Will my FX-6300 @4.5GHz bottleneck a 7950 CrossFire? And if yes, could I increase my overvolt (for overclock).

sWedx

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hi everyone :)
First thing first, this is my config:

AMD FX-6300 @4.5GHz
8GB RAM 1333MHz DC (2x4)
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (rev. 3.0)
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 @1100/1450MHz
OCZ ZT750W (+12VDC @ 62A)

So, i'm thinking to do a 7950 Crossfire, but i wonder if my FX-6300 @4.5GHz will not bottleneck it.
Yes, I know I'll run it at x16/x4 and i'll lose some performance (for me isn't a problem). The power supply isn't a problem either. I intend to run the GPUs at stock.

Well, I was testing the performance of my processor and i get worried about this bottleneck when I saw that in the Crysis 3, my CPU are running at about +90% ("Welcome to the jungle" mission) with 35~40 FPS. Even if i reduce the graphics quality ("very high" to "very low"), i don't got many frames. Only about plus 5~10. And i also saw that the GPU usage does not pass above 60%.

But it only happens on Crysis 3. At games like BF3, FarCry 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Tomb Raider (2013) and other at Ultra Settings the CPU does not goes above 60% and the GPU reaches 100%.

And another question. If it will bottleneck, can i overclock more my CPU? Unfortunately i got a bad chip. To get 4.5GHz i need to increase the voltage to 1.55, below that, it becomes unstable. Temperature isn't a problem here, i'm only worried in increase too much the voltage and damage the CPU.

ps: sorry for my english :D

Solution
In my opinion, neither.
Yes, the FX 8350/FX 8320 will improve your PC's gaming performance especially in Crysis 3, and yes a new motherboard will allow you to reach a higher frequency, but the difference really won't be that big.

Your motherboard is not damaged. It is just not meant to be used for enthusiast level overclocking. Or overclocking at all.
You should check if your CPU is throttling as I'm very sceptical that your motherboard can keep up with a chip using 1.55V.

In my opinion you should wait for AMD's streamroller to come out and if these CPU's turn out to be more efficient than Piledriver, pick one up.

Also, your CPU is far faster than the ones used in the next generation consoles, so don't worry that you're seeing...

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
It seems as if you've already hit a bottleneck with one card, but that's to be expected.
Crysis 3 is a very CPU demanding game.

The quiestion I would like to ask you is do you really need more performance?
If you're already playing every new game out there on Ultra settings, what is there left to gain?

Oh and about your overclock. It's your motherboard. Not your CPU.

kojak53

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
fx6300 will bottleneck 2x7950 in some games like civilization V and crysis 3(they need a better cpu) but in other games like dirt3 and Sleeping Dogs will do just fine in 1440p

sWedx

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Oh yes, i forgot to mention that: I'll only make that CrossFire next year. Why? Well, i'm running games from this generation at ultra with 30~60 FPS. And when i saw the graphics quality for the next gen I figured I could not run these graphics on ultra with good frames (30+ for me is well.)

fx6300 will bottleneck 2x7950 in some games like civilization V and crysis 3(they need a better cpu) but in other games like dirt3 and Sleeping Dogs will do just fine in 1440p

Hmm, got it. Well, specifically my resolution are 1840x1032. I like more shooters and Action games. And this is the first time I saw a shooter use too much CPU.

And someone knows if i'm able to run most of games of next gen on ultra settings with this configuration?
If I do the crossfire, it will bottleneck on next gen games like it does at Crysis 3?
About the overclock. It's because my MB isn't good for overclocks or maybe it's damaged?
And if there's no way with this configs, what was supposed to do? New MOBO (for more overclock and maybe 2xPCI-E x8/x8) or New CPU? (Maybe FX-8350)

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
In my opinion, neither.
Yes, the FX 8350/FX 8320 will improve your PC's gaming performance especially in Crysis 3, and yes a new motherboard will allow you to reach a higher frequency, but the difference really won't be that big.

Your motherboard is not damaged. It is just not meant to be used for enthusiast level overclocking. Or overclocking at all.
You should check if your CPU is throttling as I'm very sceptical that your motherboard can keep up with a chip using 1.55V.

In my opinion you should wait for AMD's streamroller to come out and if these CPU's turn out to be more efficient than Piledriver, pick one up.

Also, your CPU is far faster than the ones used in the next generation consoles, so don't worry that you're seeing bottlenecks in Crysis.

Solution

sWedx

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013

Well, so i'll do that... infuture, when i upgrade i'll pick up a better motherboard and wait the streamroller's.

Also, your CPU is far faster than the ones used in the next generation consoles, so don't worry that you're seeing bottlenecks in Crysis.

This is very comfortable :D

There has a way to check that? The mobo boot is alright, and when i check the voltage on CPU-Z it hits the 1.55 when stressed