recommend going with these monitors because they offer tremendous value for a measly 40 dollars more, for 2 units, 20$ per unit. The ram pick also urks me because it doesn't say Corsair and besides, this matches your motherboard nicely.

Beyond these qualms, the AMD build is the same price as an i5 build and there is no question as to which has more fps potential in gaming. However most games utilize gpu and the various processors will only show an fps difference in CPU reliant games such as planet side, skyrim, or even wow. Otherwise fps will be equivalent. That is the CURRENT game. With the PS4 and XBOX1 shipping with AMD 8 cores, you better believe 2014 titles are coming 8 core optimized. Developer always want their games to look good but are limited with what can be easily handled. With last tier consoles showing their age and next gen AMD 8 cores, I guarantee that this thing will outperform the i5 even in CPU demanding games when they will utilize all 8 cores. The AMD cpu already beats Intel's competition in programs, not related to gaming ofc, that can actually utilize its cores. So screw the nay sayers, there is nothing wrong with an AMD build as it has more processing potential and will run equivalent fps in the vast majority of games. The only clause I would put in there is "in single gpu configurations." The 8350 will bottleneck 2 670s, and the fps difference can be seen on benchmarks.

- Prax

Solution

erikjs

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

I think you need to keep in mind, though, that a good chunk of this build (maybe $500 or so) is accessories, like monitors.