5870 HD upgrade

Jailbreak1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Hi,

Been thinking recently about upgrading RAM & Cpu (fx 8350, +8gb ram) but as my main interest is gaming, I've now been told that upgrading my GPU is probably the best option.

I currently have:

Phenom 955 3.2Ghz quad
4GB 1600MHZ DDR3
MSI R5870

Would a GPU upgrade be the best choice?
If so, is now a good time to upgrade as I hear the next AMD GPU series may be announced soon?

I've been looking at a few comparisons, one that stood out to me was the high end gpu chart from this site:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

The Titan vastly outperforms anything else there but is obviously far more expensive, would the next generation of GPUs be close to that performance or is this card simply a one-off O.T.T card?

If not - would the 7950HD be a significant upgrade? it currently sells in the UK for around £200 while the 7970 starts at £300.

Solution
Yes, you'd benefit from a video card upgrade a bit more than a CPU upgrade for gaming at this point, the 7950 is a good choice. I recommend grabbing a decent aftermarket cooler ($30) and giving your CPU a mild-to-moderate overclock to match the card (~3.5ghz)

Even if you don't want to overclock your CPU, the 7950 is still close to balanced. The titan (or GTX 780), however, would be held back by the CPU.

There won't be any real new desktop GPU's from AMD this year - the 8000 series will be a re-branding of the 7000 cards.
Yes, you'd benefit from a video card upgrade a bit more than a CPU upgrade for gaming at this point, the 7950 is a good choice. I recommend grabbing a decent aftermarket cooler ($30) and giving your CPU a mild-to-moderate overclock to match the card (~3.5ghz)

Even if you don't want to overclock your CPU, the 7950 is still close to balanced. The titan (or GTX 780), however, would be held back by the CPU.

There won't be any real new desktop GPU's from AMD this year - the 8000 series will be a re-branding of the 7000 cards.

Solution

Jailbreak1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm now thinking I'll leave it a week before buying and checking if the 8350 gets a price drop (has been £50 lower than current price last month), if not, I'll just grab the GPU for now.
Thanks again