Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First PC Build: Are my Parts Compatible?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 31, 2013 4:35:42 PM

*Update 1: 8:00 PM EST
*Update 2: 9:28 PM EST
*Update 3: 10:21 PM EST
*Update 4: 9:36 PM EST (9/4)
*Update 5: 8:08 PM EST (9/5)

Hi Tom's Hardware! I'm building my first gaming PC and I have selected the parts. This PC would normally be used to play games such as Minecraft, In-browser games, and other games on Steam. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the parts are compatible? I'm anxious to start the build! Here are the parts:

UPDATED2 Case: http://www.costcaptain.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=DX_Z9&gclid=CPnfobn4qLkCFUOd4Aod-wIApA

UPDATED Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817207013&gclid=CLWDhYDwqLkCFUmk4AodrTQAxw


UPDATED4 Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


UPDATED2 Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

UPDATED5 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

UPDATED4 Hard Drive: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

UPDATED4 Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you SO much for taking the time to read, and answer my inquiry. Also, if you have any suggestions, let me know!

Thanks,
Aaron

More about : build parts compatible

Best solution

a c 79 ) Power supply
August 31, 2013 4:40:40 PM

The PSu is trash. Needs to be Antec, XFX, COrsair, Seasonic.

the GPU is so weak it will barely play an hd video. No gaming at all will happen with this. You should spend 2x the CPU price on the GPU.

WAYYY too much CPU. Get an i5 at MOST. Bu you should get an fx6300 on this budget.

Motherboard will not fit in the case and is stupid overkill.

too much RAm 8gb is plenty for gaming.

Share
August 31, 2013 5:01:25 PM

tiny voices said:
The PSu is trash. Needs to be Antec, XFX, COrsair, Seasonic.

the GPU is so weak it will barely play an hd video. No gaming at all will happen with this. You should spend 2x the CPU price on the GPU.

WAYYY too much CPU. Get an i5 at MOST. Bu you should get an fx6300 on this budget.

Motherboard will not fit in the case and is stupid overkill.

too much RAm 8gb is plenty for gaming.



Hi Tiny Voices. Thanks for your words of wisdom! I have updated the things you suggestion. Please review them if you can. Also, Do you know what kind of case would fit the Motherboard? I would like to keep this motherboard. Also, is there an affordable Video Card you reccomend?

Thanks,
Aaron
m
0
l
Related resources
August 31, 2013 5:12:09 PM

energezer said:
tiny voices said:
The PSu is trash. Needs to be Antec, XFX, COrsair, Seasonic.

the GPU is so weak it will barely play an hd video. No gaming at all will happen with this. You should spend 2x the CPU price on the GPU.

WAYYY too much CPU. Get an i5 at MOST. Bu you should get an fx6300 on this budget.

Motherboard will not fit in the case and is stupid overkill.

too much RAm 8gb is plenty for gaming.



Hi Tiny Voices. Thanks for your words of wisdom! I have updated the things you suggestion. Please review them if you can. Also, Do you know what kind of case would fit the Motherboard? I would like to keep this motherboard. Also, is there an affordable Video Card you reccomend?

Thanks,
Aaron


That motherboard uses the "ATX" form factor, but the case only supports "Micro-ATX" and "Mini-ITX". Click here for a list of all compatible cases on Newegg.com.

I would recommend a GTX 760 graphics card if you can afford it.
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
August 31, 2013 5:13:33 PM

Your CPU and motherboard do not work together. You need an am3+ board for that CPU.

Your GPU will still only play games at lowest settings. Don't forget that gaming is 80% GPU power and 20% CPU power.

For an ATX motherboard you need an ATX mid tower case. not microATX.

Your RAM is stupid overpriced if it is 94 dollars. For $60 or less you can get 8gb RAM.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 6:33:50 PM

tiny voices said:
Your CPU and motherboard do not work together. You need an am3+ board for that CPU.

Your GPU will still only play games at lowest settings. Don't forget that gaming is 80% GPU power and 20% CPU power.

For an ATX motherboard you need an ATX mid tower case. not microATX.

Your RAM is stupid overpriced if it is 94 dollars. For $60 or less you can get 8gb RAM.


Check it now! I think I fixed everything... Make sure everything is compatible?

Thanks,
Aaron
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
August 31, 2013 6:40:35 PM

Get a WAY cheaper motherboard. Something like $85. use the rest on a better GPu. That gt640 will only play at lowest possible settings. It is not meant for gaming.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 6:43:19 PM

tiny voices said:
Get a WAY cheaper motherboard. Something like $85. use the rest on a better GPu. That gt640 will only play at lowest possible settings. It is not meant for gaming.


Can you recommend a GPU to me?
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
August 31, 2013 6:51:34 PM

medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 7:03:28 PM

tiny voices said:
medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.


Will this one be okay for my gaming purpose? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 7:24:55 PM

tiny voices said:
medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.


Also Updated the Motherboard. Please check it out.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 7:34:50 PM

energezer said:
tiny voices said:
medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.


Will this one be okay for my gaming purpose? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Yes, that would work, but this one is a better deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has twice the memory, a better cooler, better reviews, and has the same offer for 2 free games.
m
0
l
August 31, 2013 7:39:37 PM

energezer said:
tiny voices said:
medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.


Also Updated the Motherboard. Please check it out.



That won't work., sorry. The CPU is socket "AM3+", but the motherboard uses the older "AM3" socket. You will need a newer motherboard with an "AM3+" socket to use that CPU.
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
September 1, 2013 5:36:39 AM

flyoffacliff said:
energezer said:
tiny voices said:
medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.


Also Updated the Motherboard. Please check it out.



That won't work., sorry. The CPU is socket "AM3+", but the motherboard uses the older "AM3" socket. You will need a newer motherboard with an "AM3+" socket to use that CPU.


This is exactly correct.
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 6:39:56 PM

tiny voices said:
flyoffacliff said:
energezer said:
tiny voices said:
medium settings: gtx650ti or hd7770.

medium/high settings: hd7850/ gtx 650ti BOOST

mostly high settings and some max: gtx660/hd7870

max settings: gtx760/hd7950

max settings for a long time: gtx770/ hd7970.


Also Updated the Motherboard. Please check it out.



That won't work., sorry. The CPU is socket "AM3+", but the motherboard uses the older "AM3" socket. You will need a newer motherboard with an "AM3+" socket to use that CPU.


This is exactly correct.


Sorry for the delay. Updated the MOBO, got cheaper RAM, downgraded the hard drive, and updated the Video Card. Please review! (I may just have it right this time...)

Thanks,
Aaron
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
September 4, 2013 7:18:56 PM

Everything looks good. the RAM could be better. You want 2x4gb kit and 1600mhz.
m
0
l
September 5, 2013 5:15:32 PM

tiny voices said:
Everything looks good. the RAM could be better. You want 2x4gb kit and 1600mhz.


Updated the RAM. Are you sure the motherboard will fit in the case? What do I need for mounting?
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
September 5, 2013 9:57:31 PM

Everything will fit no problem. The case will come with all the mounting hardware you need. Everything looks good to go.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 8:14:43 AM

tiny voices said:
Everything will fit no problem. The case will come with all the mounting hardware you need. Everything looks good to go.


Just a quick last minute question before I start to buy parts-
What CPU would be better? Although the 6300 has a cooling device, would it be worth it to get the 6350 for the 3.9GHz? Or should I just get the 6300 and overclock it?

AMD FX-6300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD FX-6350: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks!
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
October 13, 2013 8:16:36 AM

Either one is fine. You will need an aftermarket cooler like a coolermaster hyper 212 evo if you want to overclock either.
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
October 13, 2013 8:41:29 AM

That is a CPU cooler, not a PSU. But yes it will be fine for overclocking.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 8:45:16 AM

tiny voices said:
That is a CPU cooler, not a PSU. But yes it will be fine for overclocking.


Buying the CPU now.. Thank you so much for your help.
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
October 13, 2013 8:49:04 AM

No problem! Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
m
0
l
a c 79 ) Power supply
October 13, 2013 1:46:28 PM

Yes, that is a perfectly fine case.

The fans are LED fans not the case. The case has no LEDs. Just the fans.
m
0
l
!