Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

128Gb Samsung 840 Pro Series vs. 240Gb Mushkin Chronos Deluxe?

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 2, 2013 2:26:05 PM

Hi all,

I have just been looking at two SDD's for my first build,

This SSD will be my primary hard drive for my operating system, and programs (microsoft, games, etc)

I am not asking for anyone to comment on the capacity of the drive, this is a very small factor for my choice.
All I care about for my primary drive, is speed... as I will have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for storage...

On a article on tomshardware, It shows you can get;
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-recommendation-benchm...

128Gb Samsung 840 Pro
530Mb/s (Read)
390Mb/s (Write)
for ~£100.00 GBP

or the;
240Gb Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
540Mb/s (Read)
520Mb/s (Write)
for ~£140.00 GBP

Which one is best?
I know by looking at the specs above, the Mushkin SSD beats the Samsung no questions asked...

But ive never heard of the Muskin drive before...

Anyone who can help me would man me one happy chap :) 
a c 88 G Storage
September 2, 2013 2:35:26 PM

Dayle McNeela said:
Hi all,

I have just been looking at two SDD's for my first build,

This SSD will be my primary hard drive for my operating system, and programs (microsoft, games, etc)

I am not asking for anyone to comment on the capacity of the drive, this is a very small factor for my choice.
All I care about for my primary drive, is speed... as I will have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for storage...

On a article on tomshardware, It shows you can get;
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-recommendation-benchm...

128Gb Samsung 840 Pro
530Mb/s (Read)
390Mb/s (Write)
for ~£100.00 GBP

or the;
240Gb Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
540Mb/s (Read)
520Mb/s (Write)
for ~£140.00 GBP

Which one is best?
I know by looking at the specs above, the Mushkin SSD beats the Samsung no questions asked...

But ive never heard of the Muskin drive before...

Anyone who can help me would man me one happy chap :) 


The Mushkin Chronos Deluxe series SSDs use the Sandforce 2281 SSD controller. It's a bit old, but it gets the job done. The real appeal of the Chronos Deluxe series SSDs is that they use Toshiba Toggle-mode Flash memory which is supposed to last a lot longer than ONFi flash used on many other SSDs.
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 2:38:49 PM

Pinhedd said:
Dayle McNeela said:
Hi all,

I have just been looking at two SDD's for my first build,

This SSD will be my primary hard drive for my operating system, and programs (microsoft, games, etc)

I am not asking for anyone to comment on the capacity of the drive, this is a very small factor for my choice.
All I care about for my primary drive, is speed... as I will have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for storage...

On a article on tomshardware, It shows you can get;
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-recommendation-benchm...

128Gb Samsung 840 Pro
530Mb/s (Read)
390Mb/s (Write)
for ~£100.00 GBP

or the;
240Gb Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
540Mb/s (Read)
520Mb/s (Write)
for ~£140.00 GBP

Which one is best?
I know by looking at the specs above, the Mushkin SSD beats the Samsung no questions asked...

But ive never heard of the Muskin drive before...

Anyone who can help me would man me one happy chap :) 


The Mushkin Chronos Deluxe series SSDs use the Sandforce 2281 SSD controller. It's a bit old, but it gets the job done. The real appeal of the Chronos Deluxe series SSDs is that they use Toshiba Toggle-mode Flash memory which is supposed to last a lot longer than ONFi flash used on many other SSDs.


Sooo... which is best?
Is it worth the extra £40 to get an extra 10Mb/s (read) and 130Mb/s (write)?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 797 G Storage
September 2, 2013 2:41:06 PM

Dayle McNeela said:

Is it worth the extra £40 to get an extra 10Mb/s (read) and 130Mb/s (write)?


In realworld use, you will never, ever notice that difference.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 2, 2013 2:43:57 PM

the samsung is better, it has better 4k read and writes and its access times are quicker.

the random data writes on it are slower than the samsung, only compressible data writes reach 500MB's
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 2:50:43 PM

mauller07 said:
the samsung is better, it has better 4k read and writes and its access times are quicker.

the random data writes on it are slower than the samsung, only compressible data writes reach 500MB's


What about the 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro vs. 256Gb SanDisk Ultra Plus...
If the speed's arent very different, please incorporate the capacity into your comparison...
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 2:52:47 PM

USAFRet said:
Dayle McNeela said:

Is it worth the extra £40 to get an extra 10Mb/s (read) and 130Mb/s (write)?


In realworld use, you will never, ever notice that difference.


What about the 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro vs. 256Gb SanDisk Ultra Plus...
If the speed's arent very different, please incorporate the capacity into your comparison...
m
0
l
a b G Storage
September 2, 2013 2:55:16 PM

if you wanted a decent drive a 256gb samsung 840 (not the pro) would do perfectly well, has good read, writes and reliability.
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 3:02:36 PM

mauller07 said:
if you wanted a decent drive a 256gb samsung 840 (not the pro) would do perfectly well, has good read, writes and reliability.


thats out of budget unfortunately,
what do you think of the sandisk?
m
0
l
September 2, 2013 3:25:23 PM



Samsung 830 SSD | Read 520MB/s (IOPS 80k) Write 400MB/s (IOPS 36k)

Samsung 840 SSD | Read 540MB/s (IOPS 96k) Write 250MB/s (IOPS 62k)

Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Read 540 MB/s (IOPS 100k) Write 520MB/s (IOPS 90k)

I think ill stick to the Pro series 128gb for now, the specs above look so much better...
128gb should be enough so an OS and programs right?
I just thought that if the other SSDs are better and bigger for a little bit extra, I might aswell go for them but I think ill just stick to the SSD i was going to get original :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 2, 2013 3:27:48 PM

honestly you wont notice the difference in the write speeds unless you do a lot of work that requires quick saving like compiling or video editing etc.

the 250GB 840 will be a better deal.
Share
a c 88 G Storage
September 2, 2013 3:31:02 PM

Dayle McNeela said:


Samsung 830 SSD | Read 520MB/s (IOPS 80k) Write 400MB/s (IOPS 36k)

Samsung 840 SSD | Read 540MB/s (IOPS 96k) Write 250MB/s (IOPS 62k)

Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Read 540 MB/s (IOPS 100k) Write 520MB/s (IOPS 90k)

I think ill stick to the Pro series 128gb for now, the specs above look so much better...
128gb should be enough so an OS and programs right?
I just thought that if the other SSDs are better and bigger for a little bit extra, I might aswell go for them but I think ill just stick to the SSD i was going to get original :) 


The Chronos Deluxe pulls 90K IOops as well, although the throughput on the 840 Pro is indeed better. I have two Chronos Deluxe SSDs in my PC, one 120 and one 240. The 120 does fill up quite quickly once I toss my OS on there, Office, as well as various IDEs and professional programs. I have one Steam library on my second SSD as well as a bunch of other games. My remaining Steam library is on platter drives in RAID0
m
0
l
!