8350 Temps for prime 95

OdusBK

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Mb: asus sabertooth 990fx
cpu: amd 8350
cooler: noctua nh d14

Currently i have my 8350 overclocked to 4.6, everything is smooth but the problem is when i run prime95 the temp skyrockets within a minute it reaches 70C and keeps rising until 80C (idk exactly how far it goes because i immediately stopped the test at 80C, btw not a single core failed)

Earlier i had it a 4.4 and the temp maxed out at around 75c after running for about 30mins (no core failures either), but at idle it barely breaks 25C. (stays at 20C) The problem is that i see people who say their cpu is maxing at no more than 60 under full load...i know that i only have a air cooling system and its not as good a a water or custom water but do i have a stable oc?

Solution

8350rocks

Distinguished

Your problem is very likely your thermal paste isn't applied properly...you used too much or too little. Those temps are HIGH. Dangerously high. Max on the FX series is 62C, you shouldn't see higher than that. You may be able to alleviate it some by backing off on your vcore, but you still should reapply your thermal paste and make sure it's good.

Solution

OdusBK

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
At first i thought i used too much, (about 1week ago when i first built it) so today i used less i thought itd help but it didnt... i also made sure that the fans were facing the right way and they were, when playing the temp stays at about 50C-54C...

8350rocks

Distinguished

That temp is fine for a normal game load...

OdusBK

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Here i took a screenshot shortly after i stopped the test, the cpu temp dropped a little bit more till 20C
awm3.png

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
I don't know if you were still looking for an answer. But with the chip, it runs really hot, once you hit 4.6-4.8 it jumps over 10-20 degress. That air cooler is top notch, but unless your case is also top notch, your still going to run hot. Had that same problem with mine once I finally reached that frequency. Got a custom liquid setup on mine now, 4.87, prime for over an hour now, temps 57 degrees. My cooling, is xspc block, d5 photon pump/res 180mm, 360mm deep rad with 6 fans push pull, and 260mm deep rad 4 fans push pull. I know each chip is different, but if mine is liquid cooled to the max and hitting high 50's, yours is on top end air, hitting higher thermals makes sense? To me. Otherwise maybe try a different thermal paste?