$1000 New Gaming System Buying This Weekend

Kerlysis

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Looking to take advantage of some Labor Day sales this weekend.

1000 is my limit, less would be better.

ATM this would be primarily for heavily modded Skyrim. Also Civ 5, Fallout, other Elder Scrolls, Sims, etc. No plans on future game purchases other than Sims 4.

Running 1920x1200 resolution.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xTff
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xTff/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xTff/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $654.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-30 02:54 EDT-0400)

Planning on reusing http://www.corsair.com/en/hx520w.html and disabling power saving mode if need be. Also have a copy of Windows 7 I am keeping.

Bangor, Maine, is the clsoest city to me, so Microcenter is out, mostly looking at Newegg because of their sales and shipping.

Not planning on overclocking at purchase, but in a few years if needed for performance(is this a dumb idea? New to OCing).

Planning on getting a second 760 at some point, depending on demands of newer games.

"And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading"

Running even unmodded Skyrim on my current system is about as smooth and stable as... as... a very not smooth and stable thing.

Now to hit publish and see what this tiny text input box looks like in an actual post...

Solution
1) 16GB of RAM is excessive, 8GB would be fine.

2) Although I'm no PSU expert, I would assume that a 520W PSU is not going to be enough for that build. Get a 650W PSU, or maybe even 750W if you are planning on getting a 2nd 760 so that you don't have to get ANOTHER PSU when you finally get round to buying that 2nd GPU.

3) If you can afford it, look at getting an SSD, maybe 120GB to put the OS and a few programs on as it will be the best purchase you ever make. It makes everything lightning fast.

Apart from that, looks awesome :). Hope this helps.

Havoc2510

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
1) 16GB of RAM is excessive, 8GB would be fine.

2) Although I'm no PSU expert, I would assume that a 520W PSU is not going to be enough for that build. Get a 650W PSU, or maybe even 750W if you are planning on getting a 2nd 760 so that you don't have to get ANOTHER PSU when you finally get round to buying that 2nd GPU.

3) If you can afford it, look at getting an SSD, maybe 120GB to put the OS and a few programs on as it will be the best purchase you ever make. It makes everything lightning fast.

Apart from that, looks awesome :). Hope this helps.

Solution

Kerlysis

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I probably should have mentioned that I already own a 240g SSD. Also, the 520 watt corsair is from my current system,, not something I was looking at buying. Since I don't intend to get a second card for at least a year, and PCPartPicker's guesstimate is 362w, I was thinking I could save a bit of cash by not getting a new PSU right away.

Thank you for answering. :)

Havoc2510

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

No problem, so long as you have checked that PSU will give enough power (which it sounds like you have) then it will be fine and save you money :)

gpellis87

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
That's very similar to the set up I have and I like it. It'll definitely run the games you've listed with no issues.

Only difference here is I've got Corsair Vengeance RAM, a 1TB hard drive, no optical drive, and a different case. I went with the Gigabyte GTX 760. Has a factory overclock and Windforce to keep it pretty cool, plus it has some room left for OC'ing it even more.

16GB RAM is overkill for a gaming machine. If you're running VMs or doing other things, it makes sense, or using it as a RAM Disk. But it makes no sense for gaming since most games are still using 32-bit and can't really operate with anything over 4.

Kerlysis

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013

More rams makes Farmville load faster.

Yeahhh, went with 16g on a friend's super YOU MUST DO THIS OR THE HELLGATES WILL OPEN recommendation. I can't see why it would be useful, either, tbh.

The price difference between a (not terrible) 1t and 2t drive is so tiny that I figured, why not?

I like the Gigabyte, too, and was leaning towards it before Zotac popped in and muddled everything with their price. Might still get it if I can't track down any feedback/reviews on the one in my list.

What case did you go with?

gpellis87

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

I actually went with a Rosewill Challenger for price. I believe it was 40 at the time. Had 3 fans and enough space for everything and cable management. Not the best looking case but it does the job for me.

Just to add, I got 16GB because I work in technology and I'm used to working with servers with ridiculous RAM levels and I was jealous. Zero performance difference.

TRENDING THREADS