i7 4770 problem

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
I have just recently bought a new PC with i7 4770 and the idle temperature, checked with Speccy, is around 48C. Under a medium load it easily goes up to 60C. I just got off the phone with Intel support. They asked me to use their diagnostic system, and the interesting part is that after running the check it said the temp was 28C below maximum (max being 72C), while Speccy has shown the following: Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz 90 °C Haswell 22nm Technology. The test was repeated again this time using core temp widget to monitor the temp independently and Intel's diagnostic tool said again 28 below max, while Core temp shown over 90 on all 4 cores simultaneously.

Can someone make any sense of this all?
I should mention, I'm using stock cooler and have 3 case fans set to standard speed.

Solution
You will probably never see the cpu throttle though. Honestly in a dozen years of PC building (I actually own a small workstation PC company too), I have never heard of Speccy. I have used pretty much everything else and now use Core Temp to watch temps and Speedfan to control fans. My rigs have to be able to handle full load 24/7. Company supplied software is never very good (motherboard manufacturers) or as good as what enthusiasts cook up for the community for free. If your load temps (all cores/threads) hit 90C then you don't have enough case airflow or cpu heatsink. My recommendation, the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu heatsink. It goes in every workstation I build and they run stock clocked Xeons (it will handle overclocks...
I recommend using Core Temp. It is the most accurate temp software I have ever used. Do that first. Yes, the chips run hot when loaded, but with the correct fan pressure and locations, you should be getting lower temps. My guess is there is insufficient case airflow. Tjunction max temp is 100C. Above 90C and you will get throttling. I tried an Intel cooler for giggles and in my FT03 Mini, performance was very poor. A cheap CoolerMaster h2o AIO and temps never go above 60C and it has been Folding@Home for nearly a month 24/7 (and will run at 4.5ghz). If you don't want to spring for better case fans or increase the noise, get a better heatsink. I always recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. Great value and spending more than that is just not worth it unless you get into some serious water cooling.

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013

Thanks for the reply Maestro.
The case I am using is Gigabyte GZ-G2 Gaming Case Plus.The PC was custom build and I was advised by the company that put it together for me that no extra cooling would be required as there is a good airflow in the case (I asked about extra liquid cooling). I rang them about this and they said that as long as I don't get any warnings I should not worry and 3rd party software isn't accurate anyway and I only should trust the temperatures shown in BIOS (never told me how should I check the temp in BIOS under full load though!) and were generally not helpful. Core Temp is the second software I used, and as I said it's shown around 95 on all cores at some point. If it's actually the case of changing the Cooler I will have to pay someone to do that for me as I have never really played with the hardware side of things and I wouldn't know how to do that, don't want to experiment on a PC I've spent my monthly salary on.
I was also wondering, in BIOS you can set the speed of fans, including CPU fan, but isn;t it something that in 4th gen processors is done automatically depending on the temperature?

Also, what do you think causes the difference between Core Temp and Speccy reading vs Intel's diagnostic tool reading? I mean one gives over 95C the other one says it runs 28C below the max?!

Thanks for all your help and I do apologize if my questions sound like 'how do I use a hammer'? to you.

You will probably never see the cpu throttle though. Honestly in a dozen years of PC building (I actually own a small workstation PC company too), I have never heard of Speccy. I have used pretty much everything else and now use Core Temp to watch temps and Speedfan to control fans. My rigs have to be able to handle full load 24/7. Company supplied software is never very good (motherboard manufacturers) or as good as what enthusiasts cook up for the community for free. If your load temps (all cores/threads) hit 90C then you don't have enough case airflow or cpu heatsink. My recommendation, the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu heatsink. It goes in every workstation I build and they run stock clocked Xeons (it will handle overclocks over 4ghz too no problem). It can run very quietly and keep your load temps under 75C. The only other solution is new, faster, louder case fans. I vote for the EVO.

Solution

metallfan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013

Thanks Maestro. The new cooling is on it's way as we speak!

Also, if anyone finds this post having the same problem, that's the email I received from intel regarding this query:

Thank you for contacting Intel® Customer Support.
The temperature reading that is provided by Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool at the end of the test is an average which the processor achieves throughout the testing occurs, not the core(s) temperaure.
It's normal that the cores reach 95 °C during the test because it's designed to stress test them; the processor won't start throttling the performance until the average temperature between cores reaches 100 °C.
The maximum temperature measurement of 72.72 °C as stated for this processor is called TCASE and isn't measured in the cores but is the theoretical temperature on top of the heatspreader of the processor.
You can read more in detail about processor operation temperatures via the FAQ article on our website and the datasheet for the processor:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-033342.htm
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html
Hopefully this provides answers to your concerns.
Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards,
========
Intel Customer Support

TRENDING THREADS