Solved

Asus p5q3 and Kingston RAM compatibility

Hello guys,

I'm having trouble with a kingston ram
(http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR13N9S8/4)

My setup is:
MB: Asus p5q3 Deluxo wi-fi/Ap-@n
Cpu: Intel core 2 quad q9550
Geforce video card.
asus xonar audio card.
and other irrelevant (i think) stuff

I used to run 2x1gb Corsair XMS3

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic/cmx2gx3m1a1333c9.html

When i try to boot the system with the Kingston 1x4gb ddr3 it simply won't start.

I press the power button and the system starts working but it stops there, no beeps, no reboots, no loading screens,a black screen is all there is.


tried all the slots and combination between Corsair and Kingston RAM. Nothing seems to work except when i put the kingston aside and start with my old 2x1gb Corsair ones...

Does not seem to be a compatibility problem since i checked all the manuals. Although this specific DIMM is not on the QVL the specs are all checked and it should work fine.

If somebody could help, i'd be very happy to listen to some advices.

(my bios is the latest one [2105 i think], and i've already cleared the cmos but it does no good)
Reply to Gabriel Macedo
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus p5q3 kingston ram compatibility
  1. May need to raise DRAM voltage to 1.55 and raise NB voltage about + 0.07
    Reply to Tradesman1
  2. Tradesman1 said:
    May need to raise DRAM voltage to 1.55 and raise NB voltage about + 0.07


    I set DRAM voltage to 1.56 as the bios only accepts +0.02 increments apparently.
    NB voltage was set to 1.18 (+0.08).
    Still no good, hardware and fans turn on, no beeps, only a black screen..
    any other ideas?

    btw, thanks for the time you took to help me!
    Reply to Gabriel Macedo
  3. Try resetting the CMOS and try with a single stick, while in BIOS confirm you have the latest version
    Reply to Tradesman1
  4. Tradesman1 said:
    Try resetting the CMOS and try with a single stick, while in BIOS confirm you have the latest version


    Cleared CMOS by removing the battery and cliping the jumpers.
    Inserted the 4gb kingston ram only.
    Still no good. To enter the bios to verify the version i had to remove the new ram e insert the old ones.
    Bios version is stated as 2105 (the last one according to the asus site)
    that version is from 2009.

    Also tried a solution i saw somewhere else:
    Set FBS strap to northbridge to 400mhz.
    Did not work....
    i guess i'm running out of solutions...
    Reply to Gabriel Macedo
  5. Have you tested the module in another system to make sure it isn't defective?
    Reply to GhislainG
  6. GhislainG said:
    Have you tested the module in another system to make sure it isn't defective?


    Yes, tested on my buddy´s mobo.
    Definitely not a defective stick.
    the problem isn´t either on the stick or the mobo slots, since other ram will work on all the slots.
    Reply to Gabriel Macedo
  7. Then one has to presume that it simply is incompatible, but you may be able to force the settings before installing it and then it should work.
    Reply to GhislainG
  8. Best answer
    Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. Our part KVR13N9S8/4 is not compatible with the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Back in 2008 we found that the P45 chipset is limited to 8GB max using DDR3 and can only achieve 16GB when using DDR2. There have been BIOS updates since then so it may be possible to use a 4GB DDR3 module but KVR13N9S8/4 is a Single Rank module which did not exist the last time the BIOS was updated in 2009. A Single Rank module uses only one 64-bit memory channel and the main issue when it comes to compatibility is that the DRAM chips on the module are larger and most likely not recognizable by the motherboard. You may be able to use part number KVR1333D3N9/4G which is Double Rank and uses the proper size 2Gbit DRAM chips that are compatible with this chipset. I cannot garuntee that this module will work but it is more likely than the part that you have currently. Officially, we supported configurations up to 8GB using Kingston's 1 and 2GB modules on the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Unfortunately, the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe is no longer supported as we no longer manufacture the capacity modules compatible with this system. For further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

    Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.
    Reply to kingstonhq
  9. kingstonhq said:
    Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. Our part KVR13N9S8/4 is not compatible with the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Back in 2008 we found that the P45 chipset is limited to 8GB max using DDR3 and can only achieve 16GB when using DDR2. There have been BIOS updates since then so it may be possible to use a 4GB DDR3 module but KVR13N9S8/4 is a Single Rank module which did not exist the last time the BIOS was updated in 2009. A Single Rank module uses only one 64-bit memory channel and the main issue when it comes to compatibility is that the DRAM chips on the module are larger and most likely not recognizable by the motherboard. You may be able to use part number KVR1333D3N9/4G which is Double Rank and uses the proper size 2Gbit DRAM chips that are compatible with this chipset. I cannot garuntee that this module will work but it is more likely than the part that you have currently. Officially, we supported configurations up to 8GB using Kingston's 1 and 2GB modules on the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Unfortunately, the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe is no longer supported as we no longer manufacture the capacity modules compatible with this system. For further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

    Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.


    Wow! that tech support!
    I really appreciate your help, that solved the question.
    Kingston seems to be way ahead in terms of support and consumer awareness. Congrats!
    Reply to Gabriel Macedo
  10. kingstonhq said:
    Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer our assistance. Our part KVR13N9S8/4 is not compatible with the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Back in 2008 we found that the P45 chipset is limited to 8GB max using DDR3 and can only achieve 16GB when using DDR2. There have been BIOS updates since then so it may be possible to use a 4GB DDR3 module but KVR13N9S8/4 is a Single Rank module which did not exist the last time the BIOS was updated in 2009. A Single Rank module uses only one 64-bit memory channel and the main issue when it comes to compatibility is that the DRAM chips on the module are larger and most likely not recognizable by the motherboard. You may be able to use part number KVR1333D3N9/4G which is Double Rank and uses the proper size 2Gbit DRAM chips that are compatible with this chipset. I cannot garuntee that this module will work but it is more likely than the part that you have currently. Officially, we supported configurations up to 8GB using Kingston's 1 and 2GB modules on the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe motherboard. Unfortunately, the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe is no longer supported as we no longer manufacture the capacity modules compatible with this system. For further assistance, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you. Please be sure to have the part in question on hand when you call.

    Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.


    dear kingston hq i have the same problem with my p5q3 and tha KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX dual channel ram i purchased..can i somehow make it work?? thanks
    Reply to kirmix
  11. that right,you may be able to force the settings before installing it and then it should work. thanks
    Reply to laizhaomade
  12. dear kingston hq i have the same problem with my p5q3 and tha KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX dual channel ram i purchased..can i somehow make it work?? thanks

    I have the same problem.. how and what to set in BIOS ?
    Reply to Melcos
  13. Melcos said:

    dear kingston hq i have the same problem with my p5q3 and tha KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX dual channel ram i purchased..can i somehow make it work?? thanks


    I have the same problem.. how and what to set in BIOS ?

    I still have the same problem, did anyone find a solution ?
    Reply to Salis
  14. Hello, I know it has been a while, but, could you tell me if you made your motherboard work with 4GB modules? And if so, could you tell me model of those modules, thanks in advance!
    Reply to artyor
  15. Hi
    I have an Asus P5Q3 deluxe and finding modern compatible RAM has been difficult.
    No manner of adjustment allowed me to run recent GSkill or Kingston (HyperX) 2 or 4GB modules.
    However, with the help of Crucial's online compatibility checker software (http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner) I am now successfully running 16GB DDR3.
    This is made up of 4 x 4GB modules (2 matched pairs) of Micron Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600. Full details are:
    model BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0; 1600 MHz PC3-12800CL8 1.5v UDIMM w/XMP; CAS CL8-8-8-24; 240 Pins; Non-ECC; unbuffered.
    This runs at 1333 MHz, CAS 9.9.9.24.2T with BIOS on auto settings.
    You can get 1600MHz if you ONLY install 2 x 4GB modules in the orange slots and set:
    - DRAM frequency 1601 MHz; CAS 8, 8, 8, 24 DRAM voltage 1.5V; with rest left at auto.
    On balance I found it worked better with 16GB at 1333MHz than 8GB at 1600MHz.
    Reply to bluemycologist
  16. bluemycologist said:
    Hi
    I have an Asus P5Q3 deluxe and finding modern compatible RAM has been difficult.
    No manner of adjustment allowed me to run recent GSkill or Kingston (HyperX) 2 or 4GB modules.
    However, with the help of Crucial's online compatibility checker software (http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner) I am now successfully running 16GB DDR3.
    This is made up of 4 x 4GB modules (2 matched pairs) of Micron Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600. Full details are:
    model BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0; 1600 MHz PC3-12800CL8 1.5v UDIMM w/XMP; CAS CL8-8-8-24; 240 Pins; Non-ECC; unbuffered.
    This runs at 1333 MHz, CAS 9.9.9.24.2T with BIOS on auto settings.
    You can get 1600MHz if you ONLY install 2 x 4GB modules in the orange slots and set:
    - DRAM frequency 1601 MHz; CAS 8, 8, 8, 24 DRAM voltage 1.5V; with rest left at auto.
    On balance I found it worked better with 16GB at 1333MHz than 8GB at 1600MHz.


    Just ordered GY1866D364L9A/4G, 2x4 GB after talking to a expert at Goodram. Will report back if it works fine. I have my xeon E5450 set to FSB 456 (4.12 GHz), so the ram will be going at 1825 MHz. Planning to buy two additional modules later. Will I need to go down to 1333 when using 16GB?

    One thing that determines if 4GB sticks work with ASUS P5Q3 is it needs to be dual rank. All new RAM is single rank. So I ordered this older model, which is not manufactured anymore.
    Reply to TucoPacifico1980
  17. TucoPacifico1980 said:
    bluemycologist said:
    Hi
    I have an Asus P5Q3 deluxe and finding modern compatible RAM has been difficult.
    No manner of adjustment allowed me to run recent GSkill or Kingston (HyperX) 2 or 4GB modules.
    However, with the help of Crucial's online compatibility checker software (http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner) I am now successfully running 16GB DDR3.
    This is made up of 4 x 4GB modules (2 matched pairs) of Micron Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600. Full details are:
    model BLT2CP4G3D1608DT1TX0; 1600 MHz PC3-12800CL8 1.5v UDIMM w/XMP; CAS CL8-8-8-24; 240 Pins; Non-ECC; unbuffered.
    This runs at 1333 MHz, CAS 9.9.9.24.2T with BIOS on auto settings.
    You can get 1600MHz if you ONLY install 2 x 4GB modules in the orange slots and set:
    - DRAM frequency 1601 MHz; CAS 8, 8, 8, 24 DRAM voltage 1.5V; with rest left at auto.
    On balance I found it worked better with 16GB at 1333MHz than 8GB at 1600MHz.


    Just ordered GY1866D364L9A/4G, 2x4 GB after talking to a expert at Goodram. Will report back if it works fine. I have my xeon E5450 set to FSB 456 (4.12 GHz), so the ram will be going at 1825 MHz. Planning to buy two additional modules later. Will I need to go down to 1333 when using 16GB?

    One thing that determines if 4GB sticks work with ASUS P5Q3 is it needs to be dual rank. All new RAM is single rank. So I ordered this older model, which is not manufactured anymore.



    After installing, not working. Cleared CMOS, not working, only single module, not working. Sadly need to return the ram.
    Reply to TucoPacifico1980
  18. You need an older model that is made with low density memory chips, look at the GSkill NT series of value DRAM. Also Mixing DRAM from different packages offers no guarantees of even playing together, best to get all in a single package
    Reply to Tradesman1
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Memory Kingston RAM p5q3 Corsair Asus Compatibility