Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which card? GTX760 vs HD7950 Boost

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 31, 2013 5:47:19 AM

Hey guys!

I recently sold my 2 year old 6950 Dirt 3 edition for a pretty sweet price.

So now I'm looking for replacement!

Here are some options:

- SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 OC with Boost VAPOR-X (220 euro), - not sure if I can get it at this price, second-hand bidding site

- MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC (235 euro) - one of the best 760's out there?


I'm still doubting wether I should go GTX 760 (220-250 price range), HD7950 Boost (230-280 price range) or even 660Ti. (180-200 euro price range)

I would like to have a significant improvement in performance over my 2-year old HD6950 and my budget is 200-250 euro. I will play Battlefield 4, Watchdogs and GTA V along with current titles like Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Arma, etc...

I have two 24" 1080p monitors and I currently play games on just 1 of them, while browsing on the other. No plans for a triple screen setup for the next few years.

You can look up prices at www.tweakers.net/pricewatch
for example: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/339487/msi-n760-tf-2gd5-...

Thanks in advance!
August 31, 2013 5:55:43 AM

You already did some good reasearch, the MSI N760 is indeed one of the best price value and 760 cards out there. :) 
Tom's rated the card very high, and it has a good price quality too.
Also the N760 runs very cool and quiet if that matters for you.
I personally would go for the cheaper MSI N760, because the 760 and 7950 have almost the same performance.

Though if you want to play games on 2 screens the 7950 would be better.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 6:16:39 AM

Is it safe to kick out the 660Ti as an option because it's an "older card"? Does it perform worse in most cases vs the GTX 760 or is it still something to consider?


According to http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/856?vs=854 both the Nvidia and AMD beat eachother at different games.
Too bad this are probably just the stock versions of those cards..
Is there any site that compares those specific versions I'm looking at?
I like a good performance/price/quietness ratio but there are no reviews directly comparing those 2 cards either.. :S

Would you take the MSI N760 TF over the Sapphire 7950 Boost vapor-x given they were at exactly thesame price point?

I'll never play games on 2 screens (I don't think it fits in most games), so for now I'm just doing some other stuff on the second monitor.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 31, 2013 6:22:04 AM

The 660Ti is old but still good though the 760 beats it in every aspect.
the MSI N760 TF and Sapphire 7950 Boost vapor-x have almost the same ingame performance, they can both be overclocked well and have good cooling. The MSI one is a bit quieter, but it would come down to personal perference because if they were exactly the same price.
Though i think the 7950 is more future proof because of the higher memory bus and the 3gb vRam.
The 760 is the silent price qualty king.

And I personally would take the 7950 if they were at the same price, because it is a more futureproof card.
But because the 7950 is priced higher and doesn't fit in my budget range I would go for the 760.
But thats just my personal opinion. :) 
m
3
l
August 31, 2013 7:11:59 AM

Ok, it seems I'll get the N760 TF 2GD5/OC if I can't get my hands on a 7950 boost for a decent price.

I don't think i'd regret it, it seems like an awsome card :D  And since it has the same memory bandwith as the 6950 I'm used to, it will be an improvement on all the other specs!


I'm still looking for a site where you can compare specific editions of video cards in benchmarks. For example, since the 6950 is quite old, I can't find a gaming benchmark where identical games are used as with the GTX 760.
I also can't compare them on anandtech, because the 6950 isn't in the "2013" list.

Where can I find specific benchmark results on the improvements I'm getting from HD6950 to GTX760?
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 7:56:10 AM

I sure will! :D 
I ordered the MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC, can't wait till its arrival!
Close call with the SAPPHIRE HD 7950 Vapor-X OC (11196-09-40G), which I could get at thesame price.. :S

Great site, I remember to have come across it in the past.
It doesn't mention the HD7950 Boost in their charts, what's the reason for this?

I'm not familiar with the whole "boost" thing going on with both manufacturers, but as far as I know it's a technology that automatically overclocks your card until it reaches a certain temperature ceiling?
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 8:01:03 AM

Boost is nothing more that a slight factory overclock, which you can enable in your card settings, but they all come with good overclocking software to overclock even better.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 1:03:03 PM

Bleh, I ordered at a retailer which didn't participate with the Nvidia free game action. I asked my money back :p 

I'm still so torn between the 7950 and the 760...
Why doesn't tomshardware have a roundup of the 7950 boosts? The last 7950 roundup dates from august 2012..
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 1:10:35 PM

vsdagama said:
Bleh, I ordered at a retailer which didn't participate with the Nvidia free game action. I asked my money back :p 

I'm still so torn between the 7950 and the 760...
Why doesn't tomshardware have a roundup of the 7950 boosts? The last 7950 roundup dates from august 2012..

If you have any thought that you might want to enable PhysX in the upcoming Call of Duty: Ghosts, or any other upcoming PhysX game, better get the GTX 760.
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 6:00:15 AM

I'm not that interested in PhysX more then I would like the best overall fluid gaming experience.

I would like to know which brand of 7950 Boost would do best and maybe better than the MSI N760 TF 2GD5/OC under a given sound barrier, lets say 40db.
Is there any 7950 card that has a chance to win over the MSI 760 at that given sound level? (both overclocked if needed)

Very hard to compare anything when looking at reviews.. :S

the Radeon HD 7950 IceQ X2 Boost 3GB?
the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr Boost Edition 3GD5/OC? This one is apparently a little loud?
or the Sapphire Vapor-X OC?

I can't find any recent reviews comparing the 7950's!! :o 
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 8:13:20 AM

Finally a breakthrough!

I compared the HIS Radeon HD 7950 HIS IceQ X2 and the MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming by 2 extensive reviews on guru3d.com.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7950_x_...
and
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_ms...

In those reviews, the 7950 and 760 have almost identical temperature and noise results idle and at full load, which are excellent by the way! :) 

Furthermore, the 7950 beats the 760 in almost any game at 1080p and when you raise the resolution, the difference becomes even bigger!

This made me decide the 7950 by HIS to be the winner in this case, being slightly better at 1080p and more futureproof. Both are around thesame price point where I live so that makes the circle round.

Did I come to a right conclusion? Or am I overlooking something here?
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 8:17:18 AM

I would suggest a 660Ti, performs better and i perceive they OC better aswell, Go for either the ASUS 660Ti DCII or the gigabyte windforce x3, you won't be dissapointed.

the 7950 is better than the 760 in my opinion but does use more power. I'd still go for the 660Ti though
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 8:33:40 AM

adam a 7950 will crush a 660 ti when both are overclocked a 7950 overclocked to max will beat a gtx 680.there really is no reason to get a 660 ti at this time unless you can get a steal on one like 200$
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 8:45:38 AM

baner711 said:
adam a 7950 will crush a 660 ti when both are overclocked a 7950 overclocked to max will beat a gtx 680.there really is no reason to get a 660 ti at this time unless you can get a steal on one like 200$


My 660Ti crushes a 680! I get 7% increase in performance with my gigabyte 660Ti !!! In kombustor, furmark and heaven my 660Ti will rape a stock 680 and any other 7950 i can find. but i admit that in 3D mark the 7950 takes my score by about 500 points on firestrike
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 9:09:15 AM

I had a sapphire dual x that i got to 1200 mhz on the core actually i had 2 like that they both hit 1200 mhz and even my friends maxed out overclocked gtx 680 couldnt keep with it.Im not talking stock 680 id put a maxed overclocked 7950 up against a maxed overclocked gtx 680 anyday.Plus the 7950 comes with 3 gb vram plus 384 bit memory bus.660 ti is a good card but the 7950 is cheaper and just plain better.I mean were kinda splitting hairs here until you max out aa then there really is no contest here
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 11:41:37 AM

vsdagama said:
Finally a breakthrough!

I compared the HIS Radeon HD 7950 HIS IceQ X2 and the MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming by 2 extensive reviews on guru3d.com.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7950_x_...
and
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_ms...

In those reviews, the 7950 and 760 have almost identical temperature and noise results idle and at full load, which are excellent by the way! :) 

Furthermore, the 7950 beats the 760 in almost any game at 1080p and when you raise the resolution, the difference becomes even bigger!

This made me decide the 7950 by HIS to be the winner in this case, being slightly better at 1080p and more futureproof. Both are around thesame price point where I live so that makes the circle round.

Did I come to a right conclusion? Or am I overlooking something here?


Are you sure we're looking at the same two reviews?

The only game where the HIS 7950 beats the MSI 760 is Hitman Absolution, a notoriously AMD-favoring game. In the other games common to both reviews, it's either a tie or a win for the GTX 760.


If you want more side-by-side comparisons, here are both cards reviewed at TechPowerUp:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_760_...

In this review:

- The MSI 760 Gaming comes in much, much quieter than the HIS 7950, 27 dBA vs. 39 dBA.

- The HIS card was also found to be surprisingly noisy at idle, 33 dBA, even noisier than the reference 7950 at idle.

- The HIS card uses an all-reference PCB and components, while the MSI 760 Gaming uses all custom upgraded "Military Class IV" components.

- The GTX 760 posts significant (>5 FPS) wins in: BF3, Borderlands 2, and Sleeping Dogs. There is no game where the 7950 posts a win.

"MSI's card is by far the quietest during gaming. With just 27 dBA, it is quieter than most other cards on the market in idle while still packing a serious gaming punch. Any gamer who's looking for the lowest possible noise at 1080p full HD will certainly enjoy the GTX 760 GAMING."

"The HIS HD 7950 X² IceQ Boost uses the AMD reference PCB, although it's colored blue and comes with a large dual-fan cooler....Unfortunately, noise levels are not ideal. I see plenty of headroom for additional noise reductions, especially in idle."
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 12:50:31 PM

17seconds said:
vsdagama said:
Finally a breakthrough!

I compared the HIS Radeon HD 7950 HIS IceQ X2 and the MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming by 2 extensive reviews on guru3d.com.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7950_x_...
and
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_ms...

In those reviews, the 7950 and 760 have almost identical temperature and noise results idle and at full load, which are excellent by the way! :) 

Furthermore, the 7950 beats the 760 in almost any game at 1080p and when you raise the resolution, the difference becomes even bigger!

This made me decide the 7950 by HIS to be the winner in this case, being slightly better at 1080p and more futureproof. Both are around thesame price point where I live so that makes the circle round.

Did I come to a right conclusion? Or am I overlooking something here?


Are you sure we're looking at the same two reviews?

The only game where the HIS 7950 beats the MSI 760 is Hitman Absolution, a notoriously AMD-favoring game. In the other games common to both reviews, it's either a tie or a win for the GTX 760.


If you want more side-by-side comparisons, here are both cards reviewed at TechPowerUp:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_760_...

In this review:

- The MSI 760 Gaming comes in much, much quieter than the HIS 7950, 27 dBA vs. 39 dBA.

- The HIS card was also found to be surprisingly noisy at idle, 33 dBA, even noisier than the reference 7950 at idle.

- The HIS card uses an all-reference PCB and components, while the MSI 760 Gaming uses all custom upgraded "Military Class IV" components.

- The GTX 760 posts significant (>5 FPS) wins in: BF3, Borderlands 2, and Sleeping Dogs. There is no game where the 7950 posts a win.

"MSI's card is by far the quietest during gaming. With just 27 dBA, it is quieter than most other cards on the market in idle while still packing a serious gaming punch. Any gamer who's looking for the lowest possible noise at 1080p full HD will certainly enjoy the GTX 760 GAMING."

"The HIS HD 7950 X² IceQ Boost uses the AMD reference PCB, although it's colored blue and comes with a large dual-fan cooler....Unfortunately, noise levels are not ideal. I see plenty of headroom for additional noise reductions, especially in idle."


If you are an overclocker the 7950 will trounce a gtx 760 in any game if you do not overclock either card is fine.7950 is more future proof as well plus gives you the option to go 3 monitors if you decided to do that.7950 is just the better card if you take what ive said into consideration plus it overclocks much better then the 760
m
0
l
September 1, 2013 6:17:40 PM

17seconds said:

Are you sure we're looking at the same two reviews?

The only game where the HIS 7950 beats the MSI 760 is Hitman Absolution, a notoriously AMD-favoring game. In the other games common to both reviews, it's either a tie or a win for the GTX 760.


If you want more side-by-side comparisons, here are both cards reviewed at TechPowerUp:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_760_...

In this review:

- The MSI 760 Gaming comes in much, much quieter than the HIS 7950, 27 dBA vs. 39 dBA.

- The HIS card was also found to be surprisingly noisy at idle, 33 dBA, even noisier than the reference 7950 at idle.

- The HIS card uses an all-reference PCB and components, while the MSI 760 Gaming uses all custom upgraded "Military Class IV" components.

- The GTX 760 posts significant (>5 FPS) wins in: BF3, Borderlands 2, and Sleeping Dogs. There is no game where the 7950 posts a win.

"MSI's card is by far the quietest during gaming. With just 27 dBA, it is quieter than most other cards on the market in idle while still packing a serious gaming punch. Any gamer who's looking for the lowest possible noise at 1080p full HD will certainly enjoy the GTX 760 GAMING."

"The HIS HD 7950 X² IceQ Boost uses the AMD reference PCB, although it's colored blue and comes with a large dual-fan cooler....Unfortunately, noise levels are not ideal. I see plenty of headroom for additional noise reductions, especially in idle."


The 7950 review on guru3d uses the 2500x1600 graphic, while the 760 uses the 1920x1200, you have to look at the upper chart to compare the performance at any resolution, making the HIS a win.

Also, the reviews you posted get a win for the 7950 on Skyrim, didn't look at the other games.

I got convinced in favor of the HIS by this review (it's in dutch, I'm sorry) comparing it with many other cards on sound, temperature etc (http://be.hardware.info/reviews/4198/33/23-amd-radeon-h...)

This is a comparison chart between the 760 and some other 7950's including the HIS: http://be.hardware.info/vergelijkingstabel/producten/16...

baner711 said:

If you are an overclocker the 7950 will trounce a gtx 760 in any game if you do not overclock either card is fine.7950 is more future proof as well plus gives you the option to go 3 monitors if you decided to do that.7950 is just the better card if you take what ive said into consideration plus it overclocks much better then the 760


I will overclock the card as long as it stays under my sound limit. So that's why I need to know which one is better for example when we say 40db or something is the limit.
m
0
l
!