Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

The $1800 AMD Overkill Gaming PC (Codename Katana)

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 2, 2013 7:54:35 AM

I was thinking of many combinations ranging from 1500$ to 3800$. Finally I thought that I should rather make an ultimate AMD gaming PC. So, this is a $1800 PC. How is this build? And any improvements?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($649.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1756.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 10:51 EDT-0400)
September 2, 2013 8:09:33 AM

im sorry but its dumb to go with amd with this budget. you will regret it. for this budgeti would reccomend a i7. and you say amd build and you go with a nvidia ????????. doesnt make sence.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($666.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($666.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $2707.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 11:06 EDT-0400)

okay you can remove 1 ssd and 1 7990 and you are 2 1800.
but do you realize this has 4! hd 7970`s?? it will outperform everything you throw at it.
and i got a decent cooler cuz amd proccesors get real hot.
and i really think you shouldn`t fanboy about amd and just buy what`s the best for this budget
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 2, 2013 8:18:10 AM

Buy a bigger ssd. You will run out of room fast on 128.

I would stick with 1866 ram. It should be cheaper and there is no real added benefit of going faster than that since 1866 is native for fx. They trade off higher latency for higher throughput and you end up with the same speed.

Wait a few more weeks for the amd 9xxx series gpu's to arrive. They will crush the gtx 780.
Share
September 2, 2013 10:07:05 AM

I like the idea of the build, get a better cooler and a bigger SSD.

If it were me I would look at an intel setup but I do understand what you are going for so try this cooler instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it review well, for a BIG overclock on the 8350 the cm212 is a little lacking there are quite a few better than I suggested but this one offers good cooling and is pretty decent cooler.
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 10:24:11 AM

dont get nvidia
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 10:31:20 AM

For your budget you'd have to be crazy not to go with an intel build. I'm not saying this because I am a fan of intel or anything, but because for your budget an intel build will have a lot better performance. This build should run every game maxed, with no lag what so ever.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($190.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($100.47 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($88.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($269.00 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($269.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($57.01 @ DirectCanada)
Other: NZXT CB-LED20-RD 2-Metres Light Sensitivity Sleeved LED Kit (Red) ($17.64)
Total: $1646.62
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 13:30 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 10:42:45 AM

As others have stated, you can get a really good intel build at this price.
However, if you want to stick with the AMD based theme, then that's fine as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($649.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1810.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 13:41 EDT-0400)

By reducing the RAM to 1600mhz speed, you are able to fit in a much better cpu cooler and a larger SSD.
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:17:38 AM

if its amd why nvidia??
and never go sli
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:26:53 AM

Because, an HD7990 faces stuttering problem. I don't want that in it. One HD7970 is too less and 2 HD7970 is too much. So, I chose GTX780.
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:33:37 AM

cpu+gpu watercooling build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($152.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($613.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)

Other: xspc raystorm 750 ex240 ($149.00)
Other: XSPC Razor GTX 780 Full Coverage VGA Block ($122.00)
[[>>>frozencpu.com<<<]]

>>>>>>>>>>>>Total: $1995.92


i know 2x4gb memory is plenty, choosed platinum and maximus hero because of aesthetics

for 310$ you can get a 1440p monitor
http://www.amazon.com/QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-LED-Monitor...

might consider the case corsair 900D or cases from caselabs.
or nzxt 530, nzxt 810 , or silverstone TJ07B/-TJ11B-W
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:50:46 AM

nmakes said:
Because, an HD7990 faces stuttering problem. I don't want that in it. One HD7970 is too less and 2 HD7970 is too much. So, I chose GTX780.


The stutter problem was fixed with the new beta drivers
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:55:13 AM

Orionator said:
im sorry but its dumb to go with amd with this budget. you will regret it. for this budgeti would reccomend a i7. and you say amd build and you go with a nvidia ????????. doesnt make sence.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($666.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($666.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $2707.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 11:06 EDT-0400)

okay you can remove 1 ssd and 1 7990 and you are 2 1800.
but do you realize this has 4! hd 7970`s?? it will outperform everything you throw at it.
and i got a decent cooler cuz amd proccesors get real hot.
and i really think you shouldn`t fanboy about amd and just buy what`s the best for this budget


I'll definitely agree that it's not a good idea to go with AMD at this budget, but it's also not necessary to purchase an i7 or 16GB of RAM (and 2133 isn't needed if you're not using the onboard graphics), and that 1250W PSU for a single card solution is way overkill. The 7990 is also prone to driver issues relating to Crossfired cards as it's essentially a dual GPU on one card solution. I hear they're fixed with the beta version but again it's a beta version.

I would do this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Gunmetal) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($197.04 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $2024.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-03 13:55 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 11:22:56 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Orionator said:
im sorry but its dumb to go with amd with this budget. you will regret it. for this budgeti would reccomend a i7. and you say amd build and you go with a nvidia ????????. doesnt make sence.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1z4yc/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($193.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($666.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($666.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 1250W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $2707.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 11:06 EDT-0400)

okay you can remove 1 ssd and 1 7990 and you are 2 1800.
but do you realize this has 4! hd 7970`s?? it will outperform everything you throw at it.
and i got a decent cooler cuz amd proccesors get real hot.
and i really think you shouldn`t fanboy about amd and just buy what`s the best for this budget


I'll definitely agree that it's not a good idea to go with AMD at this budget, but it's also not necessary to purchase an i7 or 16GB of RAM (and 2133 isn't needed if you're not using the onboard graphics), and that 1250W PSU for a single card solution is way overkill. The 7990 is also prone to driver issues relating to Crossfired cards as it's essentially a dual GPU on one card solution. I hear they're fixed with the beta version but again it's a beta version.

I would do this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 630 (Gunmetal) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($197.04 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $2024.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-03 13:55 EDT-0400)


For your build cheaper PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And even better price on here: http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/latest/index-landi...

Rosewill
1000W
Rosewill LIGHTNING-1000 1000W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply
Rosewill LIGHTNING-1000 1000W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply
$219.99
Your Price: $144.99
With Promo Code
EMCXLXT44
$119.99 After $25.00 MIR

And better buy bigger 256GB SSD http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-driv...

And custom water loop is so much better than that cooler. my suggestion is build you own better cooler.
Good pump , cpu block and rad is not so expensive. Res is good to have too. And some tube and fittings.


m
0
l
!