Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Strange Monitor Screen Tearing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 30, 2013 6:01:32 PM

When I say strange screen tearing I mean im NOT seeing this problem in the games I play (mostly Skyrim). Im seeing this problem when Im using my 3d modeling and sculpting programs (3ds max and Mudbox), Photoshop and sometimes on internet sites where the webpage background is a dark color. I have read countless forum posts but nothing seems to work.
Im using a brand spankin new Asus vs239 23inch monitor connected to a Samsung RC512 laptop via VGA cable. This screen tearing exists when the displays are duplicated and when the display is only shown on the Asus monitor.
This problem is only happening on the Monitor when connected to the laptop. Both my laptop and monitor have a 60hz refresh rate. Turning Vsync on or off does nothing for this problem (Nvidia 525m Graphics card with latest driver update so im using NCP). Turning the monitors resolution up or down does not hide the problem.
Is there a solution or work around to this problem or am I stuck with the regular laptop screen until I can get a desktop? Any help would be awesome, thanks!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 6:20:08 PM

Your 3D modeling software may not have a v-sync option. V-sync is a gaming option and only works in fullscreen as far as I'm aware. The desktop has no v-sync option and I believe it doesn't even try, but with a static background, it really doesn't matter much.

On top of all that, v-sync, when it is working, doesn't work properly with multiple monitors in some situations.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2013 6:20:32 PM



ditch the vga cable and use HDMI or DVI or display port . Whatever digital connector you laptop has

VGA refreshes pixel by pixel , line by line
Digital connectors change all pixels in the image at the same time .
I suspect that will be the cure
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 6:22:44 PM

Outlander_04 said:


ditch the vga cable and use HDMI or DVI or display port . Whatever digital connector you laptop has

VGA refreshes pixel by pixel , line by line
Digital connectors change all pixels in the image at the same time .
I suspect that will be the cure


That certainly isn't true. Tearing happens on digital connections all day every day. They both refresh in the same manner.

Btw, Skyrim won't tear, because v-sync is defaulted on in that game. You have to force it off to not use it from the Nvidia control panel.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2013 6:52:15 PM

bystander said:
Outlander_04 said:


ditch the vga cable and use HDMI or DVI or display port . Whatever digital connector you laptop has

VGA refreshes pixel by pixel , line by line
Digital connectors change all pixels in the image at the same time .
I suspect that will be the cure


That certainly isn't true. Tearing happens on digital connections all day every day. They both refresh in the same manner.

Btw, Skyrim won't tear, because v-sync is defaulted on in that game. You have to force it off to not use it from the Nvidia control panel.



That certainly is true about the way the screens are refreshed . Some people even have neurological conditions that are triggered by the slow scrolling refresh of a VGA connection on an LCD monitor .

In this instance since we know that turning on vSync made no difference so the issue is nothing to do with the frame RATE causing tearing [ which as you suggest happens all the time .......just not in THIS case]

The OP should try a digital connector .
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 6:57:07 PM

Outlander_04 said:
bystander said:
Outlander_04 said:


ditch the vga cable and use HDMI or DVI or display port . Whatever digital connector you laptop has

VGA refreshes pixel by pixel , line by line
Digital connectors change all pixels in the image at the same time .
I suspect that will be the cure


That certainly isn't true. Tearing happens on digital connections all day every day. They both refresh in the same manner.

Btw, Skyrim won't tear, because v-sync is defaulted on in that game. You have to force it off to not use it from the Nvidia control panel.



That certainly is true about the way the screens are refreshed . Some people even have neurological conditions that are triggered by the slow scrolling refresh of a VGA connection on an LCD monitor .

In this instance since we know that turning on vSync made no difference so the issue is nothing to do with the frame RATE causing tearing [ which as you suggest happens all the time .......just not in THIS case]

The OP should try a digital connector .

I think you are confusing the differences between LCD and CRT. VGA and DVI connections both refresh line by line in a slow manner. There just isn't a flicker to go with it, regardless of connection, when on an LCD/LED.

Assuming this is a tearing issue, and not a defect, VGA isn't any different.

The difference is that the colors are represented in a digital format.

This is a difficult topic to look up, so I'm going to ask you to post a link to support this claim, as it makes absolutely no sense.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2013 7:12:43 PM

It is NOT a tearing issue since enabling vSync made no difference .

He should try a digital connector

Leave your email address . I will tell my friend John to write to you about why watching a vga driven screen causes him instant headaches and makes him want to hurl
m
0
l
August 30, 2013 7:39:42 PM

Tried Hdmi and the monitor wont even pick up a signal from the HDMI input, just gives me a no signal sign then the monitor goes to sleep. On this laptop there is no DVI port from what I can see. Should I return the monitor and wait for a desktop or live with the tearing? Also what do you mean by "digital connector"?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 8:52:25 PM

Outlander_04 said:
It is NOT a tearing issue since enabling vSync made no difference .

He should try a digital connector

Leave your email address . I will tell my friend John to write to you about why watching a vga driven screen causes him instant headaches and makes him want to hurl


You are talking about CRT's vs. LCD's. CRT's flicker, LCD's don't. This can cause people to get headaches or nausea. This is NOT a VGA vs. DVI thing. The only thing that VGA has to do with this is the fact that most CRT's use VGA, so you are connecting the wrong dots.

V-sync doesn't work on the desktop, it doesn't work in applications. It only works in games. He is not gaming, therefore it doesn't help.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 8:54:06 PM

Valdemarr said:
Tried Hdmi and the monitor wont even pick up a signal from the HDMI input, just gives me a no signal sign then the monitor goes to sleep. On this laptop there is no DVI port from what I can see. Should I return the monitor and wait for a desktop or live with the tearing? Also what do you mean by "digital connector"?


DVI, HDMI and Displayport are digital signals. However, he has no idea what he is talking about regarding refresh technique. They all refresh the same way and get tears in the same manner.

It may still be worth using one of the other connections, if you have an option. You may have a defective cord or port.
m
0
l
August 30, 2013 9:13:10 PM

In total I have tried 3 monitors, Probably 4 VGA cables, and two HDMI cables. I recently had a problem with screen yellowing (if knowing that makes any difference), but getting a new monitor fixed that problem, now im just down to the tearing.
Would this problem exists on a desktop with only one display connected?
With this monitor I have tried 2 vga cables and 2 hdmi cables to atempt to solve the tearing.

Update: Got curious and checked the refresh rate of the Monitor and its actually 75hz. Is there any way to reduce the refresh rate of the monitor to 60 to match my laptop?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 10:14:48 PM

Valdemarr said:
In total I have tried 3 monitors, Probably 4 VGA cables, and two HDMI cables. I recently had a problem with screen yellowing (if knowing that makes any difference), but getting a new monitor fixed that problem, now im just down to the tearing.
Would this problem exists on a desktop with only one display connected?
With this monitor I have tried 2 vga cables and 2 hdmi cables to atempt to solve the tearing.

Update: Got curious and checked the refresh rate of the Monitor and its actually 75hz. Is there any way to reduce the refresh rate of the monitor to 60 to match my laptop?


I assume that the problem persisted with all monitors and all connection types? I'm fairly certain that at the desktop, and in windowed apps, tearing occurs at all times.

But if you want to check another possibility, make your monitor run at 60hz. You should be able to do it from within the Nvidia control panel, or in Windows resolution dialog under advanced settings. V-sync wouldn't be able to work with two different refresh rates.
m
0
l
August 30, 2013 11:00:12 PM

Both Displays are locked to 60hz and by locked I mean that no matter where I go to change the refresh rate, the only option is 60 hz. Does this actually mean the refresh rates are the same or is there another hidden way to change them?

Yes the tearing existed on all monitors I tried. The sepia effect was solved with a new monitor.

The tearing exists in all apps (windowed or not) besides video games, since Vsync is enable in the games.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 C Monitor
August 30, 2013 11:03:19 PM

Does this "tearing" happen when the image is static, or in motion? If it only happens while it is in motion, there may be no solution. As far as I'm aware, Windows does not prevent tearing at the desktop. Games have v-sync, and applications can have their own built in v-sync or options, but you cannot force it on from the Nvidia control panel. If the program doesn't offer a setting, there is nothing you can do.
m
0
l
August 30, 2013 11:45:35 PM

Only when the image is in motion unfortunately. So then thats it, at least I have an answer. Would this happen on a desktop only running one display? Reason I ask is im looking into a new desktop.

The problem is noticeable but not too debilitating. Do I live with the problem or do I take the monitor back and wait for a new computer or try a higher refresh rate monitor?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2013 12:35:56 AM

Its a step forward to eliminate the connector as being the issue .

Next thing to do is look at hardware acceleration

Right click on the desktop and select select Screen Resolution
On the window that opens up, click on the Advanced Settings link
Select the Troubleshoot tab, then click Change Settings
Move the Hardware acceleration slider towards none to reduce or turn off video hardware acceleration.
Click OK, and then click Restart Now.

Or turn on hardware acceleration if it is Off

It may also be grayed out by the graphics driver
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 10:10:51 AM

the Change settings button is Greyed out.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2013 3:25:17 PM

I havent used the latest nVidia drivers . Actually I havent used nVidia drivers for nearly 5 years . but there may be a setting available .

One other thing I dont think was covered is screen resolution . Are both screens at the same resolution?
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 3:45:25 PM

Both screens are at the same resolution. Other resolutions do nothing help.
m
0
l
!