Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"new" mobo problem caused by RAM?

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Graphics Cards
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 3, 2013 7:06:11 AM

Hi, I got a used mobo from a relative that HAS been tested and has worked for him, however I could not get it to work. He tested it with one graphics card in only one slot - same with one RAM stick.

So my setup was like this: mobo asus p8z68-v pro gen 3 with Intel Core i5 3330 cpu and fan on it, OCZ CXS500W PSU, and one 8 GB RAM stick - all on the ground (on a mettalic case in which the mobo was in, so it's safe. Graphics card is GTX 560 Ti Hawk

What I've found out so far:
-When I remove the graphics card and put RAM in different slots, here's what happens
*1st slot - 1 long beep, 2 short beeps (continuously)
*2nd and 3rd slots - turns on and off repeatedly (no beeps)
*4th slot - no beeps, no display - turns on and keeps running

Note: I have tried 2 different graphics cards, different RAMs and different PSUs, so I know that it is the mother board. If the motherboard was working, then all I have to do is find the working RAM slot, but each slot has a different problem.

More about : mobo problem caused ram

September 3, 2013 8:30:29 AM

Did you reset the bios to default values before testing?
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 10:32:56 AM

Barhumbug said:
Did you reset the bios to default values before testing?

How do I do that? Clear CMOS? If yes, then yes.
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 11:28:34 AM

Few other things to consider:

1. Are all the power cables attached to the motherboards okay? (sorry - have to ask).
2. Have you tried it using the integrated graphics?
3. Are you using the same type of CPU that your relative used?
4. Have you updated the bios?
5. I appreciate that you've tried different RAMs, but are they compatible, and is the RAM voltage set correctly?
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 11:50:18 AM

Barhumbug said:
Few other things to consider:

1. Are all the power cables attached to the motherboards okay? (sorry - have to ask).
2. Have you tried it using the integrated graphics?
3. Are you using the same type of CPU that your relative used?
4. Have you updated the bios?
5. I appreciate that you've tried different RAMs, but are they compatible, and is the RAM voltage set correctly?


1. Yes, everything is attached.
2. I did, but same results
3. I have a 3rd Gen i5, he had 3rd Gen i7 - should be okay.
4. I have no idea if that is even possible, if I cannot get to bios?
5. Yes, the RAMs are compatible, but I don't know how to set the RAM voltage (but I think it's correct).
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 12:57:16 PM

Okay the Bios should be fine and should run your CPU and RAM okay.
I take it you're breadboarding the motherboard on a non-conductive surface? (slightly concerned about the 'metallic case the motherboard was in' statement).
The 1 long beep, 2 short beeps indicates a RAM problem and is the only diagnosis you have to go on at the moment.
You've done everything I would try, so maybe you need to go back to your relative and see if the board is still working for him?
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 1:22:08 PM

Barhumbug said:
Okay the Bios should be fine and should run your CPU and RAM okay.
I take it you're breadboarding the motherboard on a non-conductive surface? (slightly concerned about the 'metallic case the motherboard was in' statement).
The 1 long beep, 2 short beeps indicates a RAM problem and is the only diagnosis you have to go on at the moment.
You've done everything I would try, so maybe you need to go back to your relative and see if the board is still working for him?


He lives in another country, so that won't be possible. I will try googling and trying everything I find, but maybe someone here knows a thing I could try?

p.s. Can some of this be caused because the mobo bios version doesn't support my cpu? I found this http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

There are two versions of my cpu and each of them require a different bios version. What if this is the problem? Maybe I can try getting a different intel cpu, but not sure if that will be possible.
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 11:19:21 PM

eedijs said:
Barhumbug said:
Okay the Bios should be fine and should run your CPU and RAM okay.
I take it you're breadboarding the motherboard on a non-conductive surface? (slightly concerned about the 'metallic case the motherboard was in' statement).
The 1 long beep, 2 short beeps indicates a RAM problem and is the only diagnosis you have to go on at the moment.
You've done everything I would try, so maybe you need to go back to your relative and see if the board is still working for him?


He lives in another country, so that won't be possible. I will try googling and trying everything I find, but maybe someone here knows a thing I could try?

p.s. Can some of this be caused because the mobo bios version doesn't support my cpu? I found this http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

There are two versions of my cpu and each of them require a different bios version. What if this is the problem? Maybe I can try getting a different intel cpu, but not sure if that will be possible.


This is why I asked if you have updated the bios - to make sure that it supports your CPU. Usually if in doubt - install the very latest bios available for the board which looks like version 3606. But you may need to put in an older (compatible) CPU before you can do the update.
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 7:51:54 AM

Barhumbug said:
eedijs said:
Barhumbug said:
Okay the Bios should be fine and should run your CPU and RAM okay.
I take it you're breadboarding the motherboard on a non-conductive surface? (slightly concerned about the 'metallic case the motherboard was in' statement).
The 1 long beep, 2 short beeps indicates a RAM problem and is the only diagnosis you have to go on at the moment.
You've done everything I would try, so maybe you need to go back to your relative and see if the board is still working for him?


He lives in another country, so that won't be possible. I will try googling and trying everything I find, but maybe someone here knows a thing I could try?

p.s. Can some of this be caused because the mobo bios version doesn't support my cpu? I found this http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

There are two versions of my cpu and each of them require a different bios version. What if this is the problem? Maybe I can try getting a different intel cpu, but not sure if that will be possible.


This is why I asked if you have updated the bios - to make sure that it supports your CPU. Usually if in doubt - install the very latest bios available for the board which looks like version 3606. But you may need to put in an older (compatible) CPU before you can do the update.


That is the problem - I don't have and can't get a intel that is supported by this bios, BUT I gave the mobo to my local computer shop and I explained my problem, so hopefully it will work after they update the bios. I will update this thread when I get my mobo back.
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 9:01:43 AM

eedijs said:
Barhumbug said:
eedijs said:
Barhumbug said:
Okay the Bios should be fine and should run your CPU and RAM okay.
I take it you're breadboarding the motherboard on a non-conductive surface? (slightly concerned about the 'metallic case the motherboard was in' statement).
The 1 long beep, 2 short beeps indicates a RAM problem and is the only diagnosis you have to go on at the moment.
You've done everything I would try, so maybe you need to go back to your relative and see if the board is still working for him?


He lives in another country, so that won't be possible. I will try googling and trying everything I find, but maybe someone here knows a thing I could try?

p.s. Can some of this be caused because the mobo bios version doesn't support my cpu? I found this http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

There are two versions of my cpu and each of them require a different bios version. What if this is the problem? Maybe I can try getting a different intel cpu, but not sure if that will be possible.


This is why I asked if you have updated the bios - to make sure that it supports your CPU. Usually if in doubt - install the very latest bios available for the board which looks like version 3606. But you may need to put in an older (compatible) CPU before you can do the update.


That is the problem - I don't have and can't get a intel that is supported by this bios, BUT I gave the mobo to my local computer shop and I explained my problem, so hopefully it will work after they update the bios. I will update this thread when I get my mobo back.


Probably the best thing to do. Please do update - I'd love to find out what the problem was.

m
0
l
September 6, 2013 11:38:42 AM

The solution was pretty simple - BIOS update, because the first BIOS version didn't support my CPU, so I had to go to my computer shop to put in another Intel CPU and install the newest version. So far so good, everything is working! Thanks for the help.
m
0
l
!