Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

590 GTX in SLI on a asrock extreme7 Gen3

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 3, 2013 1:06:44 PM

Hey Guys,

Im updating my motherboard to the ASROCK Extreme7 Gen3 board namely cause I was ale to pick up a third 570 relatively cheap and that board is designed for three way sli.

However Im thinking of upgrading to 2x590 GTX. But will this board support this? Im thinking because alot of the threads Ive seen refer to 590 in SLI as 'quad' SLI as there technically two GPUS in one.

Thanks,


Neil
September 3, 2013 1:09:46 PM

Are you sure you want to upgrade to two GTX 590's in SLI? They have really low availability, and an overclocked GTX 670 can match a 590 anyway.

m
0
l
September 3, 2013 1:15:54 PM

bemused_fred said:
Are you sure you want to upgrade to two GTX 590's in SLI? They have really low availability, and an overclocked GTX 670 can match a 590 anyway.



Thanks Fred,

Ive actually got two from ebay quite recently, there is a few kicking around there. Ideally id like two GTX 590 MARS II editions but there rarer than leprachauns..

Its just a matter if my board can support two in SLI.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 3, 2013 1:27:05 PM

neilhartop said:


Thanks Fred,

Ive actually got two from ebay quite recently, there is a few kicking around there. Ideally id like two GTX 590 MARS II editions but there rarer than leprachauns..

Its just a matter if my board can support two in SLI.


Oh, in that case, you should probably be fine. While it is technically a quad-SLI configuration, the two cards essentially run like a 2-way SLI configuration, and can manage on an x8/x8 PCIe configuration. You should be very unlikely to have any problems with this array.
m
0
l
September 3, 2013 1:48:29 PM

bemused_fred said:
neilhartop said:


Thanks Fred,

Ive actually got two from ebay quite recently, there is a few kicking around there. Ideally id like two GTX 590 MARS II editions but there rarer than leprachauns..

Its just a matter if my board can support two in SLI.


Oh, in that case, you should probably be fine. While it is technically a quad-SLI configuration, the two cards essentially run like a 2-way SLI configuration, and can manage on an x8/x8 PCIe configuration. You should be very unlikely to have any problems with this array.


Amazing, thankyou.

On that note then is it possible then to add a third 590? since I still have a slot free and this is a board designed for three cards.

I do alot of 4k editing, and Photoshop as well doubling up for gaming I case you might think I might be over doing it.

Thanks,
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 12:59:28 AM

neilhartop said:


Amazing, thankyou.

On that note then is it possible then to add a third 590? since I still have a slot free and this is a board designed for three cards.

I do alot of 4k editing, and Photoshop as well doubling up for gaming I case you might think I might be over doing it.

Thanks,




4 is the absolute limit on any configuration of Nvidia or AMD GPUs. Not that you'd really need any more any way...
m
0
l
!