Sign in with
Your question
Solved

8350 @ 4.5Ghz - Really high socket temps on liquid

Last response: in Overclocking
September 2, 2013 6:08:25 PM

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a 8350 on a M5A99X Evo R 2.0 with a H80i cooler. I've managed to get a stable overclock of 4.5 Ghz at 1.38v however I can't seem to push it further due to socket temps. I've read that people have been able to get 4.5 on stock heat sinks... So I don't know why I can't push this thing further.

Idle on the core is 22~
Idle on the socket is 42~
Load (Prime95) on the core is 48~
Load (Prime95) on the socket is 70~

I've done a lot of reading and correct me if I'm wrong, the core temps thermal limit is 62 and socket limit is 72. I have much more room to push this thing in terms of core temps and voltage, but I can't because of the high socket temp.

Some people say ignore the socket, others say don't. I imagine that my core temps would be higher than what they are if the sink wasn't seated properly with thermal paste and all that.

I just wanted to see what you guys think in terms of pushing it farther and if I can.

Appreciate the help.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2013 6:13:59 PM

Its core temps that you should look at and not socket temp!
September 2, 2013 6:21:41 PM

redeemer said:
Its core temps that you should look at and not socket temp!

So then I can keep pushing this thing until I get close to 62 on the core, and it doesn't matter what my socket temp gets to?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 2, 2013 7:38:36 PM

Really I would not push it much past the 4.5. And at 4.5 you have a really good overclock any way in my opinion.
m
l
!