Why is my new GTX 650ti not performing to my expectations?

Hello, everybody! I'm Tiger from India. :)

I'm a fan of off-road racing games like Fuel, Pure, Dirt. Sometimes I play FPS with old themes like Call of Juarez. These games are not much demanding in my opinion.

My system is: C2D E7500 (not overclocked)
Mainboard: ASUS P5KPL AM/PS (G31 Chipset).
4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM.

Recently, my old GTS 250 went kaput and I purchased a ZOTAC GTX 650ti today, to replace it. To my utter disappointment, this card can't run FUEL properly at 1080p, 2x AA, 2x AF. I am getting only 20-25 fps, and in complex graphic areas, the game crashes to the desktop everytime. Drivers are all updated.

My old GTS 250 could run this game at 1650x1050 at 30-40 fps (AA, AF off), and now this so called powerful card can't even run it at 1080p? :(

GPU load is at maximum 99% during playing, Video Engine load is 28% max, CPU usage is averaged at 80-90%.


Is the card getting bottlenecked by the CPU or the PCIe 1.1 16x bus?
Or am I expecting too much from the card?

Please help. I'm extremely disappointed today after shelling out 10,000 INR, just to find the card can't run a 2009 game at 1080p.
16 answers Last reply
More about gtx 650ti performing expectations
  1. you are seousy cpu limted no way a e seres apu could handed gaming at 1080p
  2. You may wish to adjust settings to try to bring the frame rates up.
  3. Thank you for your answers. Do you think an upgrade to i5 3570 would help? What frame rates should I expect after the upgrade?
  4. Cookya: It's a GTX 650ti 1 GB 128-bit GDDR5.
  5. With a newer cpu, I was able to play games like bioshock infinite(I did not turn on AA or anything like that) without much issues on a 1gigabyte gtx 650ti.

    The card is at best a mid end card, So you almost have to expect that you will not be maxing out games.

    I have always played games like left4dead(easy to play on most systems), Guild Wars 2, StarCraft II, ect on one of those cards(settings adjusted to match the card). The cpu was an i5 750 and the screen resolution was 1920 x 1200. Again, In some games you HAVE to adjust the settings to make it smoother.
  6. Thanks for the reply, Nukemaster. :)

    One thing I'd like to ask: In GPU-z the Video Engine load is at max 28% while gaming (although GPU load is at 99%). Is this a sign of bottleneck?
  7. I would have thought that the PCI-E x1.1 coupled with the C2D would give poor results, The i5 with a new mobo (OFC) Would be a huge upgrade, I know of people with 2nd gen i3's and a gtx 650ti who can play bf3 on medium/high in 1080p.
  8. Thanks for your opinions. So now I'm planning to upgrade to i5 3570 (NOT K). What chipset board do you suggest? B75 or H77 (They have a price difference of 1500 INR).

    I don't ever overclock and I want extreme durability of 4-5 years. Is the extra 1500 INR justified for my case if I go with the H77? Also, I do full HD Video editing a lot, with Corel VS Pro.
  9. The Tiger said:
    Thanks for the reply, Nukemaster. :)

    One thing I'd like to ask: In GPU-z the Video Engine load is at max 28% while gaming (although GPU load is at 99%). Is this a sign of bottleneck?

    The max and average are different things too. I would look more at average as video load goes all over.

    28% video load seems high for just gaming. Are you sure it was not Memory Controller load?
  10. nukemaster said:
    The Tiger said:
    Thanks for the reply, Nukemaster. :)

    One thing I'd like to ask: In GPU-z the Video Engine load is at max 28% while gaming (although GPU load is at 99%). Is this a sign of bottleneck?

    The max and average are different things too. I would look more at average as video load goes all over.

    28% video load seems high for just gaming. Are you sure it was not Memory Controller load?


    Err..perhaps I noted it wrong. I shall check it out once again and post.
  11. u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    The Tiger said:
    Thanks for your opinions. So now I'm planning to upgrade to i5 3570 (NOT K). What chipset board do you suggest? B75 or H77 (They have a price difference of 1500 INR).

    I don't ever overclock and I want extreme durability of 4-5 years. Is the extra 1500 INR justified for my case if I go with the H77? Also, I do full HD Video editing a lot, with Corel VS Pro.


    Since you can't SLI the 1GB 650ti and do not plan to do any type of overclocking of the RAM or CPU, the B75 will be just as good as the H77. There is no reason to spend more, they will perform the same the way you are planning on setting it up and using it.


    Thanks a lot, lot lot! I was really confused on this. Somehow I'm wired into the belief that entry level chipsets cause the CPU, GPU and RAM to perform slower than mid-range ones. I've always analogied CPU as the brain and the chipset as spinal cord. So powerful brain + weak spinal cord = slow response. :D

    Thanks for clearing this up. :) Also I want super-durability of 5 years. Till now, no board has lasted me over 3.5 years. Which brand do you suggest? Asus or Gigabyte? Asus is much costlier than Gigabyte, while Gigabyte boasts of durability features.
  12. u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    The Tiger said:
    Thanks for your opinions. So now I'm planning to upgrade to i5 3570 (NOT K). What chipset board do you suggest? B75 or H77 (They have a price difference of 1500 INR).

    I don't ever overclock and I want extreme durability of 4-5 years. Is the extra 1500 INR justified for my case if I go with the H77? Also, I do full HD Video editing a lot, with Corel VS Pro.


    Since you can't SLI the 1GB 650ti and do not plan to do any type of overclocking of the RAM or CPU, the B75 will be just as good as the H77. There is no reason to spend more, they will perform the same the way you are planning on setting it up and using it.


    Thanks a lot, lot lot! I was really confused on this. Somehow I'm wired into the belief that entry level chipsets cause the CPU, GPU and RAM to perform slower than mid-range ones. I've always analogied CPU as the brain and the chipset as spinal cord. So powerful brain + weak spinal cord = slow response. :D

    Thanks for clearing this up. :) Also I want super-durability of 5 years. Till now, no board has lasted me over 3.5 years. Which brand do you suggest? Asus or Gigabyte? Asus is much costlier than Gigabyte, while Gigabyte boasts of durability features.
  13. I'm a little confused about this board I'm propensed to buy:

    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4152#ov


    How can a B75 have 2 PCIe x16? 4 DIMM slots! How?

    Is the bandwidth shared? Should I aim for a board that has a single PCI-e? Since I'm not SLI-ing, so my single graphics card will run at PCIe 3.0 x8 instead of x16, right?

    Could you please clarify?


    I like a big ATX FF board because I use a PCI sound card and I don't want the GPU heat to affect the sound card, as in Micro ATX, the GPU sits very close to the sound card and also the GPU fan sucks in very less air because of the sound card immediately below it.
  14. u_gonna_squeal_b4_we_cookya said:
    If you wanted to know which brand makes the best quality motherboards, most people would recommend Asus. I have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 which is one of the only motherboards that has a 5 year warranty. There are a few others that have a 5 year warranty, i believe, from MSI and Asrock. But, these are top of the line boards and usually cost over $200. The Sabertooth also adds a plastic "armor" over the board to protect it from any dust or accidental shorts. Almost all other boards only offer 3 years.

    Can you post a link to the two motherboards you are considering? The quality of a motherboard is all about what components it uses especially the voltage regulator parts. Usually, this is only a concern if you are overclocking since besides the CPU, the capacitors and mosfets produce the most heat. Most of these parts are located near the CPU which is why it is a good idea to get an aftermarket CPU cooler even if you are not overclocking. If you clean the board periodically (once or twice a year) and maintain a cool, dry environment for it, it should last well beyond the 3 year warranty.

    Here is a good explanation of what is and what is not a good quality voltage regulation circuit on a motherboard: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-The-Motherboard-Voltage-Regulator-Circuit/616

    Basically, what I look for are the "solid" capacitors which are usually much shorter than the regular, cheaper ones. In face, most of the higher quality components tend to be smaller and shorter than the low quality ones. They do the same job, but the smaller high quality parts do so while producing less heat and using less power; they are much more efficient. This article also shows you where to look for on the board and what to look for when shopping for motherboards with high quality parts.


    Thank you so much!

    The two boards I'm comparing are:

    http://www.flipkart.com/asus-p8b75-m-lx-motherboard/p/itmdezctxskthyvh?pid=MBDDEZ2WZH5H66ZZ&ref=aea55c66-e761-4889-aaaf-1ffbab71ef4b


    and


    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4152#sp


    I'm really confused about the second though. I am inclined to buy it but, my question is how can a B75 have 2 PCIe x16 slots? 4 DIMM slots! How?

    Is the bandwidth shared over the PCIe? Should I aim for the ASUS board that has a single PCI-e? Since I'm not SLI-ing, so my single graphics card will run at PCIe 3.0 x8 instead of x16, right?

    Could you please clarify?
  15. Thanks a lot for your help. You have helped me a lot! I'm so much grateful to all of you. :) You're simply amazing people! Take care. Thanks again!
  16. I'm gonna order the Gigabyte. It's cheap and big. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Graphics