I7 920 with GTX 770 on my current rig

veteranpride

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Hey guys,

I've had this question for a very long time and I really want an answer for it, so here it goes:

I currently have an I7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz (stock clock speed) with stock cooler and I want to buy a GTX 770 from gigabyte. My question is will my CPU bottleneck my new GPU or not? And if it does how much of an OC is needed to stop the CPU from bottlenecking the GPU and what kind of CPU cooler do you guys recommend for my I7 920? I myself had a Corsair H110 in mind but I'm not that sure about it. My 2nd question was: How much does the memory clock of my RAM need to be?
At the moment I have 6 GB of 1333 Mhz DD3 RAM.

Thank you very much in advance and have a very nice day!

Solution
im using a i7 920 oced to 4ghz on a old corsair h50.

I run 2 660tis in sli and I am getting performance slightly under what you would get on a i7-3xxx or i7-4xxx.

There is a very slight bottleneck, but its not even noticeable in real applications like games, where I fps similar to a gtx780.

Everyone will probably tell you watercoolers like h80 or h100i are "not worth it" and that a CM EVO 212 is better, but they both have tradeoffs.

I would recommend an h80i. Its more than enough. My i7 920 at 4ghz goes to 68c after 3 hours of p95 with a 4 year old corsair h50 with 2 fans. im sure an h80i will give a lot better performance.

Also, I think a 4ghz OC will do the trick to fix any bottleneck issues you may have.

oczdude8

Distinguished
im using a i7 920 oced to 4ghz on a old corsair h50.

I run 2 660tis in sli and I am getting performance slightly under what you would get on a i7-3xxx or i7-4xxx.

There is a very slight bottleneck, but its not even noticeable in real applications like games, where I fps similar to a gtx780.

Everyone will probably tell you watercoolers like h80 or h100i are "not worth it" and that a CM EVO 212 is better, but they both have tradeoffs.

I would recommend an h80i. Its more than enough. My i7 920 at 4ghz goes to 68c after 3 hours of p95 with a 4 year old corsair h50 with 2 fans. im sure an h80i will give a lot better performance.

Also, I think a 4ghz OC will do the trick to fix any bottleneck issues you may have.

Solution

veteranpride

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Thank you very much again for your answers, if you don't mind I have another question:
Should I OC in steps or should I go from 2,67 Ghz to 4 straight away and do you guys have a good guide for overclocking an I7 920 and how should I test the stability? and again How much does the memory clock of my RAM need to be?
At the moment I have 6 GB of 1333 Mhz DD3 RAM.
By the way I have also decided to buy the corsair H80i.
Thank you again in advance.

oczdude8

Distinguished
go up to maybe 3.5ghz without increasing voltage and see if its stable.

if it boots fine, run prime 95 for about 5 mins , then go back and increase more. When you get instability, increase voltage by a bit. Repeat this. Try to not increase cpu voltage until absolutely necessary.

Once you hit 4ghz or your goal, you want to run prime95 for atleast a good 5 hours to make sure its totattly stable.

Also, you should be monitoring temps throughout this whole process!

as for guides, try this:http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz