Is my 9800 GT dead?

curtains1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Hi guys,
I'm relatively unfamiliar with computer stuff, so I apologize in advance if I make any rookie mistakes in my post.
I've recently been having with my 4 year old pc:
Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
4 gb ram
GeForce 9800 GT
Windows Vista

Playing Skyrim last week I began noticing pop-ins and some strange object flickering. Then I started getting freezes. Finally it got to the point where if I tried to continue a saved game, or start a new one, the screen would flash a bunch of crazy colors before freezing and I'd need to do a hard reboot.
I had installed new nVidia drivers fairly recently, so thinking that that might have been the problem I rolled back my drivers to the previous version. Still no luck. I then tried uninstalling my drivers from the Device Manager, rebooting, and doing a clean install of my drivers. After this, my 9800 GT showed up in my Device Manager with an 'Error 43' message, and I was stuck in low-res mode.
Now my BIOS screen is all scrambled at start-up with weird symbols, and my computer freezes on a black screen with very faint, little green lines shortly after the Windows start-up logo appears. The only way I can start my computer in normal mode is if I uninstall my 9800 GT drivers in safe mode before rebooting.

Is my gpu toast? How should I proceed? Realistically, I'm about 6 months to a year away from being able to afford a new pc, so what I'd really like is to buy a cheap interim graphics card for the time being. Is Newegg my best bet to find a cheap replacement card?

Solution

Alright your hardware is looking good so now we need to get down to business and discuss your budget for a new card? I can throw out a bunch of recommendations but I would like to choose one with in a price range you can afford :)

jimbopops

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
As much as I love the 9800 GT, I think its time to upgrade my friend. Your cpu is fine for now so I don't see a reason to upgrade your whole computer. You can easily get a cheap graphics card on Newegg that will run Skyrim easily.

If you could possibly list your system model number(if your pc isn't custom) I could suggest some relatively "cheap" graphics cards.

curtains1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Thanks for the help! How exactly do I find my system model number, though? I had my pc custom built online several years ago - I think it was cyberpower, but I don't remember and don't have the paperwork with me.

jimbopops

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

It would help if you could post pictures of the motherboard as well as list if you can the PSU you are currently using :)

curtains1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I've got a RaidMax RX-500S ATX12V power supply, and Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3L motherboard. Can't post any pictures at the moment :)

jimbopops

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Alright your hardware is looking good so now we need to get down to business and discuss your budget for a new card? I can throw out a bunch of recommendations but I would like to choose one with in a price range you can afford :)

Solution

curtains1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I guess my budget is somewhere around $100. Initially, I was thinking that I'd get a super cheap card just for a few months until I could afford a new pc, however if a better card could allow me to postpone buying a new computer for another year or so, it'd be worth it. Thanks again for all the help!

Radeon HD 7770 can get one for about $100 should easily run with that psu even though its a raidmax which isnt the best but it it worked before should be fine now. Or a 7750 if u want a cheap one to start out with, either is qutie a bit better than the 9800 gt

curtains1

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks a ton for all the help! I really appreciate your patience, guys.

The HD 7770 sounds perfect. I did some searching on Newegg and found an ASUS 2gb HD7770 which, while a few bucks more than the 1gb, should allow me to utilize more graphics mods in games like Skyrim and Fallout.

My final question is, is there anything I should do before I remove my old gpu? I've uninstalled the drivers - should I also go through and delete all my old Nvidia folders, or is it okay just to pop out my 9800 GT and worry about that stuff later? I'm kind of sick of seeing my BIOS screen all messed up.

Thanks again for all the advice!