new fx 6300 system reboots warframe

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I have a new system... at least parts of it. An FX 6300 on an Asus M5A99x EVO R2, 2x4g matched 8166 Corsair Vengeance, and a XFX Radeon 2g dual fan 7870 GPU. Only problem that I saw was that my 550W PSU only has 2 6 pin for the GPu and 1 4pin for the ATX 8pin connector on the MOBO. Boots up fine, but with all the AMD mumbo jumbo and the MOBO mumbo jumbo I have a hard time finding stock settings and getting it to live with it. Something keeps wanting to grab control of my fans, settings go grey in Overdrive, etc. anyway... it will boot, I can get into Warframe gaming session, FPS in the 70s, all good, then it reboots or shuts me down after 10 min. Advice?

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Logisys "all-clear-power" PS550AC. Rated Voltage of +3.3, 5.0, 12, -12, -5.0, +5Vsb. Amps of 30A, 38, 35, 0.8, 0.5, 2.

Should also note this is with stock sink and fan. There are two 80 mm case fans exhausting, one front and back (plus the power supply fan). Two 80mm vents on top for air intake. All with blue LED. The CPU fan is on CPU0, the back fan is Chas1, the front fan is on Chas3. All these fans are sometimes visible and controllable on Overdrive, although I set them to auto since I do not have a better specific scheme, but sometimes are greyed out. I thought it was a bios setting and that I had resolved that, but no, sometimes greyed out.

I am wondering about the thermal paste as well, maybe was too thick?

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Oh, Wow! Thanks for the warning! The PSU did fine with my Athlon and HD 4600 series. I wondered when I swapped this to my son's case, only has a 350W PSU, if it would even work. Seems to work just as well as in my case. I guess your comment would explain why!

Any suggestions for a different clear acrylic PSU unit, blue LED?

/I know, but my case is so pretty see-thru and blue!

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Clear LED multi color: Apevia Iceberg 680-Watt Power Supply List Price: $109.99 Price: $58.80
Blackish grey, no color: Coolermaster RS600-PCARE3-U 600W $66.00

I need two PCI 6 pin connectors for the Radeon 7870, and one 8 pin CPU power, and one 24 pin MOBO Power connector. Seems hard to find all this together.

I know of no quality clear PSUs, and a couple that are no better than what you have (e.g. Apevia, Raidmax).
I did find this Silverstone: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256065 which has a blue fan, but it is not illuminated. Without spending a lot of money, I did not see any illuminated models I'd buy myself. If you don't mind spending for aesthetics though, this Antec is a lot more power than you need (so it will not be operating in an efficient part of its range): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371066
As an alternative to an illuminated PSU, consider adding lighting effects to the inside of your case, and/or use blue LED case fans throughout. You might then choose this Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119 (which does have a blue label!) but is a fantastic PSU.

Edit: Apevia and CM are two brands to avoid for PSUs. Although CM is finally having some of their newest units built by Seasonic, most of their others are simply not good.

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Thanks for your help Onus. I really appreciate it.

I wonder if the Seasonic has two 6pins for my Radeon HD 7870? I did see that it has a 24 and an 8 pin, so that's perfect. At least the label is blue!

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
This one is available at my local... uggh... Fry's for $90 - a 50 rebate. I cant tell from the "modular" power chord photo and description if it has an 8 pin. I do see two 6 pins. It has a blue LED. Raidmax RX-630Z Smart Modular ATX Power Supply 630w.

And these others, but no rebate...
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 600W PSU $70
Thermaltake Smart 750w ATX Power Supply 80 PLUS Bronze $80
Zalman ZM600-GT 600W Power Supply $86.00

Raidmax is not a reputable brand, nor is Thermaltake (although the latter has a couple of good units, the brand is hit or miss, so I'd skip it).
The non-modular Corsair CX is made with some inferior Samxon capacitors. They're fine when new, but don't hold up because they don't like heat. The modular ones, though made by the same company (CWT) use all-Japanese capacitors.
I'm not familiar with Zalman, but don't recall them ever offering any highly-recommended units (or notable disasters). I generally buy Seasonic or Antec, and haven't had a PSU problem with any of them.
The Seasonic I linked has 2x6+2 pin connectors.

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Unfortunately our local geek store (not Frys but Enuinc) does not have either brand. They do have Thermaltake TR2-600 and it looks good on paper. I wonder of it is one of the hits? Generally enu only carries tried and true products (rather than a wide selection).

They do have the modular Corsair for like $300, and the non modular for $60. I have max $89 to spend. ;(

Meoricin

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Just because Thermaltake have some good products won't make their PSUs good. They're a generally decent company, but with PSUs it seems that lots of decent companies will happily slap their logo on any old crap.

Why not buy online? You'll pay less, and will be able to pick the product you choose, rather than those offered to you.

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013

Yes. Enuinc dot com. Thanks!

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Well, cause I'm an idiot and broke my system by installing old components in family member's box for his use... Didn't expect a problem with the PSU since it claims to be 550W. Now I need my machine for some intensive graphics aps for work. Need it running stable by tonight.

/stupid me

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I picked up a Thermaltake 600w for $60 and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro rev 2 for $30. Seems to have solved all issues. Now much cooler and quieter. No shut downs during load. Very cool.

Thanks for all the advice. It was sad to loose the glowing blue light. But much better to know that the power is better.

If this one dies in a year I will replace. But I was out of funds and out of time. Hopefully this one will do me for a while.

Cheers!

sblafren

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Will do, agreed. Thanks so much for your advice. Saved me testing a lot of other hardware. Seems to indeed have been my PSU. Hopefully this one will do until I can afford better. Thanks again!